DennisLinkletter

Stoker details

It would be nice to arrange a "universal" hole, that could be adapted to either the BBQ Guru, the Stoker, or any brand yet to emerge. (Brands do also disappear.)

Were I to order a Stoker (and a KK with said breathing tube) I'd probably want to go back and forth to my dead-simple Pit Minder, depending on the cook.

The draft door adapters are unwieldy, unnecessarily big, and an unwanted intellectual challenge to insert properly. That's why I drilled a Guru port into my old K.

better solution

Remember that the nozzle in these photos is an adapter that you order (purchase for $35.00) for your unique application. Dennis, you can make your own adapter that fits directly on the fan housing, just like this pictured one does. That way you wouldn't have to make an adapter to this adapter! And then we wouldn't have to buy 2 adapters! When I get my Stoker back, I will post the details of the 4 bolt spacing that attaches this adapter to the fan housing, and you can make your own. Here's a picture of the fan before you order any of the various adapters for all the different cookers:

http://www.rocksbarbque.com/10cfm_small.JPG

Re: better solution

Remember that the nozzle in these photos is an adapter that you order (purchase for $35.00) for your unique application. Dennis' date=' you can make your own adapter that fits directly on the fan housing, just like this pictured one does. That way you wouldn't have to make an adapter to this adapter! And then we wouldn't have to buy 2 adapters![/quote']

mguerra is right. The best thing would be an adaptor that fits directly to the fan . A sheet of steel with a hole and tube the same size and design as the BBQ Guru fan would fit the bill.

I'm a bit confused. You try and contact a business owner to get specs for HIS product so that HE can sell more of them and he blows you off???? :eek:

Frankly, based on the poor service he has given you, as well as other forum members, I wouldn't bother.

Joe

I really also don't get the business modell of the Rock's Bar-B-Que company. Before I ordered the BBQ Guru I was thinking of buying the Stoker and sent them a message. I never got an answer so I ordered the BBQ Guru and I'm really happy with it.

Remember that the nozzle in these photos is an adapter that you order (purchase for $35.00) for your unique application. Dennis, you can make your own adapter that fits directly on the fan housing, just like this pictured one does. That way you wouldn't have to make an adapter to this adapter! And then we wouldn't have to buy 2 adapters! When I get my Stoker back, I will post the details of the 4 bolt spacing that attaches this adapter to the fan housing, and you can make your own. Here's a picture of the fan before you order any of the various adapters for all the different cookers:

If that's the case.. I think John should definitely make an adaptor that fits into a Guru inducer tube for customers who have multiple cookers and already have a Guru.. Don't cha think?

If that's the case.. I think John should definitely make an adaptor that fits into a Guru inducer tube for customers who have multiple cookers and already have a Guru.. Don't cha think?

I also think he should build a wireless interface into the device. I wrote him to suggest this, didn't hear back. So these other stories don't surprise me.

On islands off of Sicily, they skipped the whole land-line phone thing, went straight to cellular. If my daughter's netbook can pick up every base station in the neighborhood, this can't be hard.

Meanwhile, BBQ Guru replaced their PitMinder with a no-display model, only two buttons. Can't help but think of the evolution of film cameras, where abruptly it became cheaper to go digital than to build mechanical controls. Then the film itself went digital. We can't be far off from the day where a wireless web browser interface to a BBQ controller will be less expensive than those two remaining buttons.

Syzgies - You make a great point. I entertained building a powerdraft control with a buddy of mine. We would have outsourced the thermodynamics and built the logic on a chip. In two days he had the wireless control part (WIFI) and the beginnings of the GUI (Screen Controls for those not familiar with the acronym) all but done. The package at this point was the size of a single pack of gum. I don't get the decision to do less on the CyberQ to this day outside of not having the expertise in-house. Both BBQGuru and Stoker are one enterprising business man or woman away from becoming yesterday's news. IMHO, YMMV.... PS - I certainly hope this isn't the case for BBQGuru - I really like these guys!! And I'll throw props to Stoker as he has built a product that people enjoy too!

We would have outsourced the thermodynamics

You should keep going! "Thermodynamics" is an awfully big word for turning a fan on and off. The basic algorithm for deciding what fraction of each cycle to turn on the fan is a cross-industry classic going back many decades, any number of $50 universal controllers on eBay employ exactly this algorithm and a temp probe reading circuit. And this algorithm would be far easier to implement in code on a gumstick controller.

Here's the problem in a nutshell. Suppose you want a 225 F fire. If you turn the fan on all the time at 220 F, none of the time at 230 F, and a proportionate amount of time in between, your "process" will reach an equilibrium somewhere in between 220 F and 230 F. Unfortunately, perhaps not exactly 225 F. So the algorithm is a robust procedure for deciding to move the 220 F, 230 F interval until the equilibrium is exactly at 225 F. Easier said than done, but not rocket science!

Yes he should. That would save me a boatload of money. Everything I own has guru adapters on them except for the 14" Smoke Joe.

I'll measure my Stoker fan when I get home to see the bolt pattern. Problen is... I won't be home until Sunday eve.

Finally

I have my Stoker fan and Guru fan here side by side. The Guru nozzle/damper assembly will bolt right on to the Stoker fan assembly. You simply have to drill two holes. So, that is one solution, assuming Guru will sell the nozzle/damper as a separate part.

Another solution is for John at Rock's to make an adapter with a 31 mm nozzle, which is the O.D. of the Guru nozzle. The Stoker nozzle is 32 mm O.D.

Another solution is for Dennis to just keep making a 1-3/8" port! That, in my opinion is the best. We can then use either product, nobody has to finagle a Guru nozzle to a Stoker fan housing, nor would John have to make a new, smaller sized nozzle adapter. I humbly suggest to you, Dennis, you revert to your original port. I understand the attraction, functionally and aesthetically, to the Guru specific port, but the old port is more versatile. One man's opinion.

Got it!

I spoke with the BBQ guru folks just now and they are selling me a Guru nozzle/damper assembly for $24. That is cheaper than the Stoker adapter that fits the old KK 1-3/8 in port, $35. I will bolt this to my Stoker fan housing, thus enabling use of the Stoker fan in the Guru sized port! I did not mention WHY I wanted this assembly. If you want to order one to bolt on to your Stoker fan housing, I wouldn't mention that. My guess is that there aren't a lot of people who would do this anyway, so they really shouldn't care. So, this is one solution to the Stoker nozzle/ Guru port size mismatch. I would re-iterate what I said before. It is more versatile to continue making KK ports 1-3/8 inches. I have the 1-3/8 in port and don't need to do the above described mod, I am simply doing it to demonstrate it is possible. Plus I won't have to remove my Guru bulkhead inducer tube when I want to use the Stoker. I will post photos ASAP.

Just curious, since I don't have a Stoker, but what kind of electrical connector are they using to connect the fan to the Stoker unit and what is the cost of the fan? Wondering how simple it would be to just use a Guru fan and change the connector to fit Stoker or in the case of having Stoker and Guru, split the wiring and have both connectors. Would save the cost of an extra fan too. Could always go the other way on the fans if you already have a Stoker fan and bought a Guru unit.

There should be little difference between fan operation other than the Stoker has a damper that closes when it is not running and the Guru has a slide damper. Though as long as I have been using my Guru, not having a damper that closes has never been a problem (provided your settings are correct). I even shut mine down via the Guru with no issues.

Anyway, just another possibility.

-=Jasen=-

Edit....little more work and the cost of two electrical connectors, but if you did not want to cut into the fan wires, a simple adapter could be made.