DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

I just put some beef ribs on (I believe they are plate ribs) they were on sale at my local grocery store. Using my 475 ml MSR Syzygies styled smoke pot with B&B comp pellets. Will update in the mornin these are going over night.
86bee58d182e9f63bb4954913305f7fb.jpg
6a722198dfe76d7dd36318838307175f.jpg
34e9503a936d7c9497984f57b566a430.jpg
ac80cec2a7c101287dc60d7e38936f84.png
40933477627ce0d8e40c5ec518e3c3cc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

20 hours ago, alimac23 said:

That shawarma looks amazing tekobo!

What rub / marinade did you use for the chicken, and how long does it take to cook?

I’ve got one headed across in the mail as we speak.

Thanks all for your kind comments.  First I must give credit where credit is due.  To @Troble for introducing the concept and leading the way with shawarma on the rotisserie and then on to this vertical cooking method and to @BOC for encouraging me to make my own Trompo King. 

Spices used came from this pack from our local Meditteranean store.  Tasting the powder on its own is yak but super tasty when spread liberally on the chicken and cooked.  

IMG_9194.thumb.jpeg.10c71dcc8e8ee7510fd437feb25f9194.jpeg

I have to admit that I am not sure about the temp or the timing.  Temp was approx 180C-200C and timing between half an hour and 45 minutes before I started slicing.  

@Tyrus this is a home made contraption.  The cast iron tray at the bottom helps to keep the vertical spike in place and provides a fire shield during the early part of the cook.  I considered @Forrest's suggestion that you sit your Trompo King on a double drip tray to avoid burning the juices.  That would work for the cooking phase but not for the crisping up phase.  My foil solution was clumsy but effective.  Next try will be troble's adobado and I will see if an alternative idea appears.  In the meantime here is my completely free re-purposing of a cake tin that I had only ever used once or twice to make cake and now have used for vertical roasting at least ten times.  Works a treat and cleans up beautifully after each cook.

IMG_9195.thumb.jpeg.9fd3cfbac08e28982cbae95e4bff7ad6.jpeg

IMG_9196.thumb.jpeg.15f3eb459b12f09793b344aa619573aa.jpeg

IMG_9197.thumb.jpeg.b29d5721f79f745ca0082e88b5755936.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks all for your kind comments.  First I must give credit where credit is due.  To [mention=3485]Troble[/mention] for introducing the concept and leading the way with shawarma on the rotisserie and then on to this vertical cooking method and to [mention=3675]BOC[/mention] for encouraging me to make my own Trompo King. 
Spices used came from this pack from our local Meditteranean store.  Tasting the powder on its own is yak but super tasty when spread liberally on the chicken and cooked.  
IMG_9194.thumb.jpeg.10c71dcc8e8ee7510fd437feb25f9194.jpeg
I have to admit that I am not sure about the temp or the timing.  Temp was approx 180C-200C and timing between half an hour and 45 minutes before I started slicing.  
[mention=3045]Tyrus[/mention] this is a home made contraption.  The cast iron tray at the bottom helps to keep the vertical spike in place and provides a fire shield during the early part of the cook.  I considered [mention=3733]Forrest[/mention]'s suggestion that you sit your Trompo King on a double drip tray to avoid burning the juices.  That would work for the cooking phase but not for the crisping up phase.  My foil solution was clumsy but effective.  Next try will be troble's adobado and I will see if an alternative idea appears.  In the meantime here is my completely free re-purposing of a cake tin that I had only ever used once or twice to make cake and now have used for vertical roasting at least ten times.  Works a treat and cleans up beautifully after each cook.
IMG_9195.thumb.jpeg.9fd3cfbac08e28982cbae95e4bff7ad6.jpeg
IMG_9196.thumb.jpeg.15f3eb459b12f09793b344aa619573aa.jpeg
IMG_9197.thumb.jpeg.b29d5721f79f745ca0082e88b5755936.jpeg

Hello Tekobo,

Going to receive my cheapo Trompo this weak (the real one not available on Amazon Canada).
The bottom is just a plate, so your setup interest me. What exactly was the function of the foil (you managed to keep it watertight and just used it as a vessel in a vessel?) and how you managed the change of setup when you were ready to slice? Put the juice aside or kept it when crisping the meat?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Sorry for not being as clear as I could have been @Bruine.  The problem I had on previous cooks was that the juices ran into the bowl of the cake tin and burned up. When I came to slice it wasn't an attractive destination for my nice juicy meat.  My solution was impromptu and rather crude.  I rolled up foil and put it in the bottom of the bowl like so:

IMG_9198.thumb.jpeg.8047e1183b3f0e38a79a890ca80e631c.jpeg

With this last cook some juice and fat from the chicken skin collected on top of an around the foil.  When I was ready to slice I pulled out the foil, leaving a nice amount of liquid.  It was just perfect to toss the chicken slices in while doing the crisping.  Extra tastiness.  

• Like 3

Sorry for not being as clear as I could have been [mention=3735]Bruine[/mention].  The problem I had on previous cooks was that the juices ran into the bowl of the cake tin and burned up. When I came to slice it wasn't an attractive destination for my nice juicy meat.  My solution was impromptu and rather crude.  I rolled up foil and put it in the bottom of the bowl like so:
IMG_9198.thumb.jpeg.8047e1183b3f0e38a79a890ca80e631c.jpeg

With this last cook some juice and fat from the chicken skin collected on top of an around the foil.  When I was ready to slice I pulled out the foil, leaving a nice amount of liquid.  It was just perfect to toss the chicken slices in while doing the crisping.  Extra tastiness.  

Thx,

I understand better.
Will see how I reproduce that.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Rotisserie chooks round 1.

Prime rib rub inside and out.
325-350 for 2 hrs. 5lbs each.
Rosemary garlic veggies roasting under on the double bottom...learned two things.

1. Temp dropped about 50 F degrees on the dome thermometer when I added veggies. Hard to say if it was actually 50 cooler.
2. Don’t get distracted and forget to stir your veggies

All turned out delicious. The chicken was fantastic.

Cheers to all!
c155d73a128d547144eb7324498874a1.jpeg
2964838e2041c5adf647c788f3674bbf.jpg

• Like 5

[mention=3070]tekobo[/mention] fantastic work. Try the shawarma recipe that I got from Padma that I posted in the beef section it’s my favorite to date. Gonna try it on chicken soon
im very excited to see your adobada tacos!

4959ce9b6349f6fffcfd7c6caca58e01.jpg

This is what I use. It’s so so good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To [mention=3485]Troble[/mention] for introducing the concept and leading the way with shawarma on the rotisserie and then on to this vertical cooking method and to [mention=3675]BOC[/mention] for encouraging me to make my own Trompo King. 

My question. Was the vertical method that much better than your previous rotisserie method? Was the juice worth the squeeze?

2 hours ago, BOC said:

My question. Was the vertical method that much better than your previous rotisserie method? Was the juice worth the squeeze?

I needed to abandon the rotisserie method because I could not use the rotisserie and lower grate at the same time on my 32 KK. Therefore I didn’t not have a natural place to set up a tray to slice the meat onto. So my original attempt was I dropped a foil tray directly on the coals but that became hard to manage/slice 

I pivoted to the vertical trompo king because of the need to have a solid collection device for the meat slicing. While it doesn’t rotate to help self baste I do believe that basting with marinade after slicing does the trick 

here’s some of my initial attempts with the rotisserie on my 32

A2148F0F-6131-480C-A547-E5EBD9B8CBA9.jpeg

0B4FD5B1-9920-4802-A6B3-97977801BFFE.jpeg

53E55040-76A1-4975-AD4C-769A434F43AB.jpeg

6B30B70C-0DEC-4F57-BB96-0C54B9AE55CC.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks@Troble

Makes sense as to why you made the switch. Not to send you back to your old ways but that top grate upside down on top of the basket worked very well in my rotisserie chicken over veggies in the double wall yesterday. But it is very close to the fire.

I haven’t tried either for shawarma yet. I’ll probably end up with the trombo as well but very curious if you can tell a difference between methods.

• Thanks 1

@BOC that’s a great tip thanks. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed and I’m often partly drunk when BBQing so I stumble my way to the finish line quite often and don’t always find the easiest path, but the plane usually lands successfully. I will likely try your suggestion sometime in the future 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, BOC said:

Thanks@Troble

Makes sense as to why you made the switch. Not to send you back to your old ways but that top grate upside down on top of the basket worked very well in my rotisserie chicken over veggies in the double wall yesterday. But it is very close to the fire.

I haven’t tried either for shawarma yet. I’ll probably end up with the trombo as well but very curious if you can tell a difference between methods.

Hi Brian.  I liked the rotisserie method because it looks great and you get a crisper finish when you slice the meat onto the pan below.  That said, the vertical method is sooo simple and fuss free that it is a winner for me.  I also think that the vertical method can work well in a 32 set up for two zone cooking. Cook slow on the "cool" zone and then move to the hot zone when you want to slice and give your meat a crisp edge.  You are of course limited by the height of your spike in the vertical method while stacking a rotisserie on a 32 would feed a crowd and would look super impressive.  

• Like 1