DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Do I see a "Please remove before use" plastic cover on the LCD lens?

I agree with Dave, really like the Thermapen in the picture makes my mouth water all that much more knowing the temp.

Yep, in about 2-3 years, when that thing comes off, it will be brand new for 3 more years! :P

chilled the zucchini

One of my best friend's wife used to be a culinary instructor in San Francisco. She was here in Bali a few months ago helping me in the kitchen, basically making me realize how clumsy I am with a knife in hand ;)

Watching her slice and chop while casually talking was amazing.. Like every other art form.. gotta start with flawless technique!

But where this story is going, she filled a bowl with ice and water and chilled the zucchini before spraying it with the olive oil.. it closes it's pores and keeps the oil from soaking in.. I never heard that trick.. it of course works. ;);)

Thanks for the tip. Would this work with other vegetables like eggplant? We will certainly try it first chance we get.

I thought the object was to try and dry eggplant as much as possible before cooking it? That'd why we salt and drain it after we cut it, to drain the liquid. After that, it's like a sponge, and you don't want to soak it oil it until it's hits the heat.

n66750

St Patrick's Corned Beef

Café Rouge in Berkeley, CA has a great butcher in back. I was in to restock pancetta, and noticed that as a St. Patrick's Day special they were selling brined brisket flats and points separately, the points at a discount. Go figure. Grabbed a 2.5 lb point, fried a slice to test for salt, and soaked in plain water for 36 hours to somewhat desalinate. Que'd 9 hours at 240 to 260 F over hickory smoke, trimmed off what fat didn't render. An "of the gods" version of the New England Boiled Dinner I grew up with. (My grandmother didn't work with smoke and fire.) Definitely needs boiled potatoes, cabbage and parsnips, good mustard, to complete the experience.

post-6617-139082392992_thumb.jpg

WOW!!! That looks amazing. I have an extra brined point that might get the same treatment this weekend.

Great thought on the salt test. I'm wondering how much that 36 hour soak knocked down the salt level. If for example, it started as an 8 on a 1-10 scale, what do you think it ended up at after the soak?

What temp did you pull it off?

It went from an 8 or 9 on the salt scale (and we think salt is the new sugar) down to a 6 or 7. Better to not salt so much in the first place,.

It came off at 195 F to 200 F. Not sure if this puts me in the "quick brisket" camp, but it sure was delicious. Looking forward to hash tomorrow.

This was our Mothers Day cookout, forgive the link to Facebook, but it was the easiest way for me to do this, I even cooked some (gasp!) vegetables after the rotisserie turkey! Ran out of room for the lamb on "Godzilla" so had to fix it on the gasser! Everything that was cooked to perfection( of course, ahem) had to be held for two hours because all those who did the 3 mile Walk for the Cure were beat! It was still pretty good though! The meal consisted of everything up to the asparagus.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater