seanwiley

leaky lid?

When I shut down the cooker, I see wisps of smoke come out of the lip between the lid and the base. Not a lot, but majority of the charcoal burns each time. Last night I was using the extruded coconut and cooking around 250 for 2 hours, so based on other folk's descriptions, it seems like i should've had a fair amount left over.

Is that an accurate perception? Is it normal for a little bit of smoke to leak out? I wiped around the lip to make sure there wasn't any food or ash possibly keeping it open. Didn't seem to be.

Any help/suggestions would be great.....

Two things are pretty common:

1. Make sure the lid is fully latched. There's a "cracked" mode where the lid is slightly open and unless you push on the latch it won't seal all the way.

2. You can also try readjusting your lid by removing tension on the spring, opening the lid a few times (be careful not to drop it!), and then tightening the spring again. It's normal for a new cooker to come out of alignment a bit during the few few cooks as it settles.

My 23" loosened a bit during shipping as well, it's easy to tighten and if you want you can also grab some Loctite Blue (DON'T use the red stuff or you'll never get them apart again!) which will hold it in place even better. I haven't bothered with the Loctite yet.

Two Position latch - Closed and Snug!

yeah - did some burgers on it tonight and i think the latch isn't catching when I press on it. Just pops back up a fraction. Seems like that little screw in front is a little loose. Too hot to mess with it much right now though...

I'm pretty confidant that you did not notice that the latch is a two position latch.

When the top is lowered the latch catches and holds in the first position.

You then need to firmly press down on the handle and firmly press the latch handle towards the body...

This forces the bearing to roll up to the next position on the catch which is very tight and snug...

Sorta a cam action..