Otto Maddock

Bronze #580 Reporting for Duty

Second Rib Cook - Request Opinions

I jumped back on the horse this weekend with my 2nd pork rib cook. We decided to try rack of baby back ribs and a rack of spare ribs.

I used a modified version of Chris Lilly's dry rub in which I replaced 2 tablespoons of paprika with 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper.

The ribs were in the Komodo for 6 hours at 250 degrees. The ribs fell off the bone when when I took them off the grill! My question is: Would these be considered to have been left on the grill too long?

The ribs were fantastic if I say so myself. We had 5 people for dinner and there was only 3 ribs leftover.

60707530.jpg

55840358.jpg

If they were fantastic, then they weren't on the cooker too long. :)

Some like a more toothsome rib, which would allow some pull off the bone. They might say too long on the cooker.

I did some that were "fall off" tender, and my guests said that's just how they prefer them! So, not too long at all.

Gotta love a "something for everyone" recipe. :happy8:

When are ribs ready?

My trick to check readiness is to grab the rack about a third of the way across from the end and to give it a little bounce.. if the meat tears or starts to tear they are ready.. if it breaks you went just a tad too far and the meat will fall off the bone.. I like to have to use my teeth to take a bite but the meat should come completely clean from the bone..

Sound like you need to buy and cook a couple more racks..

;););)

Whether or not they were "overdone" I think is a matter of personal preference. I like Dennis prefer my meat to come cleanly off the bone with a gentle tug. My SO on the other hand likes hers falling off the bone. As long as they weren't dry I think you were fine.

I too do the holding with tongs and if they start to tear towards the center they're done. You can also insert a meat thermometer between the ribs and when it slides in and out with little to no resistance they're also done.

Here's my question, what type of ribs do YOU prefer?

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. :-)

I had a feeling the ribs might have been on the grill a bit too long when the spare ribs broke in half when trying to removed them. Once on the cutting board the meat fell off the bone so I ended up doing a pulled-pork thing. We could have had sandwiches! The meat was tender & juicy and the dry rub was nice and spicy. We almost ate both racks. (We needed to save room for some Ben & Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio ice cream. I highly recommend it!)

Last week I went to a new BBQ place down the street and the pork ribs were very disappointing and mostly fat. They would not even pull from the bone. The "Kansas City Sauce" tasted like it was nothing more than vinegar and ketchup. I was bothered to think that this type of presentation was the standard. My technogeekiness requires me to compare my ribs to the restaurant's. Hence my request for opinions.

There's an axiom in baseball that can be applied to the dinner: In baseball, the hitters will indirectly tell the pitcher how well he is doing with their batting performance. As for the ribs, the guests will indirectly tell the cook how good the food is by eating a lot of it! (or not...) It was nice that everyone had 2nd's and 3rd's.

So, in order to pay penance to the rib celestial beings, I have accepted Dennis' (and Fetzervalve's) judgment that requires me to cook more ribs and drink more beer! It will be a long hard road, complete with laughter & fun with friends, but I think I'm up to the challenge! :D

Re: Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. :-)

So' date=' in order to pay penance to the rib celestial beings, I have accepted Dennis' (and Fetzervalve's) judgment that requires me to cook more ribs and drink more beer! It will be a long hard road, complete with laughter & fun with friends, but I think I'm up to the challenge! :D[/quote']

Godspeed.... :happy8:

Your ribs were overcooked for my liking but if I was at your house for dinner I certainly would have eaten them :D I find if your temps are stable baby's should be done in 4 maybe 5hrs hrs. When the meat has pulled back from the bone about 1/4 to 3/8" they're done.

The beauty of the K is even food that is not "perfectly cooked" is more than palatable and definitely better than any restaurant or your neighbors gasser, as you have experienced. Having said that, "perfect" BBQ varies with who you ask. Its not like French cooking where the technique is very specific and if its not done that way its wrong. You cook it the way you like it.

I was invited by a friend for dinner a while back. He decided to cook some ribs but he has a gasser and no idea about low and slow. Ribs were cooked in 45 minutes and served. Those had way too much "tooth" for me. It was like jerky on a bone. I think I went through 14 toothpicks after dinner. I ate them because I didn't want to be rude or labeled a food snob :)

Have fun trying new things and finding out what works best for you and what your family enjoys.

My 2cents on ribs....

I have used the rib rack from Southern Steamers so I can do up to 9 racks at a time, typical cook time is 5-6 hrs at 200-210. Dry rub 'em and they come out great every time.

I recently did my 2nd cook using Chris Lilly's 4 stage rib process (wet) from his book. Total cook time is ~4hrs. all I can say is WOW. This is a fool proof way to get some great ribs in a very short time. This may be my favorite method, fast and super.

I agree with the others that the bottom line is simply "did YOU like them?" They certainly looked perfect, but if they really fell off the bone when you were cutting them apart, then I would agree they went too long. But I can assure you that your mistake is far better than what you will find in most resturants!

Its probably time for a warning...the more you learn to use your grill the less you will appreciate dining out. The list of things that are just never as good when ordered in a restaurant keeps getting longer. It starts with steaks and BBQ, then its downhill from there.

Now, what I need to know is how on Earth your grill still looks brand new inside after all these rib cooks?!? :eek:

Now, what I need to know is how on Earth your grill still looks brand new inside after all these rib cooks?!? :eek:

Well, I've only done 2 rib cooks and about 6 alltogether. (Have I even put beef on the grill yet?) Unfortunately I'm unable to fire the Komodo up everynight as my job takes most of my waking hours even when I am working local. Weekends are my only solace.

Here's the gist about the light color inside: I have not added any wood chunks to the fire yet. Two of my 'taste-testers' don't like the smoky flavor too much. (Previously I've ruined some cooks on my charcoal Weber by allowing the chunks to catch on fire.) I've been using Wicked Good Charcoal which I must say is....wicked good, but doesn't have a lot of smoke too it.

I'm finding that 'low & slow' is a completely different animal than grilling, but I don't need to tell that to the folks here. I've been humbled by the Komodo, my learning curve, and the excellent posts/cooks by folks in this community.

My experience so far is this:

Charcoal Weber = Geo Metro

Komodo = 12 cylinder Shelby (Or would it be a big ol' Peterbilt?)

I'm just trying to keep it out of the ditch! ;)

Charcoal Weber = Geo Metro

Komodo = 12 cylinder Shelby (Or would it be a big ol' Peterbilt?)

That about sums it up ;) I was humbled last weekend, too. I was staying with friends in MIssouri for a few days and they requested that I grill up some football party vittles. I had forgotten how much err...fun, it was to grill on a weber kettle :D

I had forgotten how much err...fun' date=' it was to grill on a weber kettle :D[/quote']

Err, it may be playing in a jug band, but a Weber can do some wonderful things. I had a French cooking teacher who'd interview restaurant applicants by making them fry an egg. Do that well, and they get a chance at the fancy stuff. Same with a Weber. Many of us were forced to master it when we were poor!

(Waiting for a flight home to my KK.)