Syzygies

Easter lamb shoulder

15005_403846604975_588449975_5012394_3499393_n.jpg

15005_403846614975_588449975_5012396_4157988_n.jpg

15005_403846609975_588449975_5012395_5635789_n.jpg

So we made an experiment with lamb shoulder yesterday. Marinate in a garlic, olive oil paste, with rosemary and lemon peel from the garden. Cook 6 hours over apple smoke at 230 F or so.

By the time it should have come off, we were many bottles of wine into a neighbor's party, which turned into dinner, so we brought it over as another meat course. Well received, but I had been hoping for a cross between pulled pork and braised lamb shanks. I never foil, but I'm thinking foil the last several hours, next time. Perhaps even make a wine reduction to add at that point.

Not much left, though there were five dogs in attendance and I love dogs. Made a quick hash for lunch with red onions, yellow potatoes, parsley, half-dehydrated garden tomatoes from our chest freezer, Aleppo pepper, salt, pepper and an ample splash of white wine. Better than I remember from last night, the wine helped to moisten the meat.

Any advice? Is it possible to make slow-cooked lamb shoulder of the gods in a KK, or do I have the wrong animal?

Roast lamb shoulder is a specialty of a region of Spain, served in cazuelas, but roasted at a higher temperature:

Ribera del Duero is famous for its slow cooked roast lamb; Asador in Aranda

Any updates on your first pass on SC Lamb?

Hi Syzgies,

Lived in Palo Alto in 2000 until our company went out of biz. Back in NH now and missing it.

Just ordered a KK and planning on a slow cook lamb BBQ for several in 2 weeks. Any refinements to your original post? 6 hours @ 230? Did you marinate it in wine and your classic Italian spices? Does Spain do differently?

Wonder why there is no lamb subsection under recipes?

Thanks in advance.

J

[email protected]

Any updates on your first pass on SC Lamb?

Hi Syzgies,

Lived in Palo Alto in 2000 until our company went out of biz. Back in NH now and missing it.

Just ordered a KK and planning on a slow cook lamb BBQ for several in 2 weeks. Any refinements to your original post? 6 hours @ 230? Did you marinate it in wine and your classic Italian spices? Does Spain do differently?

Wonder why there is no lamb subsection under recipes?

Thanks in advance.

J

[email protected]

Haven't tried again. I would have liked the meat to be falling off the bone tender, it was very tasty but tougher than that. Perhaps (I can't believe I'm saying this) a foil stage?

I do like the idea of the KK as a charcoal oven, as much of the world uses, rather than a specific instrument for classic American BBQ and the occasional pizza. So I'll keep up the experiments with any meat one would roast indoors, to see what happens.