DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Grabbed a pork neck from the South Melbourne market and brined overnight for the first time

Tied with string and rubbed lightly with paprika and pepper, thinking there was enough salt, fennel and garlic in the brine.

de4ahu9y.jpg

On to the Kamado at 9.00 at a steady 260F and off at 6.00. Had a long stall at 3.00 so wrapped it for a couple of hours

amamy3a4.jpg

Internal got to 185F and it was just sliceable

6e8usyny.jpg

And next day had dinner again, even better cold and sliced thin!

buqedumy.jpg

Served with Mexican rice, roasted cherry tomatoes and an awesome Hungarian peppers&tomato dish

uquhu3y4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have never heard of a pork "neck" as a cut of meat. From the looks of the muscles, I would guess that is a part of a leg. It looks decidedly like a boneless leg of lamb, which are usually tied with string. Do you know what it is? Neck must be a euphemism because those are certainly not para-vertebral muscles. Whatever it is, it sure looks delicious!

I bought a pork roast once in a supermarket in Spain that looked quite a bit like that roast. When slicing it there was a definite pattern of lighter meat and darker meat in each slice. I didn't understand the label except for the "cerdo" part and just did a simple roast but it sure was delicious. I would love to know what it would be called here to order it from a butcher. Everything on that plate looks wonderful!!

I had a few vertebrae included the way the butcher cut the shoulders I got from my 4H pig. Nothing like the Boston Butt you get at the grocery store. So the "neck roast" must be a type of shoulder cut, or thereabouts.

Last time I asked my German butcher for a shoulder he asked if I had ever tried neck.. I bought a few, low and slow-ed them to 190º then pulled them..

They actually had marbling and were nicer texture and more moist than most butts /shoulders I've cooked.. they were not as thick as a butt but plenty thick..

;);)

For your first cook on your KK, nice job. I bet everyone was impressed.

How were the Ribs ? Just right ? Fall off the bone ?

Enjoy the journey.

Pretty impressive spread! Nice photo.

Thanks, I've never BBQed before. I can't get over how intuitive it is. Can only get better too! The ribs are great! They came out a little bit dark but it wasn't really a problem.

Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/CPjyg

fetch?id=74799fetch?id=74801fetch?id=74802

Made some pastrami again... ** I love pastrami, and call it blasphemy If you must, but I really like the leaner stuff rather than the traditional brisket or belly. *Like the big roasts of pastrami in the deli case. * So, to cured this 5-6 pound center round roast for about a week, seasoned for a couple days, smoked it yesterday, chilled it and sliced it tonight for the best Reuben sandwiches ever. *

post-7653-139082418667_thumb.jpg

post-7653-139082418671_thumb.jpg

post-7653-139082418676_thumb.jpg

Firemonkey - you gotta be lovin' that slicer - beautiful job!!!

Indeed I am. I have sliced probably 20 pounds of meat through it already. 6-7 pounds of raw ribeye for cheesesteaks, another 6-7 pounds of pit beef (Baltimore style roast beef), and this pastrami.

It does take a bit of real estate to store, and it's heavy to move (not so bad since I store it with the meat carriage off), but there are just some things you can't do without it - and I seem to like them all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD