DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Today was a good day for a BBQ Chicken sandwich. I cooked the boneless skinless thighs at 375, rub was Yardbird and q0 minutes before they were done I glazed with Texas Pepper Jelly’s Bird Bath. Once rested I chopped up the chicken and mixed it up with Boss Hog’s Original BBQ Sauce and added pickles made by my lady friend. It’s a nice change of pace on a hot summer day. The pickles really make the sandwich special

80BDFEA8-5FD2-4351-8389-9D09B886D411.jpeg

C52E8A24-66D9-4359-8FF0-F928C3DEBD8B.jpeg

564F534B-3650-41C9-9DE2-ECFE4523C31D.jpeg

• Like 7

In the beginning there was lamb, and oh what a lovely lamb it was. Marinated in Balsamic just overnight with fresh rosemary and sage. Staked on the skewer and spun for 2 1/2 hours over an open fire and basted with a special sauce of Allegro, Japanese BBq sauce and apple cider vinegar. The sides as plated were Swiss Chard in a marinera and cheese, fresh garden cukes and cherry tomatoes, chopped kale in a vinaigrette with sweet dried cranberry, sliced almonds and walnuts, and of course a baked potato with butter, sour cream and chive accompanied  by a good Polish beer. Also pictured is a herb garden established this year, crowded with herbs, too many. Next year I'll space them differently or build a bigger box.

DSCF3823.JPG

DSCF3825.JPG

DSCF3827.JPG

DSCF3829.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 11

On 8/1/2022 at 8:36 AM, Poochie said:

Hey Tyrus, which contraption

That would be the Hooray Grill Co out of Kansas.  Mine is the 3 ft model fire box model, check them out, be warned they are pricey and although I like them a lot my thoughts turn to the many stainless grills out there because it has to be covered. However, if your looking for a contraption, your local Wal Mart may suit your needs.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Haha 1

I'll check it out. 

OK, it's a Santa Maria grill. They are pricey there but there must be a reason. I've looked at several and Lone Star makes a nice one. This or an Argentina grill is what I'd like for live fire cooking.

Edited by Poochie

3 hours ago, Poochie said:

I'll check it out. 

OK, it's a Santa Maria grill. They are pricey there but there must be a reason. I've looked at several and Lone Star makes a nice one. This or an Argentina grill is what I'd like for live fire cooking.

Be sure to look at Arizona BBQ Grill Works as well (https://www.azbbqgrills.com/) - I looked at Hooray and everyone else I could find before buying mine last year and ended up with AZ's brick-lined Argentinean grill. Hooray has some really nice features but the price was substantially higher than AZ's; I had good timing for once and ordered mine just shortly before they had to raise prices due to increasing material costs.

I documented the journey here: 

3 hours ago, Poochie said:

I'll check it out.

Glad you did Poochie. There other options available where you can order just the top fire box and crank without the wheeled stand below. You'd attach it to some sort of masonry of your liking, the obvious drawback is...it doesn't move. Rust with anything metal is always a concern too, keep that in mind and although the gauge/thickness of some quality grills are worth mentioning they all succumb to this demise in time. If you live in the desert it will be around that much longer vs the rainy spots where you have to cover. Ah, my grill will probably out last me but if your looking to dodge the rust and make it a departing gift in your will,.. well the SSteel is a good option. Don't rush in, it's what I would recommend, your happiness is paramount, satisfaction, you don't want buyers remorse. I don't want to brag, float my own boat so to say, but on my grill (the Hooray) has the best rotisserie out there bar none, and the cranking system is onehanded and IMHO superior to all others. It can be adjusted slowly, quickly, quietly, smoothly, incrementally with precision with a finger and hold position regardless of weight. You do pay for these conveniences though, good luck, they certainly are a lot of fun. I'd be happy cooking on any of them, like buying sneakers that fit, get the one that's comfortable for you or the one you gravitate too.

Edited by Tyrus

26 minutes ago, jeffshoaf said:

documented the journey here:

Hey Jeff, you do realize that's a pic of my grill in winter covered up. Not a very complimentary one at that, I get the point though, made me laugh. Boy, I'm sure glad it's summer, that picture gives me the chills. Spooky

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Hey Jeff, you do realize that's a pic of my grill in winter covered up. Not a very complimentary one at that, I get the point though, made me laugh. Boy, I'm sure glad it's summer, that picture gives me the chills. Spooky

I just linked to the thread and that's the pic that's displayed! I did verify that it goes to the 1st post on the thread and not the one with your pic.

Thank you for the info, Tyrus. In the BBQ smoker world, you definitely get what you pay for.  For the coincidence of the day, the cost of the Santa Maria you have is within $30 of the estimate I got today for a replacement wooden fence. Fence/BBQ Fence/BBQ. Who will win? 

• Haha 1

Pork tenderloin marinated in lawrys salt and brown sugar. Cooked indirect then reverse seared in the cast iron with some Irish butter 

crispy baby potatoes blanched, then tossed in duck fat, truffle salt with fresh lemon thyme and rosemary from the garden. Finished in air fryer 

asparagus with garlic powder, salt and cooked in the cast iron pork juices/butter while pork was resting 

E40BF523-8DB5-43F2-A8FF-A7D25A27D286.jpeg

B8EE746D-1182-482A-A443-0580B3A1426E.jpeg

CD3B664C-053F-4D0F-A07A-B3BCE3865F7D.jpeg

45429B6C-EE66-4D54-9B99-23B941ABFA27.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Troble said:

Pork tenderloin marinated in lawrys salt and brown sugar. Cooked indirect then reverse seared in the cast iron with some Irish butter 

crispy baby potatoes blanched, then tossed in duck fat, truffle salt with fresh lemon thyme and rose Barry from the garden. Finished in air fryer 

asparagus with garlic powder, salt and cooked in the cast iron pork juices/butter while pork was resting 

E40BF523-8DB5-43F2-A8FF-A7D25A27D286.jpeg

B8EE746D-1182-482A-A443-0580B3A1426E.jpeg

CD3B664C-053F-4D0F-A07A-B3BCE3865F7D.jpeg

45429B6C-EE66-4D54-9B99-23B941ABFA27.jpeg

Lovely- and I particularly love the Rose Barry; sounds like a herb that would do well in Australia!😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3