DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Randomly decided to try a prime rib roast on the KK (I usually do the “chef John” oven technique). Really happy! Smoked at 225-240, was a 5.5lb two rib roast and took just under 3 hours to get to 115. Took off and brought dome temp to 450ish, then seared on the sear grate right over fire for about 5 mins total. 

If/when I do it again, I’ll probably cook till 120 internal vs 115 as it was more on rare side vs mid rare but still delicious! Used small amount of apple and cherry, next time probably just use a single chunk vs 2. 

BCD8326F-DE28-428C-9AA5-5B0A25D73758.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Randomly decided to try a prime rib roast on the KK (I usually do the “chef John” oven technique). Really happy! Smoked at 225-240, was a 5.5lb two rib roast and took just under 3 hours to get to 115. Took off and brought dome temp to 450ish, then seared on the sear grate right over fire for about 5 mins total. 

If/when I do it again, I’ll probably cook till 120 internal vs 115 as it was more on rare side vs mid rare but still delicious! Used
small amount of apple and cherry, next time probably just use a single chunk vs 2. 

I'm guessing that your final temp floated up quite a bit from the 115º reading you took on the grate while resting.   The meat keeps cooking when you pull it if the outside was getting hit with 450º for 5 minutes..
The doneness on the video definitely does not look like 115º to me.. more like 120-125º

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I'm guessing that your final temp floated up quite a bit from the 115º reading you took on the grate while resting.   The meat keeps cooking when you pull it if the outside was getting hit with 450º for 5 minutes..
The doneness on the video definitely does not look like 115º to me.. more like 120-125º

Exactly - it ended up about 125 after putting back on for the reverse sear, I think I would have preferred 130-135… But minor quibble. Came out great. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Exactly - it ended up about 125 after putting back on for the reverse sear, I think I would have preferred 130-135… But minor quibble. Came out great. 

I think I have watched your video 12 times lol To me that temp is absolutely perfect !!!!!

Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 1

Rotisserie chicken, over peach wood. Rubbed with salt, pepper, butter, garlic, olive oil, rosemary & lemon thyme from the garden. Butter slices tucked under skin over breasts

air fryed potatoes tossed in olive oil, garlic powder, truffle salt, oregano and Parmesan cheese. 

baby carrots with momofoku savory seasoning roasted in chicken drippings 

DEB4468F-1CD7-4DE2-9358-8326AAE73054.jpeg

4C67A31A-3C23-4EE7-9ABD-39B562676064.jpeg

E218EE9F-914B-4DAE-8FB5-7DD38F107289.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Basher this was a monumental cook, I’ve been cooking on my KK now for over a year and I just figured out I could put my drip pan on top of that metal cage thingy that goes over the coal basket. I’ve always been envious of you using your drip pan under your rotisserie but my drip pan does t sit on the 2nd gate and allow the rotisserie to spin, the only way to it it is on that metal top piece that the heat deflectors would sit on. 

the carrots were amazing all charred and cooked in the chicken juice. Really happy with it all 

• Like 2

Agreed Mac, and yes Troble, having the indirect option mid cook makes the rotisserie a no brainer.
Good to see you worked out a method with the 32”
I still reckon you can get the upper grate flipped to sit on the fire basket and place your tray or foil on this to allow more room for an indirect roti cook, with veges around the edge.
And well timed veges with the roti are very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

[mention=3378]Basher[/mention]you might be right I’ve never used that upper grate/flipped method. Will try to remember for next time 

Yes, I’ve done this. I actually did this and used the double bottom drip on top of it…probably didn’t need to do both but I felt better about the pan not being directly on the fire
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Troble said:

@Basher this was a monumental cook, I’ve been cooking on my KK now for over a year and I just figured out I could put my drip pan on top of that metal cage thingy that goes over the coal basket. I’ve always been envious of you using your drip pan under your rotisserie but my drip pan does t sit on the 2nd gate and allow the rotisserie to spin, the only way to it it is on that metal top piece that the heat deflectors would sit on. 

the carrots were amazing all charred and cooked in the chicken juice. Really happy with it all 

Did you cook direct for awhile first to get that good color then put the drip pan in ?