DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

7 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Sure enough, in the dark, I had not realised I hadn't put the rubber bung back in. For those of you with new KKs, how are you finding the stainless steel upgrade? @rokdok and @tekobo 

Sorry, I am no help here @Braai-Q.  I think the stainless steel upgrade looks pretty but, as I don't use any of those monitors with probes, I have not had any reason to play with the stainless steel plug or the plastic bung before it.  

8 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Too bad Braai-Q, a simple overlook and boom..out go the lites. No big deal, tomorrow is just a few hours away. Your still batting 998.9. 

It was a rookie mistake. I caught it early enough but a 14h cook was about 8h as a result. But I think the flavour profile would not have changed so I saved some charcoal. Maybe? :-)  

Useful to share with those new to the KK. A black KK with black bungs and used at night has disadvantages.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Sorry, I am no help here @Braai-Q.  I think the stainless steel upgrade looks pretty but, as I don't use any of those monitors with probes, I have not had any reason to play with the stainless steel plug or the plastic bung before it.  

I feel an upsell opportunity coming on. Have you considered a Fireboard? I'm very impressed with mine. Joking aside.

42 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

Have you considered a Fireboard?

Nope.  I have a box of unused kit with wires.  I tend to use multiple probes from my MEATER block if I have to and I am relaxed about some variation in temp if I fail to set the KK vents right.  Always learning but still not convinced of the need for blowers and wired probes.  

• Like 1

Just now, tekobo said:

Nope.  I have a box of unused kit with wires.  I tend to use multiple probes from my MEATER block if I have to and I am relaxed about some variation in temp if I fail to set the KK vents right.  Always learning but still not convinced of the need for blowers and wired probes.  

I'm the middle ground. Don't see the point of the blowers but the probes are brilliant. The app is also really good. BBQ guru always felt a bit homemade Radioshack which is what I recall you have.

I have a Meater and don't find it's as reliable. I have a weapons grade WiFI network with repeaters and I just find the connection is flakey. Fireboard is rock solid in that regard. I'll do a live Zoom for you and you can subscribe to my cook in realtime (yeah, you can do a share via the cloud so the people you can't invite get to see the progress of your cook). I have no idea what the use case of having a share function of your cook is other than 'because you can'. I really rate the Fireboard, particularly compared to other products in the market. 

Sorry, going off topic but playing the 'this contributes to better quality of content in this thread' argument. :-) 

I agree that the connectivity for the MEATER, even the block, can be flaky but it has been good enough for me so far.  I guess when we start going out again I might start to get interested in other methods.  As it is, I have a Cyber Q and a Maverick set up that I have used once each.  No buying signals here.  Yet.  

Tekobo although I agree with you and the Meater is my go to for regular cooks, the Smartfire( or other fan controllers) are brilliant for long, low temp cooks, despite having wires everywhere. I can drive away to an unlimited distance and get on with a day while still monitoring the KK oven temp and internal protein temp through the app in my phone. Work, kids sport, elsewhere commitments are no problem
I can raise temps remotely if it’s cooking too slow, and wind the KK oven temp down to 100c if it’s too fast.

Braai your last cook leaves my gilled T bones for dead.
17daa6974bb5f2c3d87fe3ae59856642.jpg
Have you walked into your butcher and seen lean steaks on sale, then noted half a tray is heavily marbled?.... I hand selected a few of these out.
5aab501ff5b554483352e6b292cffe87.jpg
That’s the good wife’s cooked to medium... didn’t get a chance to photo the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Basher said:

I can drive away to an unlimited distance

Ha.  If only.  We might be able to leave home in about a month's time.  That and the fact that I probably do a lot fewer time and temp critical low and slow cooks mean that I have not seen the need.  Yet.  Never say never.  

• Like 3

To celebrate the tease of an early spring (it was 45F), threw some snags on the grill and made some coleslaw to get me in a summertime mood. Our local supermarket (HyVee) makes good bratwursts. These are bacon-cheddar and jalapeno-cheddar.

932664395_FauxSpringSnags001.thumb.jpg.4ffe207cd4e22246e46c566bda9f4068.jpg

Color on the coleslaw is from the purple crack. Trader Joe's tater tots done in the airfryer, with Peruvian green sauce (the other crack!) @Troble will catch the beer homage!

161720920_FauxSpringSnags002.thumb.jpg.cb8c4d517cff5546256252ddc0acf6e6.jpg

• Like 11

@Troble spotted that Pliny right away - tease! Spuds & green crack sauce - doesn't get much better than that! 

In celebration of the snow finally starting to melt here (we might even reach the 50s by end of the week!), marinated a nice Denver steak from Porter Rd in the liquid koji w/roasted garlic powder and black pepper for a couple of hours. Then rubbed with Gunpowder before going on the lower grate with post oak and mesquite chunks.

1574680345_SnowMeltDenverSteaks002.thumb.jpg.10df81ff0a3800772453d0a7fd9e52c4.jpg

Plated with some shrooms, chimichurri, sautéed kale and a nice Zin. The 1st course didn't make the photo shoot - short rib ravioli with a mixed mushroom brodo. Seriously good, but seriously difficult to source the raviolis (Rana, but only available as a "commercial" item - not retail! 😢)

1410446506_SnowMeltDenverSteaks004.thumb.jpg.fb37691d0f18df5905879436a68d14a4.jpg

• Like 8

Marinated balsamic leg of lamb with smoked onion salt.  Seeing Trobles Peruvian Green Sauce made me think that I needed a simple sauce condiment to go with the potatoes and lamb. That was a sour cream base with Dry thyme, chives and rosemary leaves and let to sit for a few hours prior in the frig. I would assume fresh is better, however nothing was available. 2 and 1/2 hours spinning on the Santa Maria, it could have been shorter, but it was a 45 out and I thought it a heat wave, plus the fire was warm and the wine was tasty. Infusing sour cream....many possibilities, many combo's.

DSCF3363.JPG

DSCF3362.JPG

DSCF3368.JPG

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

it could have been shorter, but it was a 45 out and I thought it a heat wave, plus the fire was warm and the wine was tasty.

:supz:

Took advantage of our "heat wave" here, too! Low 40s and sunny. Half rack of baby backs, Lane's BBQ Signature rub, main grate, indirect (foil on the lower grate), smoker pot with hickory & peach, Guru running at 225F. Sorry, I totally spaced and forgot to take the full setup picture. I disassembled everything and slathered on the sauce, put the rack on the lower grate, direct to set the sauce (blend of my house spicy BBQ and TJ's roasted garlic BBQ sauce.) 

1939807773_SpringThawRibs001.thumb.jpg.8311f737eb9911f4c4ee07189d2da522.jpg

Made homemade cole slaw and potato salad to go with it. Nice Rose from TJs.

1707678464_SpringThawRibs002.thumb.jpg.7fd055ab25ee55b86786a3c3d87bc5de.jpg

• Like 8