mguerra

Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2

Re: TMI- Charcoal

Generally lump charcoal is wood that is heated in an oxygen free environment to remove most of the volatiles. The remaining material is charcoal.

If you burn wood (heat it) is off-gasses.. creating flame.. when that flame burns out, that's charcoal less the nasty tasting part.. but still full of the nice flavor. Put it out at this point and you have great charcoal.

---

Done my home work for the Komodo Charcoal that's in the works..

;);)

I came up with the idea of a smoke pot after small-scale experiments making charcoal. Enclose wood in an airtight chamber with a few holes at the bottom, set this chamber over a small fire, and soon the escaping gases will burn and sustain the fire long enough to complete the process of making charcoal.

A smoke pot borrows this idea for adding smoke flavor to a cook. It is a two quart cast iron dutch oven, filled with smoking wood, with three 1/8" holes on the bottom. One hole would do if it doesn't get blocked. Seal on the lid with flour paste, made quickly in a zip lock baggy with a snipped corner. Others have experimented with a "smoke bomb": a stainless steel tubes and caps, to avoid the flour paste step, which becomes routine with practice. (In parts of the world with poorly fitting pots, it is considered routine, e.g. making couscous.)

Set the smoke pot on a low & slow fire, and one makes charcoal in s l o w m o t i o n. Laurie and I discovered that we vastly prefer the smoke flavor from a smoke pot, to that of a few wood chunks scattered in the open. This is a subdued trace effect from two quarts of smoking wood, rather than the full on effect of a couple of chunks. As such, it's chef's choice, like cooking with sherry versus whisky, and is best debated after trying both ways. (That's me being a mathematician, we don't accept "I can't imagine" as a form of argument, and we would be very embarrassed to ever make such an admission. Most of the world views "I can't imagine" as a perfectly acceptable utterance.)

To relate this to the charcoal discussion, there are taste differences to how a fire burns. Just as an automobile engine can belch nasties if tuned poorly, or pass California smog if tuned properly, our fires can taste different, depending on how they are managed.

How one burns smoking wood for flavor is one place I notice this. The other is the charcoal itself. There are many techniques for charcoal handling, and a low charcoal fire can taste dirty. One can get by, but this is part of why many of us are so excited that Dennis is making charcoal. The style of charcoal he's aiming to produce is absolutely the best for low & slow Komodo cooks.

Re: Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2 Belated photo: And it was a PAIN to attach it! I selected the photo in iPhoto, clicked share, clicked email, addressed it to myself, clicked picture size,clicked medium, sent the photo to myself, opened the email program, opened the mail to myself, dragged the resized photo back in to iPhoto, restarted the computer, because if you don't, the "upload attachment" tool doesn't see the newly added photo, reopened safari, opened KK forum, looked for this forum, clicked "post reply", clicked upload attachment, picked the photo, clicked "choose", and finally got the f...ing picture in my post!!!!!! Holy hell can't one of you smart guys make it easier?!?! Like I said in the other thread, we should just be able to select the file, click "choose", and boom, it's resized automatically and added to our post. Two clicks. Sheesh. n66902

post-6676-139082395242_thumb.jpg

Re: Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2

On a less frustrating and less obscene note, we are trying something a little different this afternoon. I'm smoking a rack of baby backs with an unusual rub. Adams Reserve Jamaican Jerk. In a few hours, I'll give a report on jerk ribs. Uh, no photos.

Keeping it simple...

Here is a MUCH simpler way..

This is all instant if safari, mail and iphoto is open.

Selected the photo in iPhoto,

click email, choose medium

image appears in Email

drag image to desktop or folder

click "upload attachment" in KK forum,

click upload attachment, clicked "choose File",

click the photo, and presto your picture in the post..

;);)

Re: Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2 Oh, the ribs. First off I got some "enhanced with a 12% solution of some BS" ribs which is a mistake. Normally I get the regular. But combine that enhanced juice with jerk seasoning and you get some mighty hammy ribs. I believe this has been mentioned before. Even so, I think jerk seasoning on non enhanced ribs just isn't going to taste right. We will stick with brown sugar based rubs henceforth. Or other proven rib rubs. Let's see how easy it is to add a photo: n66903

post-6676-139082395247_thumb.jpg

Ya'll are gonna get Curly mad by posting pics of his woman! :twisted:

Also, for the absolute best Jerked anything, use Walkerswood Jerk seasoning......I have tried none better (including my own). Get the original and FYI, it is not wimpy....so be careful how much you use as it builds quick.

http://www.walkerswood.com/product_trad ... soning.php

-=J

Looks good, we will try some of their product!

On a separate note, have ya'll seen the new Maverick ET-732? It is supposed to address some of the shortcomings of the ET-73. It has very high temp probes, a MUCH longer transmission range, external transmit button (instead of that one behind the closed door!) and external antennas, no more rigging your own! I ordered one and will report.

Check this:

Also, for the absolute best Jerked anything, use Walkerswood Jerk seasoning......I have tried none better (including my own). Get the original and FYI, it is not wimpy....so be careful how much you use as it builds quick.

-=J

Yeah, the walkerswood paste in the jar is awesome! They sell it locally up there? I brought some home from somewhere a couple of times, but I've been out for a while.

-=J

Yeah, the walkerswood paste in the jar is awesome! They sell it locally up there? I brought some home from somewhere a couple of times, but I've been out for a while.

It is kind of spotty where and when you find it. I think last time I found it was at Kroger. Before that, the Fresh Market carried it for a while. But I love the stuff. I believe amzon.com also has it.

-=J

I used the new Maverick ET732 last night, it is a very nice upgrade to the 73. The on off switches are external so no need to take the little door off the back like before. The BIG plus is the transmission range! It is so far superior to the old unit you won't believe it. A big improvement.

I have made numerous posts before recommending the Oregon Scientific AW-131, which has only one probe, because of its superior, reliable transmission range. The new Maverick nearly obviates that recommendation since you get two probes, one for the meat and one for the fire. For grilling you only need one probe to measure the meat, no need to monitor the fire, but low and slows are better monitored with two probes. Of course if you have a Guru or a Stoker you can just go out and check the meat and the fire at the cooker, or look on your computer. But if you want a remote receiver on your person, this new Maverick is great.

I used the new Maverick ET732 last night' date=' it is a very nice upgrade to the 73. The on off switches are external so no need to take the little door off the back like before. The BIG plus is the transmission range! It is so far superior to the old unit you won't believe it. A big improvement.[/quote']

I tried mine for the first time this week too and also thought it was much superior to the old 73 model. I can see using it alot for everyday cooks to monitor the KK coming up to temp while I'm in the house prepping considering my kitchen is a long way from my KK. Did you try the pit probe holder that came with it? I didn't know what it was until after I already had set up the probe in the grill with an alligator clip. The two hole design looks like it would support the probe better than anything I have now so I'm looking forward to trying it. Hope the new probes can handle the heat as advertised. The only thing I didn't like was dealing with those small screws to put the batteries in.

Susan