Just had a great pizza experience last night for the second time. Since I noticed other people may have a hard time with this, my setup below.

First, filled the bowl with a central portion of regular kingsford (just to get the fire started), with the periphery filled with lump charcoal. Threw in some large wood chunks around the outside for that slightly smoky flavor that my family seems to like so much. Then, I light the central charcoal with a torch, and wait for the rest to catch, with both lower vents completely open and pulled out from the body of the cooker, and the upper vent completely open as well. Then I put in all the grill surfaces (the bottom two), then adding the elevated grill component that puts the pizza up into the dome. I did NOT use the heat deflector. I believe in this application that the deflector just takes too much time to heat up. On top of that, the pizza stone. It took about 30 minutes to get the grill up to 500 degrees. Throughout the cook, my temp hovered around 500 to 550.

The 3 pizzas were already made up on tin foil. Then put each one ( with the tin foil underneath) right on the pizza stone with a pizza peel so that it slides right off onto the stone. Be careful not to miss! Each pizza took about 7 to 10 minutes to cook. I like to cook mine until the cheese on top is starting to brown. The tin foil made it easy to get the pizzas both onto and off of the pizza stone. It worked flawlessly. I have also used parchment paper, but I worried about that catching on fire. I would recommend the tin foil method to anyone.

Results : each pizza was truly some of the best I have had. The underneath crust was perfect. Browned on the bottom, and the crust crisp. I should mention these were thin-crust pizzas, which is what my family prefers. They tasted great, the smoky flavor was there but not overpowering, and in general, better than the pizzas I paid a pretty penny for in a fancy restaurant the night before!

Hope this helps anyone out there who had trepidation about making pizza on the KK - it's really easy!

Pizza setup

For toppings, one we really liked was canadian bacon, onion, green olives sliced, and mushrooms, mozarella. Awesome.

Then we did a meat lover - you know, hamburger, pepperoni, bell pepper, onion, mozzarella. That was great as well.

As for sauce, we just bought some canned sauce that was pretty good, can't remember the name - think my wife bought it at target, cams in a green can. Really good!