LarryR

Awesome rib cook

PICTURES

Had to share this cook, ribs were just out of this world. I'll put the recipe in the recipe section.

Had the house to myself as everyone is out of town so I could play my music, smoke and drink beer all day without anyone asking, "when's it going to be done." Weather was beautiful, sunny and 82. Two racks of St. Louis Spares, a great rub, 2:1 apple and oak wine staves. 250/260 dome, 5:1:1. Results were outstanding, not much of a smoke ring but as long as the flavor and tenderness is there that's all I really care about.

Internal temp, don't know as I don't temp my ribs. Cooking time, it's a bit fuzzy due to the 12 Coronas and the Patron Margaritas I'd been drinking so here's my guess. 4.5 hours then 1 hour foiled 1 hour un-foiled for a total of 6.5 - 7 hours. I ran her around 250/260 dome. The one mistake I know I made due to the amount of booze I consumed is I sauced when I put them back on the cooker for the last hour and they got a little darker due to the sugar in the sauce. Typically I sauce the last 15 min of my cook.

Wine for the chef

One of my favorite cooks of all time was the Cajun cook Justin Wilson.

I remember one time he was cooking, and he said,

"Little bit more wine for the sauce"

Then he'd take a swig, "A little bit more wine for the chef"

Then,

"Hoo-Wee! Any more wine for the chef, and I'll be saucier than this sauce here! "

LOL, one of my nephews gave me a fridge magnet that rings very true, "I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food." As much as I like wine, for me there's nothing better than hanging out around the grill for a long smoke with ice cold beer. Two just seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly or milk and cookies, just an adult version.

LOL' date=' one of my nephews gave me a fridge magnet that rings very true, "I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food." As much as I like wine, for me there's nothing better than hanging out around the grill for a long smoke with ice cold beer. Two just seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly or milk and cookies, just an adult version.[/quote']

Agreed. Nothing is as relaxing as laying in the hammock with a cold beer, and some peanuts and pistachios to keep you thirsty, while smelling the que lingering on the breeze. Well, except maybe a patron and cointreau margarita :occasion5:

Cardamom ribs

Well, we've been talking lately about the Big Bob Gibson ribs on the Today show, and about the coffee cardamom rub for brisket and chucks, so I decided to try this. I made up a rub of dark brown sugar, cardamom, ground ginger, cinnamon, comino, paprika and kosher salt. No measuring ingredients, just eyeballed it. Rubbed it into some back ribs and let sit at room temp for about 45 minutes. Set the KK to 220, put the ribs on at 1:00 CDT and came back to work. Going to play golf later (with cigars and tequila, one shot only) and then go home and see what I've got!

ribs

So, that worked out super! The instructions from Chris Lilly were to cook at 250 for four hours, but I knew I would be gone longer than that. So I set the temp at 220 and the ribs cooked for about 4-1/2 to 5 hours. They came out perfect, tender, moist, not dried out. That rub is great on ribs. I'm going to be using cardamom and ginger and cinnamon a lot!! I'm steering away from pre-prepared rubs because I can't control the salt in those. My guess is that there is far more salt in them than necessary. It's cheap, and always the first ingredient on the list. What I'm doing is just putting a light dust of salt on the meat, to start drawing up the moisture, and then a few minutes later, the rub. My guess is that a rub with too much salt will draw too much moisture up the surface of the meat, and then it will cook off. Yesterday's ribs, with my light salt, were moister than any I've cooked with a pre-prepared rub.

Re: ribs

My guess is that a rub with too much salt will draw too much moisture up the surface of the meat' date=' and then it will cook off. [/quote']

"They" say that the salt on the outside (brine or rub) will draw liquid out of the meat. But then the meat draws the liquid back in, taking the dissolved seasoning with it into the meat. That's why if you salt uncooked meat, it's best to let it sit long enough to give both parts of that process time to take place. One doesn't want to put salt on and leave it only long enough to draw moisture out. At least, according to "Them."

Drawing moisture out (only) has the added difficulty of making the surface wet, inhibiting the Maillard reaction. Instead of browning, the surface temp of the meat stays low until the moisture evaporates, resulting in steamed meat.

But what do "They" know?

There are lots of commercial rubs and seasonings that are not overly salty, but way too many that are. Check out "Sweet Girl" rub,

Try the Great American Spice Company website at http://www.americanspice.com

They have lots of BBQ rubs, marinades, and sauces listed from many different suppliers. Nice thing is that they list the ingredients and cost per ounce for every product.