Nator

Bacon Explosion

Re: Bacon-explosion

While I have not tried to make yet; this topic should find a home here!

A bacon roll stuffed with pork sausage and crisped bacon in a lattice work of bacon sound good to me. I intend to make this month in our KK "Dragons Egg".

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html

I think you missed the boat....hehe. This was already posted yesterday right below your post. viewtopic.php?t=2908

I suppose it is so good, it warrants two posts....hehe!

-=Jasen=-

Edit....I merged the two topics.

tcoliver wrote:

This is fresh pork bacon not cured so most people don't like it as well.

My wife's personal favorite for breakfast is uncured bacon. I have to roll out to a farmer's market to get it for her. Too bad you don't live closer, we'd buy from you!!

However, you gave me a great idea. All that cured bacon would be a bit overkill for my taste but the Bacon Explosion with a lattice of "fresh side" (uncured bacon in our parts) bacon might get me to try this! Thanks!

fresh side pork

Growing up, I would help my dad butcher hogs, the farmers who didn't want bacon would trade him ground pork or sausage for the fresh bellies. We would slice it and just use a little salt and pepper when pan fried. Great pork flavor, and with over easy eggs there was no better way to wake up on a fiercely cold Iowa winter day.

How do you typically prepare your fresh bacon?

tcoliver - per your question above, Dave answered it for me! (He just didn't realize it) We prepare our fresh bacon (fresh side) just like Dave said. The only thing that compares to the fresh side in the morning with eggs over easy would be some trout fresh from the stream! :D

Bacon explosion in a KK TASTES GREAT. Because I had no Italian sausage, I used a Bob Evans 3# that I added garlic powder and Italian dry seasoning that I had on hand. Instead of the suggested bb’q dry rub I used Murchie’s Spice Rub, and Dinosaur BB’Q sauce, and a small amount of panco bread crumbs to retain the goodness that is inside the roll. For future I will use less than the suggested 3# of sausage, perhaps 1.25 -> 1.5# and ~2# bacon in total. When making the cook in the KK I used a pizza screen to help cook all around without falling apart during the heating process.

You will need to wait for a new installment as Ms. Scouter, neighbors, and assorted friends devoured this latest goodie from the “Dragon’s Egg (named by my wife)â€

You may notice the snow in the background, 10` F. and 12†on the ground during the cook. I just need the images posted

aV1uKQn9-c97c7a59061a0373838bd305c331019c.jpg

Pq1BdGh9-c97c7a59061a0373838bd305c331019c.jpg

aV1uLlO0-c97c7a59061a0373838bd305c331019c.jpg

I saw this and decided to adapt it a bit. I am doing everything the same except instead of rolling it around a ton of raw sausage I am doing a pork loin as the core. I cooked a small amount of bacon as the crunchy first concentric circle followed by cooked crumbled breakfast sausage then then bacon weave as the outer skin.

Ingredients

2lbs bacon

1lb loose breakfast sausage

2lb pork loin

Favorite dry rub (s)

I prep the process by cooking ½ lb of the bacon to the point it is crispy and set aside as well as cook the sausage to the point it is brown and done and then set these aside.

Start by weaving the remaining raw bacon to form a tight square weave.

Season the bacon with your favorite dry rub or rub.

I used these as they provide a great flavor.

I then spread the cooked loose breakfast sausage over the seasoned bacon

I crumbled the crunchy cooked bacon and spread it over the cooked loose sausage.

Place the pork loin over one end of the heart stopping ensemble.

Gently roll towards the other side using the aluminum foil to support the weave.

When complete the entire roll should hold together.

Can’t leave it naked, dry rub to taste.

Wrap the entire roll in foil to form the “Pork Missleâ€

Put him in the Komodo or grill at a low heat 225 and smoke until center reaches a temp of 175.