cruzmisl

Smoke pot?

I like that experiment. Simplest version would be to place a one quart dutch oven, then build the fire around, up and over it.

One issue is to make sure that the dutch oven gets enough initial heat. This is why I like starting the fire by propane torch, under the pot and near the holes. Since one only needs a localized small fire for low & slow, this makes sure the fire starts where it can do the most good.

The paste really isn't such a big deal. A pianist practicing 90 seconds has me beat on any dexterity task I face in a day. As I've said, this is a routine fix for poorly fitting lids, steaming couscous in Morocco.

Carbide? I don't remember it being a problem. People who routinely drill metal use boring oils (meant to bore holes, I don't mean canola :lol:), you might use any oil on hand.

Cast iron is soft, I don't remember this being that difficult. Now sawing the steel handles off my largest paella pan so I could close the lid, that was difficult!

Cruzmisl - Would you mind posting some pics of yours in the KK? I am intrigued to try this, but want to see how the fuel and pot fit in the KK.

I tried wrapping a bunch of peach twigs in a couple layers of foil last week. I poked a few holes in the pouch and tossed it on top of the fire when i roasted a chicken. Perfect blue smoke :D

Cruzmisl - Would you mind posting some pics of yours in the KK? I am intrigued to try this, but want to see how the fuel and pot fit in the KK.

I tried wrapping a bunch of peach twigs in a couple layers of foil last week. I poked a few holes in the pouch and tossed it on top of the fire when i roasted a chicken. Perfect blue smoke :D

Will do. Give me a few days though. Having some surgery this morning so won't be able to Q for a bit.

This is a stainless camping pot that I've used for quite some time. It comes in 3 different sizes I think. After drilling a few holes in the bottom it works great for me.

rei{dot}com{slash}product{slash}401131

The folding handle lock solves the problem of sealing it without any fuss.

Just my meager contribution.

gy

This is a stainless camping pot that I've used for quite some time. It comes in 3 different sizes I think. After drilling a few holes in the bottom it works great for me.

The folding handle lock solves the problem of sealing it without any fuss.

MSR Stowaway Pot - 475ml (0.50 quarts, $15.95)

MSR Stowaway Pot - 775ml (0.82 quarts, $17.95)

MSR Stowaway Pot - 1600ml (1.69 quarts, $24.95)

Nice find! I may have to move forward from the bronze age, and try this. (I'd go for either or both of the larger ones.)

That pot looks like it is thin-walled metal. I would assume it wouldn't work as well as a thick-walled cast iron pot in making sure the wood inside doesn't catch fire (i.e.' date=' only smolders). [/quote']

I did experiment with many options back in the day, as did others in response. One viable alternative others found was a stainless steel "pipe bomb", holes in the middle, screw caps exactly as one would make a pipe bomb. Expensive and didn't appeal to me, I prefer the romance of the cast iron and the flour paste, as if I were a Moroccan peasant.

I tried stainless steel canisters as used in India for food storage (those bicycle delivery services that rush the wife's four course lunch to the husband working in Mumbai) but the lid blew off. If this mechanism holds airtight, we're set. If not any leak causes convection and the wood inside burns.

I wouldn't worry about thinner material per se, if the seal holds. Without oxygen, the wood can't burn, it can only produce gases which can burn once they leave the pot. Different effect. Perhaps the performance characteristics would be different, how much wood, how soon and how long it smokes, but hard to say one is better without the experiment.

Nevertheless, I'm very happy with cast iron and flour paste, and I'm too swamped to reinvent the wheel now. But were I instead hearing this from someone else, of course I'd experiment!

[We're getting ready to jump on a KK. In a different thread I may ask for advice on the K7 to KK transition...]

Okay so I went ahead and bought a 2 qt cast iron pot and loaded it with bourbon oak barrel wood. I sealed as instructed with the flour paste and smoked some baby backs. I was amazed not only with the flavor of the ribs but how nice the smoke smelled compared to the regular throw some chunks on the fire way. I'll be experimenting some more this weekend and let you know the results. Thanks for the great Ideas!

That pot looks like it is thin-walled metal. I would assume it wouldn't work as well as a thick-walled cast iron pot in making sure the wood inside doesn't catch fire (i.e., only smolders).

It is thin-walled compared to cast iron - there is no doubt. But this really doesn't cause any problem. I believe what prevents the wood from catching fire is the absence of oxygen (tight seal and small holes toward the fire, i.e. bottom).

Many people use wood chips in aluminum foil to smoke with - can't get much thinner-walled than that.

gy