DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Super simple and easy big a classic…Roast Chicken 

harvested a ton of Meyer Lemons off my tree so made a marinade of meter lemon, butter, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper & rosemary. Rubbed it all over the bird and inside the cavity as well as under the skin on the chicken breast. Stuffed the cavity with lemon rinds and rosemary. Threw it on the 3rd rack up top on the KK. Cut up a pan of celery, carrots and sweet onions and put that on the top grate under the chicken then used the double drip pan on the lower grate to get indirect heat above. Couple apple chunks in the coals and used  @tony bjealous devil coals. Cooked at 325 for 1 hour 15 minutes rested for 30 minutes 

also made some baby potatoes and roasted them in the oven at 400 with olive oil, truffle salt, black pepper & rosemary. Pulled them out and sprinkled some Parmesan cheese on top 

took some chicken drippings and made a gravy with white wine, chicken stock, butter, rosemary & salt 

will eat this the next few days 

D9E3171D-FF13-4F7C-8F26-276902CE7695.jpeg

89D2E311-08EF-4441-816C-862522AF6713.jpeg

75E4666B-F97F-4954-B081-A4A3CE510584.jpeg

C3842633-A942-4D41-94DD-7BA77F09BA8E.jpeg

78A0490B-3744-45FD-A11A-55F933789EB5.jpeg

656AAD63-B27E-4EBA-B245-F068768DDBF8.jpeg

1BBF535E-8AD2-49BF-A9FB-91AE09D18DCA.jpeg

38C9B5F8-1A59-469E-9189-7B667FA863F3.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 12

Meanwhile back at the ranch I had a quick supper. It was a grilled cheese sandwich but the cheese was smoked last fall and it pushed this sandwich over the top. 

492609269_GrilledSmokedCheese.thumb.jpg.2da0f8896abf85e9b99d5ac6a36b3d60.jpg

1101148247_GrilledCheese.thumb.jpg.f2d8bdc75a8f48362f8ae2083b69d261.jpg

The bread was homemade using white and freshly ground whole wheat and rye flours. ;)

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, tony b said:

Happens all the time with mine when I use the Guru. You correctly deduced what's going on. The fan is pushing more air in than can escape the top vent, so it needs to find a place to go. Not going to affect your cook or temperature control at all. The natural instinct is to open the top vent more to relieve the pressure, but you risk losing control of the temperature by allowing too much airflow when the fan isn't running, unless you really shut the exhaust damper on the fan almost closed. 

If you never plan to use the gas insert (I'm surprised that your KK came with one, as Dennis has pretty much stopped putting them on the newer grills, unless the owner requests one?), Dennis makes a replacement vent door that has threaded rods with wing nuts to secure the gas door closed. I got one for my 23" KK a while ago. I put LocTite on the threads to make sure that it doesn't loosen up. Has worked like a charm. 

@tony bmy KK did not come with a gas insert - I have the vent door with threaded rods / wing nuts.  I have some locTite and may try that trick.  What I did based on my previous kamado experience was just to see if the billows would keep the temps good with my vent setting.  There was no problem.  Upon seeing that it could keep the temps within a 2.5 degree range, I quit worrying and decided I didn't care what it looked like.  I didn't want to open that top vent too much. I will continue with that.  I certainly had stellar results this time!  Thanks for confirming what I suspected!  Take care - I hope you and yours have a great holiday season, etc!

@johnnymnemonic, like @jeffshoaf I have only ever seen smoke coming out of the bottom of my KK when I forgot to push the front plate back in after a clean.  That said, I never use a controller with my KKs.  It might be worth experimenting without a controller to confirm that this is the reason for the problem.  I would not be keen on applying loctite to any part of my KK unless it was really necessary. 

Good looking cooks all round.  I want some of those Meyer lemons for my Christmas recipe @Troble and I could just devour those chicken thighs for my lunch @tony b.  Like @MacKenzie, I find looking at this forum at a wrong time of day a trial!

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

@johnnymnemonic, like @jeffshoaf I have only ever seen smoke coming out of the bottom of my KK when I forgot to push the front plate back in after a clean.  That said, I never use a controller with my KKs.  It might be worth experimenting without a controller to confirm that this is the reason for the problem.  I would not be keen on applying loctite to any part of my KK unless it was really necessary. 

If you're not using a controller, the time you might see it just a little bit is when you're closing the lid during a particularly smoky cook.  The positive pressure created when the lid first hits the gasket can send a little smoke out the plates all around.  Happens on my 42.  I'm with you @tekobo - I'm probably not putting any permatex anywhere until I need some gasket repair, and if I ever do want to use those bottom openings for anything (who knows there may be some gadget we all start using one day on the burner ports) - i want to be able to easily remove the doors in the future.  So no loctite on the bolts.  I could always try something non-adhesive that is heat proof or something that will go on the outside and can be easily removed like flue tape if I really care.... but I don't.   The cook went fine and the fire goes out when I close it down, so there's no concern at all.  I was just making sure at least one other person had seen this and @tony bsays that it happens all the time with his guru and "no issue: for him, so - it's "all good" for me too.

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johnnymnemonic said:

I was just making sure at least one other person had seen this and @tony bsays that it happens all the time with his guru and "no issue: for him, so - it's "all good" for me too.

My 23KK does this as well when using the Billows. I agree with @tekobo about the Loc-tite. I use all three Loc-tite strengths on various objects and projects but I would not be eager to apply it to my KK. As @tony b said, no issue, all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bone in leg of lamb on the rotisserie with some mesquite wood & cous cous.

lamb was marinated for two days in garlic, balsamic, mint, rosemary, cumin, salt and a bunch of fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice 

cous cous was with olive oil, garlic and more fresh squeezed lemon juice 

homemade chunky Tadziki with a bunch more lemon juice/zest 

basted the leg every 15 minutes with leftover marinade

AB08E47F-C58E-46CE-8FC6-0AAFA4928704.jpeg

D82B6453-F7E2-4AC8-A1BC-1472FF53567A.jpeg

7F728ED6-13BE-420E-805E-A7C196602197.jpeg

2986818F-89E2-4E72-B9C2-9A8A7C595A79.jpeg

83B54C83-DFD5-49BD-A07B-D5B48CD95D49.jpeg

9F4A2214-6530-4EBF-9193-3EB52193A12B.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Bone in leg of lamb on the rotisserie with some mesquite wood & cous cous.
lamb was marinated for two days in garlic, balsamic, mint, rosemary, cumin, salt and a bunch of fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice 
cous cous was with olive oil, garlic and more fresh squeezed lemon juice 
homemade chunky Tadziki with a bunch more lemon juice/zest 
basted the leg every 15 minutes with leftover marinade
AB08E47F-C58E-46CE-8FC6-0AAFA4928704.thumb.jpeg.bbdcbc93e7307fa4eea5b87c42e250f0.jpeg
D82B6453-F7E2-4AC8-A1BC-1472FF53567A.thumb.jpeg.e79099b11de0657d479a3c4b3b68f069.jpeg
7F728ED6-13BE-420E-805E-A7C196602197.thumb.jpeg.a41ee1396f1b865016e63538b65f941b.jpeg
2986818F-89E2-4E72-B9C2-9A8A7C595A79.thumb.jpeg.2ed97df169cfce6e1657192f8d116fd3.jpeg
83B54C83-DFD5-49BD-A07B-D5B48CD95D49.thumb.jpeg.394bf6dca4ae3b459f4c888476db618b.jpeg
9F4A2214-6530-4EBF-9193-3EB52193A12B.thumb.jpeg.20172be07e746af6eff7fbafa4a30528.jpeg

Troble that is one of my favourite meals, and you have paired other dishes with this beautifully.
I hope you enjoyed…….. I am very envious.
My freezer is building with lamb and venison for my return to the KK hopefully in Jan/ Feb.
How good is the balsamic with lamb?( I learned this pairing here from Syzygies)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

@Basher that is my go to marinade when im

not doing shawarma. It’s really great. I give you all the credit on that one. Didn’t know you got it from @Syzygies but not surprising, he’s good a few good tricks up his sleeve. 

I was at the store looking for whole chickens for my cook the other day and they were out of chickens. So the guy goes to look in the back and he’s taking forever so I sat there at the meat counter and what was in front of me bud a grass fed, organic, bone in leg of lamb on specialty for $6.99/lb. The guy returned to tell me they had no chickens but I couldn’t pass up the deal for a nice piece of meat like that so I picked up a 5lb leg and went to my other shop to buy the chickens 

I love cooking lamb too because my kids love it so it’s a double win, just unfortunate we don’t have as much supply or variation of cuts in the US (at least I haven’t found them locally) like you do in OZ

@C6Bill I’m not gonna pass up your compliment, thank you. Hard to mess up a rotisserie cook although with the leg I find that cooking temps on the meat are a little more uneven some parts more done than others, last nights were a little more cooked than I liked but the wife was happy

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2

All you Brits out there have pretty good access to lamb.
Try lamb marinated for a night or two in balsamic vinegar. The acid in the vinegar renders the fat into a lighter caramelised very tasty cook.
Add the garlic, rosemary, mint if you like these aromatics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried the 500 degree oven method for prime rib in their KK? You’re supposed to bring your oven to 500 degrees then cook the prime rib at 500 for 5 minutes per pound then turn your oven off and DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR for 2 hours. It’s supposed to come out perfect at 125 internal.
I’m thinking about doing this on my BB 32 but wondering if I will over cook it using this method. I will be using a MEATER probe but I don’t want it to be done too early.
Looking for advice. Thanks.