DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Peru played Brazil today in Copa America. I’ve been wanting to try to cook my Lomo Saltado in the cast iron wok on the KK for some time now, so I gave it a try. Didn’t have any tomatoes but turned out good. Bought some thin sliced grass fed sirloin and didn’t realize it was almost sandwich thin cut, outside of that it was super tasty, better than the soccer game that’s for sure 

9A724D02-61F0-41EB-B3A7-F8D491A9A1E7.jpeg

72600DF8-0068-4810-9616-D8A5043053A2.jpeg

79C146DA-02E0-4ED5-AA5A-6DD5BCAE1093.jpeg

• Like 6

Added a little more peach wood this time and first 10 minutes without a drip pan. Then added the drip pan with veggies in it. I had some issues getting the rotisserie motor aligned this time, but I will do some more test fitting next week, I’m sure it is user error. But I am real happy with the results 😁

CFAFA34B-D0A2-462E-AA07-3533571E0167.jpeg

C4747E04-69AD-4B62-8EFB-B5EADEFF9134.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Basher said:

Perfect birds Bill.
Did you par boiled the veges first or straight into the KK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veggies straight into the dripping, I added some apple cider vinegar and olive oil along with some spices. I put Meat Church Herb and Garlic on all of my veggies and their Lemon Pepper too. Love the Meat Church line of products.

• Like 1

Well- had my first attempt at proper bbq today; and it was not exactly straightforward! Decided a brisket would be the way to go to properly christen my new 32" BB. Picked one up yesterday- on the small side at 2.7kg (6lb), and more point than flat. The wife convinced me not to go straight to an overnight session the first time before I knew what I was doing (wise woman), and given the smaller cut I planned on a hot/fast brisket instead at around 150c (300F). Very cold here this morning, and my first attempt at lighting a small piece of charcoal resulted in me coming to find the fire out completely 20min later- and I had only 40min until I needed to leave for work for a few hours... Got a bit more aggressive with the weed burner, still only lighting a small tennis ball size piece. Got the racks in, foil pouch with mesquite pellets, had covered the brisket with Meat Church Holy Cow. Set my top to where I had thought 300F roughly was based on my burn it- and left the wife in charge for a couple of hours. She checked on it diligently and sent photos of the dome temps, but within 30min it was clear that it needed to be throttled back majorly- as a result it was quite a hot/fast brisket; although it was at 300F to start with, much of the rest of time was spent at 350-400F. The smoke in the first hour was EPIC; lucky no neighbours called the fire department.

I had only opened up 1/4 turn after just touching the gasket; but as mentioned previously I still have a full 1/4 turn of feeling gasket before I get to properly closed- so in reality I was probably 1/2 open or perhaps even a touch more. Live and learn.

Total cooking time was 6.5hrs, wrapped at 170F/ 75C at around the 3.5hr mark. Rested 3hrs in cooler before slicing. Given the pace I had resigned myself to a tough overdone brisket.

Couldn't have been more wrong- it was sooooo good. Tender, melt in the mouth, super smoky. Best bbq I've ever done that's for sure, and that in the context of largely stuffing it up! Served Project Smoke taco style for tonight given that I had the ingredients at home already. Perhaps brioche burgers tomorrow with burnt ends and a nice bbq sauce.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. It's a great forum.

9432aed6-b445-49d3-8dc1-7e2125622b31.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

01412649-7015-429b-b7ea-a3713acd3faf.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, remi said:

Well- had my first attempt at proper bbq today; and it was not exactly straightforward! Decided a brisket would be the way to go to properly christen my new 32" BB. Picked one up yesterday- on the small side at 2.7kg (6lb), and more point than flat. The wife convinced me not to go straight to an overnight session the first time before I knew what I was doing (wise woman), and given the smaller cut I planned on a hot/fast brisket instead at around 150c (300F). Very cold here this morning, and my first attempt at lighting a small piece of charcoal resulted in me coming to find the fire out completely 20min later- and I had only 40min until I needed to leave for work for a few hours... Got a bit more aggressive with the weed burner, still only lighting a small tennis ball size piece. Got the racks in, foil pouch with mesquite pellets, had covered the brisket with Meat Church Holy Cow. Set my top to where I had thought 300F roughly was based on my burn it- and left the wife in charge for a couple of hours. She checked on it diligently and sent photos of the dome temps, but within 30min it was clear that it needed to be throttled back majorly- as a result it was quite a hot/fast brisket; although it was at 300F to start with, much of the rest of time was spent at 350-400F. The smoke in the first hour was EPIC; lucky no neighbours called the fire department.

I had only opened up 1/4 turn after just touching the gasket; but as mentioned previously I still have a full 1/4 turn of feeling gasket before I get to properly closed- so in reality I was probably 1/2 open or perhaps even a touch more. Live and learn.

Total cooking time was 6.5hrs, wrapped at 170F/ 75C at around the 3.5hr mark. Rested 3hrs in cooler before slicing. Given the pace I had resigned myself to a tough overdone brisket.

Couldn't have been more wrong- it was sooooo good. Tender, melt in the mouth, super smoky. Best bbq I've ever done that's for sure, and that in the context of largely stuffing it up! Served Project Smoke taco style for tonight given that I had the ingredients at home already. Perhaps brioche burgers tomorrow with burnt ends and a nice bbq sauce.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. It's a great forum.

9432aed6-b445-49d3-8dc1-7e2125622b31.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

01412649-7015-429b-b7ea-a3713acd3faf.jpg

Looks great Remi. Points for commitment to the first cook and points for the remote monitoring.

I'm getting shades of this with the smokey shot:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Did a “quick” smoke last night - couple dozen party wings from Costco. Smoked at 225-250 for 1.5 hours then cranked up a bit and grilled them over the coals/fire for another 10 mins. Then tossed in simple Buffalo sauce (half butter half hot sauce).

Currently have a pork shoulder smoking (apple and hickory wood chunks) so maybe some more pics to share tomorrow haha. Happy Father’s Day to all!

C42CEBBF-E498-4B35-8D60-593BD12DE52D.jpeg

Edited by Snake Plissken
  • Like 6

Today I reverse seared a nice cowboy ribeye. The temp control is so easy of the KK. Nice and steady at 250 until I got my internal temp of 114, it carried over to 117 while I was getting the KK up to 500 for searing. Thrilled with the results 😁

156D94A9-E0EF-43BA-AC17-BC10A9803C1D.jpeg

36C46AAA-7234-4B17-B831-42D0EFC1DBEF.jpeg

A2DA1C5C-FA35-4EC5-9FF0-A3B85078AFF6.jpeg

• Like 7

First pig for us. 41lbs ( no idea what that is in kilos) for a group of 20 people. Wasn’t sure if it was going to fit on my 32BB but Patsy Swine (that’s what we named her)fit very comfortably. She first got a nice bath. She was playing coy and not showing her girlie bits, then on to the smoker for a nice warm smoky sauna. Some of those gathered couldn’t look Patsy in the eye so we had to cover her eyes with her own skin. Please don’t think Silence of The Lambs of me though.
Overall she was a success although she might have needed to go about 10 or 15 degrees more but it was getting late and the hordes were getting hungry. 5f92a5cb3807461e792096d985b9fb05.jpg
6e0975936c7f5f674a6c266847be88f6.jpg
e082781b0294e1da7990763afa501b64.jpg
b3602a43c2e2d489011f16f3c2721aad.jpg
87d3bfe1a822d9122f9d04964e9a434d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done Boom boom.
No fuss, no muss.
Rather than silence of the lambs, I was thinking that first photo reminded me more of the rabbit boiler in fatal attraction!
And Bill, straight into caveman cooking. Well done.

• Like 3