mguerra

Bronze Behemoth, Game On!

frozen butt, roller coaster cook

I cooked a pork butt that was huge, and not fully thawed. In fact the bulk of it was frozen solid. My thought was it would cook unevenly and not be too good. The first two hours the temp got up around 270 because my Stoker failed and I didn't notice it. So then I removed the Stoker and set the temp with the vents to about 200. I kept the temp at 200, thinking the outer thawed part would cook slowly while the inner part thawed out. Then I went to bed and didn't worry about it. The fire went out, unbeknownst to me. I woke up at 5:30 finding the no fire situation, the grill temp was 121 and the meat temp was 129. I restarted the fire and kept around 230 for the remainder of the cook, til the meat temp hit 185. Total time was about 16 hours. It was the best pork butt/ pulled pork ever!! Even when the fire went out, the thermal mass of the KK held the heat. Obviously a frozen pork butt and a wildly out of control fire in a KK is one of the most forgiving cooking escapades you can have. I served this up at a family party yesterday and they all just went nuts for it.

There's a guy over at a site called Bamaque who says that low and slow pulled pork is hands down the best use for a ceramic cooker. And that if you ONLY did L&S pork butts, they alone are sufficient justification to have a ceramic cooker. I concur wholeheartedly.

Nephros, and the insignificant battle.

My friend Mike is a nephrologist, my name is Mike and I'm an ophthalmologist. So we have people call us Nephros and Oculos when we're together, instead of hollering out " Hey Mike!" So anyway Nephros is stuck on grilling on his gasser. He's got this Ducane he thinks is so fine. When he invites us over to eat, I just groan. He loves just turning it on and thinks charcoal is a giant pain in the ass. I have been extolling the virtues of the KK for some time now, but haven't had him over to eat yet. See, my wife won't let anyone come over here unless the place is operating room clean, which it never is because of coonhounds. Kinda of a convoluted story but hang on. So Friday I started a pork butt and pulled it off the KK on Saturday. I foiled it, wrapped it in a towel, put it in a cheap styro cooler and delivered it to Nephros for Independence Day. "Here", I said, "is some REAL food, try doing this on your Ducane". So they ate it last night and he sent a brief text: "Thanks for the fabulous meal, terrific." That's OK for a text, but when I speak with him, I expect unbridled enthusiasm! If this doesn't push him over the edge to KK cooking, he's unreachable. See, Nephros and I both think we are the smartest guy on the planet, we're a couple of know it all douchebags and nobody can stand us. Except us. When it comes to outdoor cooking, it's the proverbial irresistible force up against the immovable object. KK vs. Ducane. If I flip this guy, it will be the biggest coup ever, of something of absolutely no importance.

I think this is the first time I've seen the word douchebag on THIS forum. Pretty sure I've seen it on ANOTHER kforum.org though.Nice to see we can all make fun of ourselves ain't it?

Which would, of course, imply that one of the Mikes dabbles in Gynecology....

Bottom Round Roast

I did a 7 hr cook of a bottom round roast. First I marinated in soy and worcestershire for 12 hrs, then applied a rub. Cooked it overnight at 225, indirect, til it hit 165 degrees. It's resting now. Then, AFTER the fact I did an internet search on how to cook a bottom round. Pretty much every recipe calls for cooking in liquid. Which I did not do. Later today I'll see how it turned out!

result

It came out pretty good. This cut, like the center cut shoulder roast, does not need an extended cook to a high finish temp. This roast is not perfect, but close. It's slightly drier than I would like, as expected. As with the CCSR, I cooked it to a temp a little high. I believe these cuts can be finished around 140, plus or minus. The soy/ worcestershire marinade is superb, melds beautifully with the smoke and the rub.

Although I've not cooked one in the KK, I regularly roast bottom round's in the oven at around 350 until the internal temp hits 125..pretty rare. I transfer it immediately to the walk in cooler to rest. We then use this for our deli roast beef. I would guess, because I haven't really checked, the final temp of 135 is probably reached. Slices up very nice! and even if it 's a little more well done, fix up some au'jus and you've got some great Italian roast beef!

Lamb

I just tried something new, a lamb shoulder roast. I marinated it for a day using Allegro marinade, cooked it at 275 indirect to a finish temp of 150. That seemed like a reasonable temp based on some internet articles I checked BEFORE cooking the roast! This lamb came from U.S. Wellness:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=546

It just finished and it's 11 PM so I'll sample it in the AM and give a report.

Winner

Wowie Zowie, the lamb roast is a winner! It came out a perfect medium; I don't think you want lamb rare or medium rare. Extremely juicy and moist. This particular lamb has a very neutral flavor, not like that "strong" lamby flavor you may have experienced. It's my understanding there are a lot of different lamb varieties, and they taste different. I know Allen Brothers sells at least two kinds, and they taste quite dissimilar. When I do a pulled pork, I pull the individual muscles apart and then scrape off the fat and connective tissue from each muscle before pulling the meat apart. This gives you fat free meat. That wasn't possible on this lamb shoulder. The finish temp is too low. So this you will just slice and then cut the fat away as you eat. It's not too fatty, either. This I think is your perfect Easter or Christmas meal. You might want to do one practice one first, but my first came out perfect cooked as described above.