joebyk

slow cook startup procedure?

Tried my first slow kook ribs yesterday but was not successful in getting the temp down from 350+/-. Think I let the startup mode go too long and the KK walls just did not want to Kquit. Turned the valves down to next to zero but still too hot.

Do you recommend a very low flame to start so the KK does not overheat?

Any other suggestions? I am an experienced Kook but am working through the temp regulation process.

Thanks in advance.

J

I start a tiny amount of coals well before I'm going to cook (easily an hour prior to cooking). Be sure the lit coals are on the top of the unlit coals. Don't light coals and then pile on unburned coals. Open the vents to where you think you'll obtain your target temperature. For 250 maybe a dime/nickel width at the bottom and the top open 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. This is for my cooker though, yours may be different. Also be sure your lid is fully latched and wait for the temp to come up. If after 45 mins or so its too low adjust accordingly.

As others have said once you overshoot you lost the battle. You can't expect to get 250f in 10 minutes and then hold at that temp. You'll overshoot for sure

Low & Slow

If you get to hot even ato 350* you just have to shut the top & bottom

totally and it will come down slowly, then at your desired temperature open top no more than 1/5 of a turn and lower grate just a little. Then you can adjust with fine adjustments.