TraderRick

To foil or not to foil, that is the question

For my second cook I did dry rubbed loin back ribs and a fatty stuffed with garlic, onion and chedar cheese. I cooked the ribs for 4 hours at 250, they were good but compared to foiled ribs it took a little more effort to separate the meat from the bone.

So please chime in, when cooking ribs, loin or spares on the KK do you use a foil step? What are your cooking times and temps.

Here's some pics of the cook 8)

4043355068_f5f1a90005.jpg

4043357538_4f7c06bae1.jpg

TR - Thanks for the pics! The two items featured look tasty!

Up front - I don't foil. Although the recent readings I have done in this forum regarding the Brisket has me thinking that I might try...

For your ribs, (JMHO mind you) they're not done yet. Don't let the clock tell you when your ribs are done, let the ribs tell you. Your pic doesn't show the meat pulling back from the rib bones very much. My ribs are typically done when the meat pulls back from the bone anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8". I also pull a bone out of the rib to see if it comes out clean. If I have met these two items (plus some feel that I have developed over time) then my ribs are ready! Keep it up and keep up the pics!!!

We tried both ways, and thought that foiling made for mushier ribs.

There's a style of rib-making where one spends as little as possible on the meat, then makes a special sauce that makes the best of the situation. In this case, a foiling step is said to help the sauce penetrate.

I will foil after the ribs come off, e.g. to then transport to a party, wrapped in towels in a cooler.

I wonder why you couldn't just remove the heat deflector to crank up the heat after the rib cook to crisp up the ribs? I have never foiled baby backs, and most of the time they are fall off the bone. For me it usually takes from 3.5 to 4 hours at 250/300, I usually do 9 or 10 at a time,and the ones on the outside are done a bit before the rest. No problem, I just move a couple racks around on the rib rack( I don't have Dennis's yet,someday!) to finish them off. The whole idea of the KK, or any ceramic type cooker is to take advantage of the low airflow,keeping the moisture in the product. I've not used foil before, so I can't say it's not a great idea, I'm just saying I have achieved a level of Q'ing that I'm really satisfied with, brisket included, I may try foil once just to try it. If you guys want to try something that is a whole lot easier try a chuck roll, very forgiving, and it stays moist longer! You don't get the dissolve in your mouth texture profile as from the point cut of a brisket, but it sure is satisfying!

Foil or no Foil

In Chris's book he has a 4hr recipie that includes a foil stage, they are excellent. I have never foiled for 100% of the cook.

I usually do w/o foil, just dry rub using a rib rack to hold them on edge. 250-270 for 4.5hrs results in the meat having to be gently pulled from the bones, not really any effort at all, but it is not falling off the bone. I use a deflector and drip pan always. Try another 30min on your cook time.

In defense of my "firming" method

When I foil I use the gasser to firm out of convenience; transfer foil packet to gasser, unwrap, leave on a couple minutes per side vs. remove foil packets, remove grate, remove deflector, grate back on, waiting for temp to come up, putting ribs back on. I typically firm about 5 minutes per side.

My personal preference is no foil, meat off the bone with a gentle tug. Unfortunately, many of our guests think rib perfection is fall off the bone. Don't quite get it but if that's what they want foiling is an easy way to achieve it and become a "Rib God" in their eyes.

I also prefer my ribs dry, the fall off the bone crowd seem to frown on no sauce too.

My KK is too new and I have not yet done ribs on it. My 3rd and 4th cooks on my KK are going to take place this weekend.

However, I have had great results with BBQ ribs pre-KK by cooking them on indirect heat low and slow for about 4 hours until they are done, as described above. After taking them off the grill, I wrap each 1/2 slab in foil and put all of them in a brown paper bag to rest for an hour. (Don't ask why it has to be a brown paper bag--the recipe was specific about this.)

When you are ready to serve, unwrap the ribs. They will still be hot. Only then put on BBQ sauce as a condiment if desired. I have had uniformly excellent results doing this many times. The texture of the ribs after resting in foil for an hour after cooking is fabulous. Try it!

Keytickler