DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Last weekend, some friends came to town for a birthday party and some music. The birthday girl wanted some baby back ribs from one of the local high-end BBQ places. This weekend, I made these. Much better, even if I say so myself.

IMG_4687.thumb.jpg.bea67882eaad9abec702a9b404208e3f.jpg

• Like 14

@Troble, I used olive oil spray followed by Gate's Hot-N-Spicy dry rub (Kansas City BBQ joint). I didn't have time for my normal routine as I bought the ribs at 1:00 and they were on the smoke (hickory) at 2:10. 

IMG_4689.thumb.jpg.8c725fa74d81c3b3bf36ee17c91762c6.jpg

Edited by jonj
picture
  • Like 8

Will post pics. It is so many I am not interrupting the cook to wrap through the stall. Worried the heat will kick up too much. The kk holds in so much moisture it should be totally fine to bring them all the way up without wrapping them —wrap for resting in a coolers (plural) while I pull it all and put it in bags. This is for an event couple weeks from now. Pull, put in bags in ice bath, vac seal. On may 7th warm them up in sous vide bath gently. Gonna be great. I have done this same qty before a year ago but did 2 cooks of 6 on main grate. Due to time constraints I figured max that kk out. After a year and a half of experience on this thing I have ultimate faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Looks like you nailed it. It's always a pretty sight when the "crust" splits. Did you have a giant drip pan under all those butts? 

Yep I used wide foil all the way across the lower grate. Essentially allowing the fire / smoke to come up front and back - wide foil leaves about a 1-2 inch gap all the way across front and back which is perfect. I had the two big drip pans that came with the kk42 as well as one smaller one wedged in one side that covered most of the lower grate. I can take a picture once my grates are clean of the arrangement - soaking them now. I would say this setup did not catch 100% of the grease but close. The KK is certainly no worse for wear. All of the bbq came out great, too. Just a crapload of work. Started the cook around 10am sat. Was finally done at 4am Sunday. I held done butts in a hot cooler. Had one with an ice water bath going to cool it down quickly as I pulled it and put each butt in vac sealed bags. I pulled 3 butts worth and bagged the 12 -15 bags, allowed the bags to cool in the cold cooler for 30 mins, then cleaned the utensils and repeated the process until done. Hot bbq stayed hot. Pulled Q cooled down fast. Now I have around 50 vac sealed bags ready to roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

On 4/22/2023 at 11:31 PM, johnnymnemonic said:

Due to time constraints I figured max that kk out.

The concept that it is possible to max out a 42 is mind boggling.  Well done Johnny. Sounds like a mountain of work.  I hope your guests appreciate it!

• Like 1

A split turkey and a link of 7.5Lbs of Voodoo sausage I made yesterday. Turkey had a generous sprinkling of Rufus Teauge Chik'n rub (all you need for poultry) and the sausage had a little kick but nothing to linger. Plated up for Sunday dinner and a spot on the couch.

DSCF4043.JPG

DSCF4045.JPG

DSCF4046.JPG

• Like 8