tlemmen

Extruded Coconut?

Still have some of the original stuff from RJ however was looking for a good alternative. Noone in the Atlanta Area was interested in a group order from Dennis. Looks like a good one for TheNakedWhiz to check out. I put my address in and it cost $11.00 to ship the 7lb box, total of about $25.00 so its not going to be cheap. Good find though.

Between Dennis and an earlier supplier, I have thirty boxes. And I'll buy all I can, next offer. I recommend thinking big, next time the extruded coconut is available.

(Notice I didn't get pilloried, from people buying the "inferior" batch after my review. The stuff is decent. People here clearly miss it.)

I only use the extruded for low and slow cooks, beef jerky, or an occasional chicken when i want a cleaner/lighter flavor. I bought 15 boxes or so from Dennis' batch, and I still have a dozen left.

Hoarding it for special occasions :D

Honestly, for everyday cooks it takes too long to get up to temp, and it doesnt last nearly as long when cooking at higher temps, either. Lump is just more convenient unless i have a need for the extruded.

I get much more than 2 cooks per box. I'm not sure if its the difference between RJ and Dennis product, but I probably get 4 to 6 cooks per box, depending on what it is.

I take out the unburned stuff after each cook, when i switch back over to lump, though.

...or maybe its just that Dennis loaded an accurate weight in each package :P

I take out the unburned stuff after each cook' date=' when i switch back over to lump.[/quote']

Yep, the KK is much tighter than my old K7, using less fuel as it goes and stops the fire on a dime.

I have exactly Firemonkey's pattern, alternating between coconut and hardwood lump. I've ordered a second charcoal basket to facilitate swaps with less handling and breakage. Figure it'll pay for itself.

Well I'm talking a 17-20 hour cook now, and I don't bother with taking the old stuff out unless its not burnt at all. This is the original "good" stuff. The best that has ever been produced by anyone. (The stuff Dennis is trying so hard to get a supplier to replicate). I'm bummed I only have two boxes left, may never see this quality again. Hopefully Dennis will eventually get a supplier to do it right. Then I need some Georgians to come together to get a big shipment.