DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Eight hours fetch?id=67379 Well, a sample after four hours (160 F) was chewy, but a sample after eight hours (175 F) was great. I wish I could serve now! I dialed back the Guru to 200 F or so to hold till the party. This, by the way, isn't what everyone means by "fast" brisket (see High temp fast brisket). We've never been happy foiling before the transportation stage; the texture becomes too much like a braised pot roast for our tastes. If I wanted to poach one side of my brisket, I'd leave the fat cap on. If I wanted to poach both sides, I'd foil. It does depend very much on the cut of meat.

post-6617-139082403713_thumb.jpg

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Syz, have you done the hot fast brisket as described in the sticky? I have not perceived it to be too mushy, like a braised pot roast, just nice and tender and juicy. But you should use the technique you like best. Remember that the pre-foil phase can be done low and slow, medium, hot or whatever. I often do it lower and slower than a true hot fast to get a little more time in the smoke prior to foiling.

The hot fast does get a smoke ring, the bark itself is not crusty, however. The foil makes the bark basically a damp rub.

From now on I will be taking the fat cap off to get the smoke and rub on to the meat on that side, not on to the fat. Good idea. I never put any rub on the fat side anyway.

I think those were 18 days. My personal sweet spot has been about 14 days. I've gone to 21 days and found more trim waste for which I could not justify additional flavor/texture benefit.

I switched my aging fridge to something newer and more efficient (got big new fridge for house and moved existing one to garage duty), so I let these go a bit longer just to see. The trim waste was on par for the 14 day aging in the previous fridge, so I may try the full 3 weeks again next time.

Followed LarryR's very good and cocktail fuelled video on searing steaks.

Came out perfect - thanks LarryR, I had a cocktail in your honour during the cook!

Steaks temped at 55F

yhu3y9e2.jpg

Dome to 650F, 2mins 30sec per side

u4yraje8.jpg

Shut all vents and dwell for another 1 min per side.

Careful opening, my arm hair has only recently grown back!

Steaks removed at 126F and rested for 5mins under loose foil tent

8e5yza5y.jpg

Carved up and these two steaks easily fed four people. They were about 1.5 inches thick and 2.3lbs raw weight

Great meal with potatoes that I smoked during the KK coming up to temp. If you have not smoked potatoes yet, then you are really missing out!

yzuzy2u2.jpg

uhymame7.jpg

Great meal with potatoes that I smoked during the KK coming up to temp. If you have not smoked potatoes yet, then you are really missing out!

For sure! I cook lots of steaks, but sometimes I think it's the baked potatoes off the grill that I really enjoy the most!

There are definitely worse dilemmas to have than "which of these awesome items do I like most?". :P

Good looking steaks, too

Followed LarryR's very good and cocktail fuelled video on searing steaks.

Came out perfect - thanks LarryR, I had a cocktail in your honour during the cook!

LMAO! Glad you stopped at one, I should have! I had forgotten about that cook, need to update it with another less alcohol fueled cook. Still remember editing that one and thinking, really, you're going to post that . . .

Technique works every-time.

Salmon looks good and Healthy!

What about that big glass of red I see...

Relaxation and stress reduction are vital to being healthy! :mrgreen: Of course, there is always this:

http://www.dnaindia.com/health/report_r ... ol_1788899

I cook the salmon just like I would a burger.

I use the lower grill, over a hot but not raging fire, and flip it once when it looks like the top is starting to cook. It's a short cook, so dome temp is not a good indicator as the grill may not be preheated yet. It's a wide open dial, and about 1 to 1.5 turns open on the top, and I put the fish over the hot portion of the fire. You might even need to slide the door open a half inch or so to get the fire hot.

Once I was cooking something on the main grill and also had a piece of salmon that needed cooking that day. I put the sear grill on top of the main and put the salmon up there, high in the dome. It was the best cooked salmon we ever had, texture wise. Maybe we will try cooking salmon at every possible level to see how it comes out.

Well cooked a 7Kg that's about 16lb pork shoulder on the bone for last nights dinner for 12.

evybetu5.jpg

Trimmed almost all of the fat and rubbed in Chris Lilly's rub

qyha5age.jpg

Heat soaked the KK and put the meat in at 11.00pm. All was fine until the low BBQ alarm went off at 3.30, it's like having a baby monitor! Fire had basically gone out due to me closing up too much before bed. Hit it with the Looftlighter and went back to bed. Temp stayed stable at 232F right through the night.

6uzebyne.jpg

Hit 195F by 2:00pm, wife wrapped in foil and into a cooler for me while I was at work. Is it permissible for the wife to be involved ;-)

Pulled beautifully and dressed it with a simple sauce called "Memphis Barbecue Sauce" which tool 40mins to make as I had forgotten to make it earlier!

3ypusema.jpg

From 7Kg of uncooked weight we ended up with 3.25Kg of meat to eat, after fat trimming and cooking losses.

very nice and successful cook apart from the disturbed nights sleep.

Next time I think i will stick to the boned shoulder its a bit easier to handle and pull.