Loquitur

Early Cooking Mistakes

My first cook was a 7 lb chicken with ABT's. I wanted something with a wide temp berth since I don't have experience with charcoal and needed to keep the temp below 400 per Dennis. The plan was to light the coals with my new Bernzomatic torch, keep high air flow until the temp was 300 and then shut it down to hold at somewhere around 350. This worked pretty well but not perfectly. First I have to say that the torch is awesome!!! :P I filled the basket with Cowboy, which is the only type my local hardware store carries, plus two chunks of hickory, and lit three spots. In retrospect, I think I heated the coals a little too long with the torch and had too big a fire. I started to shut down at the 325 setting on the wheel as shown in the manual but over an hour and a half period, the temp climbed to 400. But it still worked out fine - the bird was delicious. It was a simple preparation - air dried overnite, S&P, aromatics and fresh garden herbs in the cavity, trussed, S&P and olive oil rubbed on the skin. I didn't open the grill until an hour had passed at which time I added the ABT's. I opened it a second time to remove the chicken according to my thermo's. It was very succulent and tasty. It had just the right amount of smoke flavor for a chicken not to mention the heavenly aroma after the ABT's were added. I burned quite a bit of charcoal - I would say about half a basket.

Other than overheating the charcoal with the torch, I made three mistakes on this cook. After I turned the torch off and removed the canister, I laid it across 2 grills on a table. After a while it was in my way so I grabbed the bottom of the tube to move it. %&^*)$^% :mad: - OUCH - that sucker was hot!!! Fortunately it had cooled off enough that I didn't blister but you can be sure I'll not do that again. Also, I forgot to line the drip pan with foil so I had a pretty big mess after that big chicken. Lastly, I forgot to have the oil ready to do the grate when I opened the lid to add the food so I skipped it.

My second cook was St. Louis spare ribs - Big Bob Gibson Memphis style (shhh - no D word please :eek: ). This time I only lit one spot in the center of the basket for a few seconds. It took a long time to get the temp up to 200, when I put the ribs on, but I got it to hold 250 easily. I didn't open the lid for 6 hours. The texture of the ribs was fantastic but I used too much rub for our taste. I liked the rub very much and will use it again - just a little less of it, especially after the vinegar dunk. Also, I would have preferred more smoke flavor. I put in three chunks of hickory but the fire never got big enough to get to 2 of them. I barely burned any charcoal at all. My big mistake on this one was I left the drip pan in the kitchen after cleaning it and forgot it altogether! So now I have a mess on my pizza stone. I forgot to have the oil ready for the grate this time too so I skipped it again.

All in all, I consider it a big jump on the learning curve and lots of fun for sure. I’m happy my backordered Stoker just arrived so I won’t have to spend so much time watching the temps.

Any tips or critiques from you pros is greatly appreciated!!

No picture of the ribs because it was raining when I took them off.

aV11UAf9-55ab74903bd1e8e4e959729b0c910454-resize.jpg

51947693.th.jpg

Sounds like you are doing just fine! :D

The best thing you can do is just keep cooking. You've got the process right for two different types of cooking - When you lit three areas of coals and opened everything up for quick temps, that exactly what you want to do for grilling. Get 'er up to 500 - 550 F for grilling some phenomenal steaks! Light one area of coals in the center and bring 'er up to temps slowly to 225 - 240 F for those low and slows. Let your KK heat soak so you know the temps are rock steady if you are going to walk away or sleep during a low and slow. Use your Stoker and it should take care of it for you!

Great pic of your first cook!

Thanks, Conodo, I really appreciate your comments and am very encouraged. I know this process is a life long pursuit and that there are new lessons to be learned the entire way.

If I can impose further with a question - how do I get a nice smoky flavor from a small fire? My bigger fire with the chicken and two chunks of hickory had much more smoke than my small fire where only one of the three chunks ever lit. Should I just pile some chunks on top of the small area that I light with the torch? Or use one big chunk, like a log, over the small area that I light? Or do I open the lid and add another chunk over the lit area as I go, replacing the chunk when I can't smell it anymore?

The seal between the lid and the body of the KK is great. I can really feel how the parts fasten together when pushing down on the handle and pushing in with the latch. There is no way any air is escaping there. Super quality all the way. :!:

Susan

Congrats on your new cooker. While some of us may be more seasoned no one is ever "perfect". There is always room for improvement! Having said that you will find that the more you cook with the K, the more intuitive it becomes. I've cooked many great things and some not so great :) (no fault of the cooker)

I found that the best infusion of smoke for short cooks is with wood chips as opposed to chunks. They smoke easier and faster, just don't open the cooker for too long otherwise they'll catch fire. I also found that you should try and heat soak the K for 1/2hr to let the cooker absorb some of the heat, otherwise you can overshoot the temps a bit.

When you get your stoker be very careful bout how much coal you light and initially set the pit temp to 175f or so. Once stabilized after 1/2hr you can bump it up to 225 or wherever you want it to be. This way you won't overshoot and it will be easier to control.

Maybe you could plan a menu and ask for some recipes and tips in advance....just a thought.

Also check out my tutorial for pulled pork, may learn something there.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-pulled-pork-A-classic-low-and-slow/

Susan, the secret to a great taste for your BBQ is in the quality of the smoke as opposed to the quantity. White, puffy, billowy smoke tends to leave a bitter taste on your Que. It is that same smoke that turns the inside of your smoker black (amongst other things). What you want to do is get your fist-sized pieces of smoke wood smoldering. Notice I did not say "lit". Once it starts to burn (not ignite into flames) it will start to put out that white smoke we discussed. Let this pass as your cooker slowly comes up to temperature. When you see your temp stabilize at your desired level (at least 30 mins) and the white smoke is gone, look for a blue-translucent smoke to be leaving your KK. This is the good stuff! Put on your meat and let that meal cook to your desired temp. You will find that your meats will have a hint or complimentary smoke taste as opposed to that overwhelming taste that comes with over smoking. It takes some time and patience, but your que will be very desired and your guests will wonder, just how does she do it?!?!

Using a Smoke Pot

For smoke, I have a two quart cast iron dutch oven, with three 1/8" holes drilled in the bottom. I fill it with apple and/or hickory chips and chunks; 40# bags from Lazzari last a long time, even two quarts at a time. I seal the lid with a flour/water paste, pretty much what Moroccans do to keep their couscous pots tight. I set the pot in with the charcoal. Typically, I use a propane torch to light the charcoal under the pot.

This is modeled after the procedure for making charcoal; the wood off-gases and turns to charcoal without ever actually burning. I only use this for low & slow; somewhere near 300 F the pot gases catch fire, and can generate an extraordinary amount of heat. (After a small starter fire, making charcoal is self-sustaining.)

In other words, I'm only using part of the smoke I could be using. This is a selection process, and selection processes change taste. Armagnac tastes different from moonshine, in part because of a different selection process while distilling.

Our smoke becomes one ingredient of many, in balance with the other seasonings, even using two quarts of smoking wood at a time. My wife won't let me do this any other way, after tasting the difference.

After many cruel disappointments at commercial establishments serving BBQ with no smoke, one can become obsessed with smoke. It is unlikely that all of one's guests will share this distorted obsession. One can also get over this, and realize that smoke is an ingredient, to use in balance.

...I found that the best infusion of smoke for short cooks is with wood chips as opposed to chunks.

Also check out my tutorial for pulled pork, may learn something there.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-pulled-pork-A-classic-low-and-slow/

Thanks, cruzmisl. I read and bookmarked your "instructable" on pulled pork when you announced here that you had posted it. It will definitely be my guide for my first pulled pork, which might be this weekend if I can get my Stoker up and running. Looking at the instructable again, I can see how wood chips would be helpful.

" Maybe you could plan a menu and ask for some recipes and tips in advance....just a thought."

That's an invitation I coudn't possibly refuse!!

Susan

Susan' date=' the secret to a great taste for your BBQ is in the quality of the smoke as opposed to the quantity. White, puffy, billowy smoke tends to leave a bitter taste on your Que.... What you want to do is get your fist-sized pieces of smoke wood smoldering. Notice I did not say "lit".... when the white smoke is gone, look for a blue-translucent smoke to be leaving your KK. This is the good stuff! [/quote']

Thanks again, Conodo. I think I just lucked out with the nice smoky flavor I had with the chicken. I used two fist sized chunks of hickory and they were both mostly consumed in the cook. I didn't know to look for the blue smoke but it must have been there because I could smell the lovely aroma for the entire cook. I didn't have this aroma for very long during the rib cook so I wasn't surprised when it was over to see that the fire hadn't spread enough to burn more than the one small chunk directly above where I lit the charcoal.

I'm wondering, roughly how close to the burning charcoal does a wood chunk have to be to smoulder?

Susan

I have had good results getting a nice smoke flavor for short cooks using pellets in either a cast iron smoke pot or an aluminum foil pouch. Here is one source for them. http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/ They have a starter package that contains samples of all their different woods and a smoke pot.

Roy

Thanks, Dachsie. I think I have one of those small cast iron smoke pots around here somewhere and those pellets look easy to store. I guess I woud put the cast iron pot directly on top of the area I light with the torch?

I think your mistake looked perfect..

I think your mistake looked perfect.. and if it was very succulent and tasty, I'd do whatever you did again..

aV11UAf9-55ab74903bd1e8e4e959729b0c910454-resize.jpg

Just wrapping the wood in charcoal in tin foil and then putting the foil over the burning coal with the side with the holes down will do almost the same thing as the smoke-pot.. What it's doing is running the smoke thru the heat of the coals to burn off the acrid volatiles which occur at the beginning of the smoke.

Re: Using a Smoke Pot

For smoke' date=' I have a two quart cast iron dutch oven, with three 1/8" holes drilled in the bottom. I fill it with apple and/or hickory chips and chunks; 40# bags from Lazzari last a long time, even two quarts at a time. I seal the lid with a flour/water paste, pretty much what Moroccans do to keep their couscous pots tight. I set the pot in with the charcoal. Typically, I use a propane torch to light the charcoal under the pot......In other words, I'm only using part of the smoke I could be using. This is a selection process..... [/size']

Wow, Syzygies, that's some technique you've developed! I hope I'll acquire enough experience some day that I can be as discriminating.

Susan

Susan, once you have brought your KK up to temp and it has stabilized for 15 mins. or so, add your smoke wood chunks to the burning embers. When smoking, you are cooking at 220 F to 240 F. You will not have a fire (per se) in your firebox but rather burning embers. You will see the white billowy smoke for a period of time but it will settle down fairly quickly. Add your meat at that time and you will get the smoke flavor that you are seeking every time. I wait until there is very little white smoke present or close to none (more grey). Once the meat is added, you will see that translucent blue smoke as your meat starts to cook and the smell is unmistakable. Your neighbors peering over into your yard will be evidence that you got it right! :lol::lol:

RE: Big Mess on Pizza Stone

Thats no biggie, just flip it over next cook and it will burn clean. :D

Now ya tell me!!! 8)

BTW, I used your recipe for the modified ABT's. My husband picked up the peppers and he got really big ones. The cherry tomatoes helped fill the cavities and made them extra moist and delicious. That's definitely a keeper. :)

Yep, I think it makes them much sweeter, too. Thats the only way I make them anymore.

Conodo is telling you right on the smoke...toss in a few chunks when the fire is hot, and wait for the white cloud to settle down before you add your meat. I am not a fan of chips, as I find that they burn up entirely too fast if not packed into a container.

For longer cooks, I mix a bunch of wood in with the charcoal, all the way through to the bottom of the bowl, so there is almost always at least one piece smoldering. As you found, its hit or miss which way the fire goes when you use only a few pieces. A 250 degree fire has to basically contact the wood to make it burn. After the cook, you can remove any unburned wood to save for next time, so dont be afraid to mix in a few extra pieces.

Here are some pics of how I load the wood for ribs:

viewtopic.php?t=1567

BTW, dont confuse the heat deflector with the pizza stone...one of them is a little smaller and is covered with a layer of white alumina. That white coating will get dry and flaky with enough heat and start to come off on your food. The pizza stone is a little bigger, and has a very smooth and shiny top surface...you dont want to let drippings get all over this one :o The deflector you can just flip after each cook. The burned off drippings just add some flavor, like the lava rock in your gas grill :D

Thanks, Firemonkey, and all the other kind gentlemen who responded on this thread. I have a much clearer idea about how to produce the smoke and how different temps will require different techniques. I've now added apple wood chips and sugar maple and jack daniels pellets to my hickory chunks as smoking materials and am ready to experiment, especially on short cooks on the horizon such as burgers and chops.

FM, everything in that cook looks fantastic. Are you a food stylist or something??? ;)

BTW, dont confuse the heat deflector with the pizza stone...one of them is a little smaller and is covered with a layer of white alumina. .....The pizza stone is a little bigger, and has a very smooth and shiny top surface...you dont want to let drippings get all over this one

Hmmmmm.... :? I think Dennis might be shipping the accessories differently now. I received one, heavy, stonelike piece which fits in the smaller stainless pan and I thought that was a combo pizza stone/heat deflector. I was thinking about ordering another of those stonelike pieces in a larger size if Dennis has it and use that one solely as a pizza stone.

Susan

I received one' date=' heavy, stonelike piece which fits in the smaller stainless pan [/quote']

That is the heat deflector, I can't tell you that it has not been used as a pizza stone, however, I wouldn't. Firemonkey accurately pointed out that the coating will come off and I don't think it was intended for food contact. Dennis was working on a pizza stone product, I don't know the status of that. Personally I use a Fibrament stone and it has performed well for over a year now.

You can see the pizza stone in my calzone thread. Sorry, no link as I'm posting from my iPhone on the plane. There is also a recent thread from within the week where Dennis said he now has some pizza stones available for those interested.

Like fetz said, any pizza stone works, but as you can see in my calzone and pizza threads, Dennis' thick stone holds just the right amount of heat.