DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Pork butts with mustard binder and DAS BBQ rub from a home town joint. Pork loin roasts with DAS BBQ high octane sauce with espresso infusion as binder with Jansal Valley coffee chili rub.

Both came out good.
I slightly overlooked the loins. Flavor was awesome.

This batch of pork BBQ from the shoulder butts had great bark but I think I prefer wrapping and going a little lower temp to pull than 203F. A little too much fat rendered out of this batch and wasn’t quite as moist as I usually want.

Flavor and bark were incredible though. Chewy. Bacon-y. Smelled like Heaven.

c6c27c340d4df29c063b3024a0bdebe6.jpg
77db729bb20eecf10c67aaa4731ca302.jpg
e4683f91cb431534de84ec74af473d8f.jpg
0eb7d9c2141f40f3e5cf049031d38bc6.jpg
039e2a5a2bf61320c12509bb1ecea50f.jpg
4149e665f326a18fb4cd5ab423fa6505.jpg
2a86e2e61508082b68c4d918e9c770aa.jpg
c0f82163ddbe6b29afef062b1ef0c806.jpg
f0c979700803871896cff867b3096b53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Greeting from sunny Tucson Arizona,

I hope I am not being rude by breaking into this conversation.  I created this same post under beef recipes.  I thought I would get more responses by using this thread.

I have recently picked up a BB32 to replace a simple propane cabinet smoker.  This is my first post after much reading and a few cooks.  I am excited to be part of the community!

I have stoked up the billows on the KK a few times and I am still working on temp control.  I am cooking up a brisket this weekend for a birthday party.  I would love to hear the voices of experience.  I am going to fill up the basket with lump after I strategically place a few pieces of smoking wood.  I will probably use 5 or 6 pieces of mesquite.  I think I will use 2 lighting cubes to get the party started.  I have two questions:

1. Has anyone ever experimented with where you start the fire? I have been lighting the lump in the middle of the basket.  The burns have been inconsistent.  I thought about lighting the right (or left) side to allow the burn to migrate and possible increase the stability.  Or, I could be overthinking it...

2. I want to smoke the brisket at 225 +/-.  Does anybody have setting suggestions? I under stand that I only need to open the top about 1 inch.  Where are you setting the upper and lower dampers to get 225 using the BB32?

I am excited to hear back from you.  I will post the cook when I finish.

32 minutes ago, Dabble said:

Greeting from sunny Tucson Arizona,

I hope I am not being rude by breaking into this conversation.  I created this same post under beef recipes.  I thought I would get more responses by using this thread.

I have recently picked up a BB32 to replace a simple propane cabinet smoker.  This is my first post after much reading and a few cooks.  I am excited to be part of the community!

I have stoked up the billows on the KK a few times and I am still working on temp control.  I am cooking up a brisket this weekend for a birthday party.  I would love to hear the voices of experience.  I am going to fill up the basket with lump after I strategically place a few pieces of smoking wood.  I will probably use 5 or 6 pieces of mesquite.  I think I will use 2 lighting cubes to get the party started.  I have two questions:

1. Has anyone ever experimented with where you start the fire? I have been lighting the lump in the middle of the basket.  The burns have been inconsistent.  I thought about lighting the right (or left) side to allow the burn to migrate and possible increase the stability.  Or, I could be overthinking it...

2. I want to smoke the brisket at 225 +/-.  Does anybody have setting suggestions? I under stand that I only need to open the top about 1 inch.  Where are you setting the upper and lower dampers to get 225 using the BB32?

I am excited to hear back from you.  I will post the cook when I finish.

I usually cook my briskets at 275.  I did a couple of chuck roasts a few days ago at 275 with my billows.  I had my KK top vent open between 1/4 and 1/2 turn.  I had all bottom vents closed other than the billows being in the guru port.  I had the little yellow billows damper open about halfway.  I had the basket splitter set up so that charcoal was only on the right side and the food on the left.  I have a 42 not a 32. But this cook was very consistent for me.  

I light my fire with a looftlighter. I light about a baseball sized amount of charcoal.  At the point that I light the fire, I already have the smokeX2 and the billows running.  after lighting the baseball sized amount of charcoal, I close the lid and let the grill warm up to temp prior to putting the food on.  in this case I didn't wait all the way until the grate thermometer was reading 275 - it was close though and the thick white smoke had subsided letting me know we were getting nice blue smoke.  (about 30 mins or so).

The Billows kept it pegged within 5 degrees of 275 for the 3 or 4 hours these took to cook.  

One of my first cooks with my KK was brisket and if I were doing a brisket I might set up the grill the same as I did then.  I might put foil across most of the lower grate and use the full firebox just to be sure that I had enough fuel so that no reloading was necessary.

I think putting a few pieces of wood on the bottom of your firebox and then putting coal on top is a good approach. I have done this with the cook in the pictures in this post and with the pork cook above and I got plenty of smoke flavor and it was not acrid tasting in the food.

About the fire meandering around in the firebox - don't overthink it.

In a previous cook I noted that since the oxygen from the billows is going to be coming mostly on the right side of the grill, you still probably want to shade your brisket over to the left hand side of the KK when you're using the billows b/c the fire is going to tend to be closer to where the air is coming in.  I'd light a baseball sized amount of charcoal on the right center of your firebox and go ahead and have your billows going.  Put the food over to the left center of the KK 32 once the temp reaches close to your target.  Just use foil on the lower grate and a drip pan underneath your food as your deflectors.  Happy cooking.

CHUCK.png

CHUCK2.png

CHUCK3.png

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 4

Johnny,

Thanks for all of the that great information.

I should clarify, I didn't know there was a tool called a billow.  It makes sense thinking about the guru.  I only meant to say I have burnt a few bags of lump charcoal in the KK and used "billows" because it sounded good...  I guess I can take turns with my kids and blow into the guru port.... Hmmm!

With that in mind sounds like I should only be using one of the smaller holes or the lower right damper and open the top damper about 1/4 turn.

You'll get a lot of different ideas on this subject. Many members use a pit controller to keep a steady temperature and some play it by ear and adjust the top and bottom vent. You'll get just as many replies in the beef category so don't worry about your post not being seen. We read them all.  But this will be a great place to put pictures of your brisket and tell us how you mastered controlling the temperature!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:45 PM, johnnymnemonic said:

I think putting a few pieces of wood on the bottom of your firebox and then putting coal on top is a good approach. I have done this with the cook in the pictures in this post and with the pork cook above and I got plenty of smoke flavor and it was not acrid tasting in the food.

Thanks for the tips @johnnymnemonic!  You place your pieces of smoking wood under the charcoal basket directly on the floor of the firebox and then place a little charcoal around the wood pieces?   Am I understanding that correctly?  

@Dabble 225 is a 1/4 turn up top and having the big vent of the bottom be set to about 10 o’clock if you’re looking at it as if it were a clock. I usually have the big vent hole on the right all the way open then when I hit them I adjust to smaller size. That may or may not be right but this method works for me 

don’t use lighter cubes with nasty chemicals on it. You can use these Rutland fire squares Rutland Products Safe Lite Fire... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R6772O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

or between yet get a MAAP torch I light my basket in the middle of the basket and put 6 mesquite wood chunks in the basket not too far from where I light it. Double drip pan (or foil tray) goes on lower grate and brisket goes on main grate. Spray liberally every 30 minutes with apple juice after the first 5-6 hours of the KK being completely shut and you’ll get great  bark. 

Edited by Troble

Roasted chicken. Butter, kosher salt, black pepper, olive oil, fresh marjoram and fresh thyme marinade. Alice of Irish butter under the skin over the breasts. Fresh squeezed lemon juice and lemon rinds on cavity right before placing on grill 

roasted crispy Yukon good potatoes. Booked in kosher salt and baking soda for 10 minutes then tossed in duck fat, fresh thyme, garlic powder and truffle salt. Roasted in over at 450 for 75 minutes stirring every 20 minutes 

sweet onion, carrots and celery underneath the chicken 

EC387626-8FD5-4497-BB09-C8153FD423EA.jpeg

2CBE33ED-95F8-45A0-8C54-697AAD47F9AA.jpeg

4C896998-4326-46D0-A273-E44A086C7A92.jpeg

2F29599C-85A1-465C-BDCC-CBE092CEDCD6.jpeg

2254F85E-75BD-4548-9CEB-545F02DD320F.jpeg

• Like 8