TraderRick

Ash Tool

I gave up on the bag that you could attach to the draft door frame. I just bought a small shop vac and use it to suck up all the ashes through the top. Much cleaner than trying to scoop it out the door, especially if there is a breeze and it's humid!

The good news is that you ony have to empty the ash a handful of times a year, even with heavy use

I just bought a small shop vac and use it to suck up all the ashes through the top.

Been there, works really well if this is your primary use of the shop vac. I found that it eventually clogs the vac filter.

On our old K7 I just scooped with a yogurt container. Doesn't matter if you don't get the last 10%, there will be more ash. To soon to develop a pattern for our new KK.

One note of advice that I would offer to KK owners that have the gas burner support rod installed in the base - Leave that rod in place at all times! Unless you feel like chipping out pieces of ash material, mixed with some grease, etc. out of those holes that the rod sets in, leave it in! JMHO YMMV...

I got a filter designed for small particles. I think it was marketed as a drywall dust filter. It's a satin cover that goes over the standard foam filter. I was like $5 at lowes. If you are using the vac routine, it's a must-have!

Without the satin filter cover, it would definitely be a royal mess. With the filter, the foam filter stays clean - along with the discharge air.

My problem was with wind, and humidity. See, its pretty hot and humid around these parts. So my arms and legs would end up looking like I was an aboriginal by the time i was done. The KK has much lower clearance than my K5 did, so the only thing I had that would fit under the KK was the lid to my lump-storing trash can.

It only took the slightest of breeze to to carry the ash as it fell down (and then it would be in my sunroom, or all over the windows if I closed them). The best you could hope for was an absolutely still day, and then the puff as a pile formed would still get all over your legs and arms.

I lobbied for Dennis to build a simple frame that you could wrap a bag around, and then insert it into the draft door slide so that the ash would remain fully contained. He said he was working on it, but I dont know what ever became of that project?

I lobbied for Dennis to build a simple frame that you could wrap a bag around' date=' and then insert it into the draft door slide so that the ash would remain fully contained.[/quote']

That's a great idea, although peculiar to your circumstances. Hardware stores sell light sheets of metal, you could fold one?

Though you've sold me. The drywall dust filter over the shop vac sounds like the easy way out. And even though I know it's idiotic to clean it all the way, it sure is satisfying! OCD behavior is productive enough to be in our gene pool, but it doesn't always lead to rational behavior!

I don't actually understand why anyone would use any vacuum without a bag. Bagless vacuums are a scam unless there is a cyclone somewhere inline. All you end up doing is substituting a cheap and easily replaced bag with a difficult to clean and expensive to replace filter. Shop Vac sells bags including one for fine particles (drywall dust) and when it is clogged up from sucking up a bunch of ash you just toss the bag, attach another and go on your merry way.

I 'll have to go peruse their current selection and see if there is a bag model.

The bags and filters coexist without issue. Just think of the bag as a disposable pre filter that keeps the majority of the junk out of your expensive filter. The other benefit is that replacing the bag basically returns the vacuum to it's original suction level.

In my area Home Depot sells standard Shop Vac bags while Lowes sells the standard and high filtration (drywall dust) bags.