cruzmisl

Trader Joe's hardwood Briquettes

Hi All,

I've always used lump but have been getting tired of paying $1lb for the stuff. I even tried to get a deal on it by buying it by the pallet but no such luck. Apparently not much mark up in it.

Anyway, I was in Trader Joe's today and noticed they had hardwood briquettes. A bag was $6 or so and was 18lbs. I tried it tonight and it was pretty good stuff and burned a long time. No strange flavors or any other weirdness. Not too sure how much ash was produced though, the cooker was too hot.

I used it for grilling but will stick with lump for the low and slows. Give it a try. For $6 or so its not a bad deal.

Joe

I'm 99% sure this is Rancher's Original Hardwood Briquettes being sold under the Trader Joe name The Whiz could probably confirm). I use the stuff exclusively for grilling (ECC for low and slow). It's good stuff, a little "ashy" but no off smells etc. Don't rule it out for low and slows too. I've used it on a couple of my shorter low/slow cooks with excellent results.

I got in on the $2.99 a 20 lb bag sale at HD last year, bought about 40 bags of the stuff, down to my last 5 :(

Was short on time getting my butt cook going last night so I mixed some of this in with 26 pieces of ECC (to get to temp faster) and so far I've really liked the results, nice even temps for the last 15 hours. Butts should be done soon, sitting at 188.2, going to check at 190.

I've been using the ECC every Friday nite for our low and slow butt roasts , as well as cooking with it every day except Sunday and Monday during the week since the end of April. Haven't had a problem with it burning out after the cooks. Hard to judge the ash content, but it usually stays intact until I shake the basket the next day. I have heard from others that it's bad to use the leftover charcoal, because it will pick up "off" flavors( from Gary Wiviott's recent barbeque book "Low and Slow")He has obviously not cooked with a KK. I don't think there is any more ash content than the Natural Lump that I use, it's probably more noticeable because the color is a little pinkish/orange. I think the "Whiz" may have confirmed this as well.

Just to clarify, this comment, "It's good stuff, a little "ashy"" was referring to Rancher not ECC.

BTW, loved how the two played together, my cook went about 21:45 using the above mixture of ECC and Rancher, I'd say I probably had another 3 hours left in the load. I wish I would have counted but I'd guess I used less than 25 Rancher briquettes. I used a Stoker on this cook too, rock steady temps.

On a KK I bet I could have gotten away with less of both, my "other" ceramic is a bit drafty around the lid, need to redo the original seal sometime soon.

I'm 99% sure this is Rancher's Original Hardwood Briquettes being sold under the Trader Joe name The Whiz could probably confirm). I use the stuff exclusively for grilling (ECC for low and slow). It's good stuff, a little "ashy" but no off smells etc. Don't rule it out for low and slows too. I've used it on a couple of my shorter low/slow cooks with excellent results.

I got in on the $2.99 a 20 lb bag sale at HD last year, bought about 40 bags of the stuff, down to my last 5 :(

I'm not the Whiz, but I have whizzed before (and I'm sure I will again)... Trader Joe briquettes are re-badged Original Charcoal Company "Rancher".

Re: Trader Joe's hardwood Briquettes

I just tried the TJ hardwood, and wonder if its spiked with nitrates to keep burning?

I set the KK up for a low and slow, and royal oak will always settle in about 225 the way it was set.

After an hour it was at 225. After four hours, it was at 450.

I shut everything down to extinguish, and 24 hours later, the kk is still at 220, and when the lid is lifted, you can smell a bit of ammonia.

I've never had this happen before!

Mike

Re: Trader Joe's hardwood Briquettes

Thinking back, I have smelled ammonia before, you're right.

However, what has me concerned is my total lack of ability to snuff this stuff.

It's just going to keep going until the entire bowl is burned out, even though all holes are plugged, all dampers are shut and no smoke is visible anywhere.

Don't think I'll try it again...