DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

9 hours ago, Tyrus said:

An interesting addition also if you are unaware was Black Garlic to the left of the plate. Now it doesn't have a strong flavor yet a more sweeter/tangier bouquet to it. Whatever was lost in the translation of aging came out differently  with a pleasing taste. I feel it's better served with a Caviar, shrimp, on a good buttered bread, a charcuterie board aside sliced meats etc, or on it's own. They peel easy and clean, they are expensive I thought, 3 good size whole clove garlics for $15.00. I found them at a farmers market in the Berkshires of Massachusetts and I obliged. Something different, unique and applicable to the imagination. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had these and what their thoughts were. Just a thought .

Hi Tyrus. I agree, black garlic is delicious.  I use a recipe from Le Pigeon to make a thick mayonnaise like dressing that I put on everything once I have made it up.  Whizz a head of black garlic with a quarter cup of balsamic vinegar, 1 minced shallot, 1 teaspoon kosher salt adding 2/3 cup of olive oil in steady stream while you whizz.  Delish.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tekobo said:

Hi Tyrus. I agree, black garlic is delicious.  I use a recipe from Le Pigeon to make a thick mayonnaise like dressing that I put on everything once I have made it up.  Whizz a head of black garlic with a quarter cup of balsamic vinegar, 1 minced shallot, 1 teaspoon kosher salt adding 2/3 cup of olive oil in steady stream while you whizz.  Delish.  

LOVE black garlic. I like it on a baked potato or mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter. 

@tekobo - Just curious, your dressing recipe - is there an egg yolk in it, too? To make it a mayo, it needs the egg, otherwise it's just a vinaigrette.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - Just curious, your dressing recipe - is there an egg yolk in it, too? To make it a mayo, it needs the egg, otherwise it's just a vinaigrette.

No egg yolk.  The similarity to mayo is the fact that it is thickened by the slow addition of oil to the other ingredients.  It makes a nice thick, mayonnaise like sauce.  All this talk makes me want to go and make some!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Finally!  Crispy crackling in my KK.

Ok, since you have a few of them, which one are you most gravitated too? There is a lesser and there is a more, I'd like to know, no hiding the truth now.  It's like squeezin a lemon, you never get all the juice...so give us half a lemon. By the the way, nice pic, where's the crunch? I know , just around the bend.

9 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Ok, since you have a few of them, which one are you most gravitated too? There is a lesser and there is a more, I'd like to know, no hiding the truth now.  It's like squeezin a lemon, you never get all the juice...so give us half a lemon.

Horses for courses @Tyrus.  If I was to only have one KK it would be the 32.  My current plan is to keep the 23 in the split basket configuration to support 2 zone cooking, cooking for 2 and rotisserie cooking.  Will probably change my mind soon but that is half the fun.  The 16 is currently on loan to a friend.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

Looks like a good hack that does not require a full blown basket splitter, @Poochie.  What was the cook like? Fewer flare ups?  Crispy skin?

zero flare ups. And even though the pans were very shallow, the grease from the chickens evaporated from the close proximity of the heat, so they didn't come close to overflowing.  I didn't get crunchy skin but I think I know how next time. 

• Like 2