Syzygies

K7 to KK transition advice for Syzygies?

Hi. We're ready to jump, replacing our K7 with a KK. We don't need help convincing us to do so; you already have. We're just hoping for a quick cut-to-the-chase from our friends here, before we order.

KK-GenII-ALlclsd.jpg

Is 23" new inventory, e.g. the coming boatload pictured above, the flagship product which we want? (I'm guessing that this is an easy question.)

Our K7 has an upper grill, main grill, crossbars to hold a lower heat deflector. I installed a guru port. The packages look very complete; do I need to special order anything to get equivalent functionality? (I'm adaptable, and will enjoy differences as long as I can do what I did before.)

What's the subjective space comparison, working in a GenII KK vs a K7? About the same?

I've drilled and filled holes over the years for various probes. Does running e.g. guru probes over the gasket ruin the tighter fit I expect, moving to a KK? Are there other ways to probe the KK without drilling new holes?

Do I want the "gas option" for lighting fires? I alternate now between various methods (electric starter, fusion experiments with large quantities of alcohol, perching a propane torch near the coals and walking away to do other things). I'm feeling less judgmental than before about a "gas option", perhaps it's the way to go?

I've hit 1000 F more than once by accident in my K7, and it didn't like it. Cooking steak 20 seconds at 900 F is an experiment only worth trying once; we generally cook at 600 F or less. Nevertheless, is there a maximum "stay below this temperature, or all bets are off?"

Re: K7 to KK transition advice for Syzygies?

Hi. We're ready to jump' date=' replacing our K7 with a KK. We don't need help convincing us to do so; you already have. We're just hoping for a quick cut-to-the-chase from our friends here, before we order. [/quote']

I've been looking forward to receiving the Syzygies SOA (stamp of approval)

KK-GenII-ALlclsd.jpg

Is 23" new inventory' date=' e.g. the coming boatload pictured above, the flagship product which we want? (I'm guessing that this is an easy question.) [/quote']

My flagship Gen 2.2 is the only KK built these days for ready stock.

Our K7 has an upper grill' date=' main grill, crossbars to hold a lower heat deflector. I installed a guru port. The packages look very complete; do I need to special order anything to get equivalent functionality? (I'm adaptable, and will enjoy differences as long as I can do what I did before.)[/quote']

The Gen II's come with three 304 SS 3/8" grills, Upper/Sear combo, main and lower. The SS charcoal basket has tall handles that are used to hold/support the heat deflector.

What's the subjective space comparison' date=' working in a GenII KK vs a K7? About the same?[/quote'] In actual real estate pretty much the same, but stand in front of both and you will agree that the OTB shape appears/feels larger.. ergonomically. Guests in the factory would always think that the OTB was larger than the early round KK's.

I've drilled and filled holes over the years for various probes. Does running e.g. guru probes over the gasket ruin the tighter fit I expect' date=' moving to a KK? Are there other ways to probe the KK without drilling new holes? [/quote']

All KK"s come with a SS probe sleeve/tube that sits just above the main grill level on the right. As well as the Guru/Stoker faceplate that makes using these controls plug and play. No drilling/futzing necessary.

I've hit 1000 F more than once by accident in my K7' date=' and it didn't like it. Cooking steak 20 seconds at 900 F is an experiment only worth trying once; we generally cook at 600 F or less. Nevertheless, is there a maximum "stay below this temperature, or all bets are off?" [/quote']

The refractory hot-face is rated for 2,200ºf, there are expansion joints cut to encourage/steer high temp expansion in these joints. Short spikes into these temps are not a problem.. extended periods will not be good for the material used as the tile adhesive/insulation/grout..

Re: K7 to KK transition advice for Syzygies?

Our K7 has an upper grill' date=' main grill, crossbars to hold a lower heat deflector. I installed a guru port. The packages look very complete; do I need to special order anything to get equivalent functionality?[/quote']

The base KK package has everything you need. There is no need to order anything else.

I've drilled and filled holes over the years for various probes. Does running e.g. guru probes over the gasket ruin the tighter fit I expect' date=' moving to a KK? Are there other ways to probe the KK without drilling new holes?[/quote']

The KK already has a probe hole so there is no need to drill your own or run anyhing over the gasket.

Yes, the current boatload represents the latest tweaks.

The KK comes complete. You will have 3 grates, The upper/sear (reversible), the main grate, and the lower grate. You will get a heat deflector and a stainless drip pan, too. Also included are a stainless rotis bracket, and the rods that fit into the sealed bearings on the KK. Should you desire a rotis, you just need to order a basket/motor from EZ Que.

I didnt have a K7 but I suspect the size will be similar; I am sure others will chime in.

The KK comes with a stainless guru port already installed, and filled with refractory. If you have a power draft, you just knock out the plug and are ready to go.

No need to run wires over gaskets, or drill holes. The KK has a 5/8 inch stainless tube through the side of the grill, at grate level to accommodate probe wires. You will get a silicone plug to fill the hole, and the plug even has a small hole in the center so you can run a probe wire through it while installed. The 5/8 inch hole doesn't affect airflow even when open, but the plug is just one of Dennis's little details.

The gas option is a tough call...I have the gas, and used it exactly once to start a fire. In contrast I used the gas to start my K5 every time. The difference for me is that the KK comes with a real burner...that is, a heavy cast iron burner. The K5 came with a shop built thing that was like a bunch of Bic lighters when in use. The K5 gas burner was small and high off the floor of the grill. The KK gas is big, and low in the base, about an inch or two off the floor. The KK burner, if left in place after igniting lump, will fill with ash, and need to be removed and the ash dumped out before next use. That's just too much inconvenience for me. I find it much easier to start the grill with a small propane torch. There are a few threads around here that show how people have made brackets to hang them on the side of the grill so you dont have to hold them while igniting the lump. The KK burner would be useful if you actually wanted to cook on gas fuel, but not too practical for ignition, IMHO.

As for the temp limit...I have had mine run away before, and it survived. The refractory material is rated at something ridiculous, like 2000* for the inside layer. Of course, I generally sear steaks at about 600 dome, and on the lower grill that is plenty hot enough. These are made of real refractory blends - not concrete and lava rock.

You will feel like you are trading in a Sanford and Son pickup for a brand new BMW when you see a KK up close.

It's too bad you had to pony up the cash for a new unit, but you won't be sorry about this purchase! Dennis is still a young guy( couple months older than me) so he has no urgency to make a quick buck, comes from good stock, as we all know, and is honest to a fault! And this forum greatly benefits from your expertise! As we all know these cookers revolutionize the way we Grill/BBQ/Smoke. Here's a pre-welcome to the KK family, and more than a few of us recognize you from more than one other bbq forum! I know I always look forward to your input. I'm sure Dennis will respond to your call at least as fast as he has called us all back! Good BBQ to you!

It's too bad you had to pony up the cash for a new unit' date=' but you won't be sorry about this purchase![/quote']

Actually, we didn't have to, we decided it was time.

6009_125273424975_588449975_3191311_4485451_n.jpg

Above is our K7. You can make out the cracks, but it hasn't broken into pieces yet. We do fear that it could in prime barbecue season (Jan-Dec) but that's not why we're jumping. Note the custom textured surface replacing our original K7 tiles, and the masking tape for a better draft door low & slow seal. Laurie brought up that I do this on every low & slow. Is this a first? My wife is selling me on making the purchase!

For the past year, as I watch the cracks on my K7, we've been wondering, "What if Dennis gets bored with making KKs, and moves on?" There might never be another cooker made this well. (Although there undoubtedly will be: He'll keep doing this, and like computers they'll get better.)

We've got the money, we decided to spring for it.

I am a previous POSK owner, the owner of an early OTB and now the latest Gen II OTB. My parents also had a classic and they too upgraded to an OTB. My point being I've had lots of experience with "ceramic" cookers.

I can say without a doubt that KomodoKamado is light years better than the POSK. The current version is much more refined than the early OTB's and a joy to work with. Too many things to list but suffice it to say you are buying at a perfect time. Enjoy!

Joe

BTW you REALLY need a new cooker :)

Had a great call with Dennis, sent off the payment, cooker will arrive in a few days:

KK-GenII-592.jpg

KK-Gen MBM-92

Nice guesses, we thought about all of those. We're partial to matte finish, we like the way this harmonizes with our yard.

Had a last cook on the old K, tandoor chicken. Now I wonder if there's a neat way to do it with skewers like the Indians do, so no grill contact?

I want to dig a square out of our asphalt and pour a flat concrete surface. It would be a shame to have KK tolerances, and still have the stock pool on one end of the paella pan, right?

Anyhow, looking forward! Laurie is bouncing off the ceiling (I put her on with Dennis), anyone out there with Wife-Acceptance-Factor issues should just call her...

Oh yeah, and I'd say that there's zero risk of Dennis getting bored with this and moving on. He sounded rather engaged with the whole enterprise. As one blessed/cursed with a decent case of OCD, I felt like I was talking with a kindred spirit!

here I have a visual for you of the 23" main grill vs a #7 main grill.

Thanks.

Part of the reason realtor fees are so high in New York City is that to measure the square feet of a building, you need a bevy of window washers to hold the measuring tape around the outside. Knowing this, I went out in the dark with a headlamp to measure my K7 main grill.

21.5" (not 22.5") !! :roll: I'll leave it to others to have fun with this.

I actually went out twice. This is the outer diameter of the round grill circle. If you measure the longest straight grill rod, maybe you can eek out 21.8", and that's being generous.

I have a paella pan now that's a tight fit with the handles sawed off, there's a chance I'll need to go down a size. Other than that, they look the same. My plan, to switch to the new cooker and keep cooking, looks good.