DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Nice skewers and meal @tony b

@jeffshoaf good looking butt!

I made tri tip tonight, really been leaning on that cut as it allows my wife to have the more well done end pieces and I can have the medium pieces in the middle 

marinated the tri tip in soy sauce, garlic powder and Montreal steak seasoning for 2 days. Cooked it indirect with mesquite wood then finished on lower grate. Turned out perfect for both of us 

slow baked sweet potato served with Greek yogurt 

grilled asparagus with olive oil, salt, black pepper & garlic powder 

I had some leftover beef broth and a small package of leftover mushrooms that I’d be throwing out in a day or two and since I’ve been on a sauce kick I decided to wing it and make a sauce and see what happened. Let’s call it a Au ju. Beef broth, red onion, mushrooms, garlic, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, brown sugar and black pepper, finished with a bit of meat juice after slicing. Turned out good!

DB7C9A09-3137-4B47-B2D9-C680F7535365.jpeg

33A1C32B-86D1-4411-AEA8-E5441A66C3FF.jpeg

6F649680-1B1B-49E5-8D2E-06C20069382A.jpeg

595CC1BE-4D83-446D-8046-B72D579CE07C.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'd eat that!

It was 83F here yesterday, so I got to eat dinner outside on the deck for the 1st time this year!! :smt041

Since I had been hanging out at a buddy's brewery in the afternoon with friends, dinner had to be a short prep one. First a shot of my buddy's beer - a very nice watermelon sour (Berliner Weiss). I also brought home some of his excellent blonde ale to go with dinner.

426958809_1stOutdoorDinnerof2021001.thumb.jpg.d0b9076b979d5fb8a6c4ac99714cde87.jpg

A couple of snags (cheddar brat and apple & maple brat - the split one). Direct, main grate 325F, with apple wood chunks.

Plated with homemade potato salad, spicy German mustard and that very nice blonde ale.

2027351827_1stOutdoorDinnerof2021004.thumb.jpg.bff0b5e24f26bb6ca979f8300336279b.jpg

1st Outdoor Dinner of 2021 003.jpg

• Like 9

With apologies to @Troble, but I saw what he had for dinner the other night and thought it looked really good, so I decided on a similar combination last night. Pretty much straightforward tri tip with santa maria seasoning, roasted sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus. 

1839440943_KKTriTip042920121.thumb.JPG.056fdf29ae0a6fb8550cf423aa3de674.JPG

176754150_KKTriTipPlate04292021.thumb.JPG.6ba405216393a98c8c1273c1e6e1a656.JPG

It was a very tasty combination, so thanks TR for the idea.

• Like 8

The discussion about Kansas City BBQ made me hungry for hot links. Hickory smoked hot links and corn, potato salad, olives.

1929875991_KKHotLinks04302021.thumb.JPG.f1779571b74e4c7aa2e0287b788d4a86.JPG

And, no, it isn't catsup on the hot links, it is Gate's Extra Hot BBQ sauce. Cooled by a 2008 Schramsberg Reserve sparkling wine on the side.

1588281816_KKHotLinksPlate04302021.thumb.JPG.237f611fd64a187613703cd2d19ca3b7.JPG

• Like 9

Well now, @MacKenzie, I would say mustard goes on both hot dogs and burgers and catsup (ketchup) goes on neither, although I have been known to put it on french fries when I didn't have BBQ sauce available. 😉

(and there is some mustard underneath, camouflaged one might say, that Gate's Extra Hot BBQ sauce on those hot links...)

Edited by jonj
  • Haha 4

I have been wanting a donair for some time now and today was the day.
Did the donair meat 2 days ago, the pita bread yesterday and the sauce today.

Looks awesome. Need the recipes. Just those pitas looks fantastics

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

@Brunie - I always use this recipe for the sauce, nothing could be easier- https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233517/maritime-donair-sauce/

For the donair meat(only) I used this recipe but next time I'd give it a little more zap. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/71963/dashs-donair/

For the pita I used this recipe. I found it many years ago but I am unable to give anyone the credit for it. 

Pita Bread

410g AP unbleached flour (3C)

8.7g salt (1.5t)

12.75g sugar (1T)

8g yeast (1packet)

280g water (10-12 ozs.)

25g light olive oil (2T)

Mix all ingredients together in mixer. Mix for 5 mins. let rest 10 mins. Knead until the dough passes the window pane test for gluten development, about 8 mins. with my mixer.

Place dough in lightly oiled container and roll it around until it is coated with the oil. Cover and let rise until doubled. Depending on room temp it may take 1 – 1.5 hours.

Punch dough down and divide into 8 equal pieces, weighing around 90 g each. Let rest for 20 mins. so that the dough will relax and you can do the sameJ

Heat a pizza stone in the oven, 435 F. Allow to stabilize for 30 mins. I use the convection setting.

Using a wooden cylindrical rolling pin with gaskets on either end roll out the dough to 3/16 in. thick keeping the circular shape. It is important to maintain an even thickness for the pockets to form. You may need to flour the rolling pin and counter top.

I put my pitas on parchment paper, cover them and let rest for about 10 mins. before putting them into the oven. Use a pizza peel to transfer into and out of the oven. Bake for 4 mins. but if you want a more crispy pita leave in for a few more minutes.

Note: 1.You may have to let the dough relax for a few mins. when rolling the pitas out.

2. If you roll out to ¼ inch thick you will get a pita pocket with thicker walls and the pita will hold together better when stuffed.

3. For donairs I like to use no more than the 3/16 thickness.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

@Brunie - I always use this recipe for the sauce, nothing could be easier- https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233517/maritime-donair-sauce/

For the donair meat(only) I used this recipe but next time I'd give it a little more zap. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/71963/dashs-donair/

For the pita I used this recipe. I found it many years ago but I am unable to give anyone the credit for it. 

Pita Bread

Thank you. Looks awesome. Looking forward to trying them all!  

• Like 1

Pita Bread

410g AP unbleached flour (3C)
8.7g salt (1.5t)
12.75g sugar (1T)
8g yeast (1packet)
280g water (10-12 ozs.)
25g light olive oil (2T)
Mix all ingredients together in mixer. Mix for 5 mins. let rest 10 mins. Knead until the dough passes the window pane test for gluten development, about 8 mins. with my mixer.
Place dough in lightly oiled container and roll it around until it is coated with the oil. Cover and let rise until doubled. Depending on room temp it may take 1 – 1.5 hours.
Punch dough down and divide into 8 equal pieces, weighing around 90 g each. Let rest for 20 mins. so that the dough will relax and you can do the sameJ
Heat a pizza stone in the oven, 435 F. Allow to stabilize for 30 mins. I use the convection setting.
Using a wooden cylindrical rolling pin with gaskets on either end roll out the dough to 3/16 in. thick keeping the circular shape. It is important to maintain an even thickness for the pockets to form. You may need to flour the rolling pin and counter top.
I put my pitas on parchment paper, cover them and let rest for about 10 mins. before putting them into the oven. Use a pizza peel to transfer into and out of the oven. Bake for 4 mins. but if you want a more crispy pita leave in for a few more minutes.
Note: 1.You may have to let the dough relax for a few mins. when rolling the pitas out.
2. If you roll out to ¼ inch thick you will get a pita pocket with thicker walls and the pita will hold together better when stuffed.
3. For donairs I like to use no more than the 3/16 thickness.

Thx Mac. Will sur try them

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
  • Like 1