pmpapi6

slow roasting

You took it off 12-15 hours early. For a low and slow the KK can run over 24 hours. Get a remote temp probe from Wally World. Stick the probe in meat inside the cooker and monitor meat temp outside the cooker on the readout unit (20-25 Dollars).

Search low and slow here on the site. You are looking for around 185 internal meat temp. Less temp for slicing and more temp for pulled.

Hang in there you'll do great. Take a look at all the cooking advise on site.

I think the only thing wrong is pulling it out too soon. 6 hours in the world of BBQ is fast food, I usually let my loins go overnight (hmmm, that could be taken out of context...) and because of their shape they cook faster than a more round shoulder would. I'd recommend cooking by internal temperature while you get used to the way the KK cooks. Some prefer to cook by texture (when it falls apart with a fork or a touch method for steak, for example), but I wouldn't recommend cooking by time. For pulled pork try for 195-205F internal temperatures.

pork butt tips

You will find you can cook a pork butt at any temperature between 225 to 350. It is super forgiving. As has been said, it is done when it reaches the correct internal temperature; I have had good results with a finish temp anywhere between 180 to 200 plus. Most often I pull them off at 185. So, you need a proper thermometer. There are many thermometer posts and threads here, find 'em!

Ditto, 12 hours for me at 225 or until internal temp hits 180-190, indirect with a drip pan, dwell time anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours wrapped in foil& towel or in an insulated cooler, or I just tear right into it depending on if the bone wiggles or comes out easily, or we're just too hungry to resist and we burn our fingers! I bet the next cook is gonna turn out better...we've all been there!

It will go faster than you think. But then there are all the good eats you must do something with.

Welcome to the KK life. It's rough sitting around sniffing the smell from that new cooker. (It can go on for 18-20 hours or more.)

Takes a lot of effort to not pop that lid, but a couple of cool ones on the side should settle you right down.

You will find your habits changing. No, longer will the wife prepare the meat and bring it out to you at the grill. That will no longer be tolerated as to you will not let anyone else prepare and apply your special rubs etc.

The initial shock will be hard on the little lady, so go easy. Be nice and let her wash your tongs when you have finished. She just might carry you a few beverages. (and a fine cigar)

Yes... it's going to get rough.. handle handle handle it. If not may be the wife can do that to.