mguerra

Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2

Re: Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2

Here's a source for the beans if you don't have one:

http://www.ranchogordo.com/mm5/merchant ... ode=SANB01

I know Steve Sando from when he (and we) came regularly to the SF Ferry building farmers market. He's the real deal, and his beans are the best available. It makes a difference.

Pretty much any bean from the Xoxoc project is an almost vanished Mexican heirloom variety that he's rescued, with much more character than a bean variety one already knows.

To fill out his flat fee shipping, load up on extras. Calling in for advice couldn't hurt, they don't list everything. But his Piloncillo: Evaporated Cane Juice is the best sugar I've ever tasted (imagine it in a rub!), and they have this dried cactus candy that's incredibly addictive. Etc., Etc.

Hot fast pork butt.

Last night I cooked a couple of ribeyes and then decided to throw a pork butt on the fire. After having a grilling fire going, there is no way to ever get it down and stabilized at 225. So I just figured I'll crack the vents to the tiniest opening possible and cook the pork butt at whatever temp that gets me. Turns out that temp was about 315 degrees. The 5 lb pork butt cooked in about 5 hours to 190 internal and I pulled it off the fire, foiled, wrapped in towels, and went to bed. At lunch today I am going to pull it and see how it came out...

It's old school here in Kerrville.

I go home for lunch. Kinda like Mayberry. It's a 14 minute drive down a Texas Farm Road. I sit out on the back porch, look out across the Texas Hill Country, with the pack of Coonhounds, eat lunch and listen to Rush.

No Aunt Bea, though.

The pork butt came out indistinguishable from a 225 cook. Unlike the hot fast brisket, there was no foil involved, and it did not come out juicier. Of course we don't get dried out pork butts on a low and slow anyway. And I was not specifically trying to do a hot fast. I just cooked a pork butt with a leftover grilling fire that could only get down to 315 degrees. And it turned out fine!

If you are in a hurry, or just curious to see how it comes out, cook one at 300 degrees.

I did the roadside chicken yesterday. Marinaded for about 6 hours' date=' then cooked with no basting and only turned once. I wish I had tried this sooner! It's yummy, if you haven't tried it, give it a go.[/quote']

I had to search for the recipe. Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2891

Doc, did you grill indirect or direct? and at what temp?

I was trying to get a rise out of the forum members with that goofy cook of fish sticks paired with wine. I thought it was hilarious! Plus that whole husband home alone in his underwear imagery.

Slu, I cooked direct at 350, on the top (main) grill. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, my go to chicken parts. I'm with Alton Brown on the whole concept of basting, I don't do it. It can't penetrate the meat, and you have to keep opening the cooking vessel, letting out heat and moisture and prolonging the cook. Which, paradoxically, can DRY the meat out! So, for any meat that needs a flip, I flip once.

Got a "braai" going. Remember danioro posted about it? I have three links of duck boudin blanc going on a coffee wood smoke. It's from some humane pork and duck raised near Austin, TX. Mouth is watering in anticipation...

We are going to eat a little of it straight, and put some in a jambalaya.

Maybe get a pic later..

Well fellow  K kers, here I am standing out on the back porch grilling. It's a gray, overcast day, the mist is drifting through the treetops. I have a beautiful 1997 Bordeaux in one hand, and a beautiful coonhound in the other! The cool, damp wind is wafting the aroma of Mesquite through my nostrils. The dreamy sounds of Steve Winwood and Traffic are drifting through the air. As my old friend Russell always says, it's the simple things in life. As Steve Winwood gives way to Chet Atkins, the fillets are about come off the grill. It is a sweet evening in Kerrville Texas!

Well fellow  K kers' date=' here I am standing out on the back porch grilling. It's a gray, overcast day, the mist is drifting through the treetops. I have a beautiful 1997 Bordeaux in one hand, and a beautiful coonhound in the other! The cool, damp wind is wafting the aroma of Mesquite through my nostrils. The dreamy sounds of Steve Winwood and Traffic are drifting through the air. As my old friend Russell always says, it's the simple things in life. As Steve Winwood gives way to Chet Atkins, the fillets are about come off the grill. It is a sweet evening in Kerrville Texas![/quote']

That works here in Bali too..

;);)

Well fellow  K kers' date=' here I am standing out on the back porch grilling. It's a gray, overcast day, the mist is drifting through the treetops. I have a beautiful 1997 Bordeaux in one hand, and a beautiful coonhound in the other! The cool, damp wind is wafting the aroma of Mesquite through my nostrils. The dreamy sounds of Steve Winwood and Traffic are drifting through the air. As my old friend Russell always says, it's the simple things in life. As Steve Winwood gives way to Chet Atkins, the fillets are about come off the grill. It is a sweet evening in Kerrville Texas![/quote']

Not only Bali, but New Zealand too ...

Good video. I think I will run by the butcher shop and grab a chuck roll. The butcher was basically blind from some horrific cataracts which I took out just before Christmas. He is so freaking ecstatic he may comp me the beef!