LarryR

Coffee Cardamom Brisket

Cigar smoke

Cigar smoke, unlike cigarette, tends to dissipate. Lots of people hate cigar smoke, most cigar smokers know that. We try to keep our smoke away from folks. One unexpected surprise is when you meet a woman who loves cigar smoke. It's on par with a man's fantasy of meeting a chick with her own bass boat. The sense of smell is powerfully emotional and evocative. Some women are reminded of their father or grandfather, and that's why they like the aroma. Not too many out there like that, but a pleasure to associate with!

you should be using the blade section, we call it the chuck roll, the same cut as the boston butt. The arm chuck is way leaner, great for a pot roast, but I'm not sure if it would turn out the same way as the chuck roll. I've done a couple of chuck roll in the past( in theory,no pics). I had thought the target temps were 185. I have to revisit some old posts to make sure. If I put one of these baby's on this weekend I may have to fix the leak in the hot tub,or if it's as hot as it's supposed to be, we will be at the beach. Make sure you are buying choice meat at the very least. USDA Select will not do, you may have to braise it first. I'm really dying to bbq some short ribs, saw a really nice recipe for Vietnamese glazed short ribs, had them at a buddies lake house for a weekend retreat(eh-hem) best thing I have ever eaten.

Here's a good write-up on a CHUCK ROLL. It's written for a Weber Smoky Mountain but I've done it on my ceramic with very good results.

Did the Coffee Cardamom rub on a brisket just the other day; I'm not a huge bark fan so I prefer it in paste form (with the oil) vs. a dry rub. The smell is heavenly, you just want to dig a spoon deep in the food processor and take a taste.

My SO smokes cigars with me from time to time. I'm with you Doc, to me there's nothing sexier than a woman smoking a cigar.

Thanks Larry, 190/200 is the approx target, most people have been wrapping them immediately in foil and a towel placing it in a cooler for a few hours to dwell and to let the collagen dissolve.The last time I cooked a chuck roll(alleged) I let it dwell on the KK, turned out pretty good.The chuck roll is so much more forgiving than brisket if you overshoot the temps a bit.

Just rubbed down another brisket with this rub and I've got to tell you the aroma is out of this world. Speaking of scotch, sipping a glass of Macallan 18 yo, what did Co. Potter say, "not enough O's in smooth."

Going to smoke her over some oak red wine staves tomorrow using a combo of ECC and Rancher.

"I'm like a train I roll hard lettin off much steam In the carhartt flannel and dusty jeans baby I never was cool with james dean But I be hangin tough with my man jim beam . . ."

If you haven't tried this recipe get off your buttand try it. This is honestly the best brisket rub I've ever done. Wow, this is sooo good. Coffee, carmel, chocolate, leather, smoke, WOW, like a great cigar except a beefy brisket underneath. Please forgive the typing, I've been drinking Lite all day, had a couple gin and tonics before dinner and some wine w/dinner. Getting ready for a glass of port. Great day . . .

I tried this rub on some boneless country style ribs. when i mixed the ingredients I didn't have a food processor so I just lightly basted the "ribs" before bringing them home. I actually doubled the recipe thinking I would love it so the other half of the rub I brought home and proceeded to mix it up in my Vitamix. Guess I should have poured it in slowly, instead I just dumped it all in and tried to blend it. Long sory short, it got so hot that it turned into a big mass of what looked like brownie dough! hard as the dickins to clean out too! I used the "dough" to coat a pork butt for the evening's L&S, DEnise took it off the nest morning and said the crust had risen to about an inch or so and was kind of fluffy! The flavor was very intense, I liked it but it wasn't really popular. Back to the "ribs". absulutely amazing, sorry no pics this time, I plan on using this recipe for a news segment next Sat for NBC5 Chicago(around 9:00 A.M.) there will be pics! I altered the recipe a bit and used half chipotle powder and half paprika,could have used even more chipotle powder. I will try to post pics next weekend. And since I can't grill on the NBC plaza it'll have to be a show and tell without the grill.

A little different taste

This coffee cardamom rub was good; I made up a variant that is my current go-to rub. I don't measure, just eyeball. I like very strong and powerful flavors, so I use a lot of the spices. The base is brown sugar, I eyeball what I think is enough to cover the meat. The second most ingredient is paprika. Then, cinnamon, cardamom, ground ginger, any kind of ground red pepper, like ancho, cayenne or whatever is on hand, and ground cloves. Sometimes I might throw in some garlic, oregano or comino. The brown sugar tends to clump, so I put the rub mixture through a whirly blade coffee grinder briefly to achieve a good mix. I put a light dusting of Kosher salt on the meat, wait a few minutes, and then apply the rub. It is best to use very fresh and aromatic spices, old stuff has lost all its' volatile flavors. You might think your meat will taste like a pumpkin pie with this rub, but it doesn't! I put it on everything, pork butts, ribs, brisket, it is super. It's not the same as Sauerbraten, but the aromatics will make you think of it a little.

reinforcement

To amplify on my post from page one of this thread: I roasted up a batch of nice Yemen beans, as well as some Sumatra, to make the classic Mokka Java. As the coffee was brewing, I was standing across the kitchen. Suddenly I noticed a pronounced aroma of chocolate. I looked around on the countertops to see if something chocolate was laying out. Then I realized it was the Mokka in the Mokka Java! Those Yemeni coffees absolutely have flavor and aroma profiles of chocolate!!

Coffee Cardamom Brisket got me going

I just rolled up a fatty, made with a mix of half venison hamburger and half free range pork breakfast sausage. You know I'm a freak for the fall spices on meat, so... I dosed the hell out it with cinnamon, some garlic powder and smoked paprika. Cooked it indirect at 300 til 165 plus. Cinnamon in a fatty; mmm, mmm, good!

This has to be among the greatest threads I've read on any forum...BBQ, cigars, Rum, Scotch, and even fine tequila.  You guys know how to grab my attention.  I'm a fan of the cubans with the majority of my collection from Ramon Allones, La Gloria Cubana, Partagas with several choice boxes each of bolivar, cohiba, Punch, Por Larranaga and Trinidad.  I used to have more than a lifetimes worth but I think its down now to a more managable 50 years worth or so :)  I've recently discovered really good tequila through the Cuervo Familia Reserva which just blew me away and completely changed my perception of tequila.  Going to try the coffee cardamom rub for the first time on Thurs, this will definitely have to be followed by an 02 Ramon Allones 898.