LarryR

Covering your KK

I'm curious about the percentage of owners who cover their KK when not in use or, when do you cover it. Where I live no snow, ice or freezing temps but I do have a lot of sun and temps can reach the high 90's to low 100's July - September. Average precipitation is just over 10" a year.

Based on my situation would one recommend the Sunbrella cover.

Thanks for your input.

I cover mine, but it has been known to snow up here in MA from time to time. In any snowy climate I like not having to clean it off to figure out where the damper is. In a rainy climate I'd rather have an extra layer of dryness just in case I leave something open. In a hot and dry climate I don't know that I'd bother, but cleaning bird droppings off the KK isn't any fun either...

Part of the reason I bought a KK is to show off its beauty. Considering there have been ceramic cookers that have lasted 10 years without being covered that do not have an elastomeric adhesive I don't think there are many issues regarding compromising the integrity of the cooker however if it makes it easier to get the snow or other debris off that would be a good reason to have one. In Ga we get a lot of rain but not much snow so I would never cover mine. The way I see it is its a personal preference however its not a necessity (in my opinion) in any climate.

• Like 1

Re: Covering your KK

Based on my situation would one recommend the Sunbrella cover.

Thanks for your input.

Just as you would not park a quality automobile or motorcycle outside, a Komodo's build quality deserves being covered. When you see one in person you will agree.

If only to protect it from UV which will eventually fade pretty much anything including the tiles. The insulation used as the adhesive and grout is UV resistant..

I dont cover either of mine, and dont look forward to the day that I have to start covering them. I live near Orlando, and they are outside 24/7 uncovered in the Florida sun. So Larry, I have UV and a healthy dose of storms and rain to go with it in the summer!

The older KK (Summer 2007) absolutely should be covered. The UV makes short work of the grout sealant that used to be on it, and if you are not diligent in resealing, it absorbs rain like a sponge. The dome of mine will get so heavy after a day of rain that the lid wont even open on its own. And yes the grout has faded to a lighter shade of black, but the tile is fine.

The newer KK, with the wonder-grout hasnt had any issues at all with moisture or UV after a year. The tile surface does get very warm to the touch when in the hot sun, but I dont find it a problem. The grill with the wonder-grout does have a few places where the grout cracked open (looks like shrinkage), but they are not in any areas that see direct sun (actually near the bottom on the shady side) so its not caused by UV.

I hate to have to disagree with Dennis in his own house, but I am with Tony. The KK is an attractive addition to your living space. A cover, not so much so - (sorry JB - yours look as nice as a cover can look ;) ). I just prefer the "natural look better. Personally, if I am home the KK sees regular use, and dealing with a cover seems like an inconvenience (where to put it while the grill is used, remembering to put it back on when the grill cools, dealing with bugs nesting under the cover, etc). It might be a good idea to keep them covered during the week when I am gone, but for now, they are sporting their birthday suits.

FM I just found this....

You know I won't let you get away that easy. Ha!

Firemonkey wrote "The KK is an attractive addition to your living space. A cover, not so much so - (sorry JB - yours look as nice as a cover can look )."

You know what I'm singing about now???? Pants on the ground, Pants on the ground, don't be a fool with your pants on the ground.... Pants on the ground.....

HaHa!!! ROFLMAO Just couldn't pass that up FM. :lol:

# 1 reason for covering Baby

Since I have no picture just look at Larry's and T-Rex's Marine Blue and you can in your mind picture my Marine Blue Cover!! Way to go Johnnyboy--real quality workmanship. I find one big advantage in covering--keeps some of my dumbas--d friends from monkeying around with my baby. If for no other reason for the cover this is tops on my list.

While awaiting the arrival of my KK, I had an awning installed over the area of the deck where the KK would stand. I also ordered one of those excellent covers. Both were made with the exact same Sunbrella colour cloth.

If I am going away for a week or two, I'll cover up the KK. But she is under the shade of the Sunbrella awning, and I really like to see that beautiful thing out there.

Maybe I'll research a uv blocking wax for the tiles.

In California, we use the cover for rainy season, and leave it off for the dry half of the year, including summer. Otherwise I'd get tennis elbow taking it on and off, and we like looking at the KK.

Rain carries messy particles (look at your car) and a partial load of charcoal stays dry enough to use again, this way. Even closed up tight, I feel the damp has a better chance to get inside without a cover, and that I don't want.

If only to protect it from UV which will eventually fade pretty much anything including the tiles. The insulation used as the adhesive and grout is UV resistant..

Dennis, I'm assuming you're using glazed tiles on the KK? They shouldn't fade. Dye-sub tiles will fade, and pressed tiles and other forms that aren't fired might fade, but kiln-fired glazed tiles shouldn't really fade. Is it your experience that they do fade, or just going by the "most things fade in the sun" rule?