DennisLinkletter

Forum help on NEW OTB Upper grill design

Ok guys.. I need your input here.. I've always shipped out 18" round upper grills. They work just fine but would have more visual UMPH if they were the OTB shape..

Here is a shot of a plywood template sitting on a round upper grill.

grill2.jpg

Do you guys think this size is too large? Just right?

Grill.jpg

I'm considering making it smaller and then it can be used down below for a sear grill also.. dual use..

Thanks in advance for sharing your wealth of experience :lol::lol:

I would agree with Tony there... it looks just a little too big. What kind of "legs" does it have. How far above the main grill does it sit? Kinda hard to tell from the photo... I'm thinking in terms of stacking foods... head deflector, meat on main grill, meat on upper grill...

I do use my upper grill alot... almost exclusively, usually with a drip pan/heat deflector under it. It's tall enough to do the pork roasts over brisket... barely.

agreed - higher is better

A little extra room under it would be more functional. That way, you could maneuver the stuff on the lower grill a bit if necessary.

Here is an idea...without having one on hand to see the actual heights I am talking about. Maybe upper grill becomes the size of the lower grill, and the legs are long enough that you could use it inverted as a lower grill with your main grate sitting on top of the legs, at the opening height.

Maybe eliminate the additional accessory that raised the main grip up to be flush with the mouth? They might be nice handles too, for lifting out a rack of meat from down inside the grill?

Hey Firemonkey, that was kinda simular to what I already had planned when I got my grill in. I was going to build a detactable riser to place on the lower grill to make it an upper grill too. That way, it could stay on the lower mount like normal and the upper grill stay where it is. Then when you needed it, just pop out the riser and move the lower grill on top.

-=Jasen=-

Great.. Thanks...

Great.. Thanks guys.. Is this instant customer feedback great or what?

I was unhappy using a round upper grill.. Just not sexy enough in the OTB. The utility was there but sometimes just life calls for more than utility :wink:

So I asked them to make a template for the jig and when I saw it I said... Whoa Nelly! That's way too big and they said but it's 18" and I said.. I don't care how big it is, it's too big and I knew it was time to bring the forum into use and take this to vote. So of course.. I'll be dancing the victory jig later :wink:

Ok round two.. I'm going to put longer legs on it and handles on top.. I'm going to make it small enough to stand on the firebox at lower grill level or be able to set it handle side down to use in down low and hot to sear..

Does that get votes, cheers and high fives? :lol:

ladder legs

Dennis...the other day I saw an inexpensive grill with interesting feature. The legs were ladder legs (notched) that could be set at different heights.

In the grill I saw it was a lower grill and I wasn't sure if it was meant to hold charcoal or lump to be raised closer to the main grill. The ladder leg feature just caught my attention. Don't know if that helps or not

Re: ladder legs

If this is making the crossover to function as a sear grill too' date=' will it be 3/8?[/quote']

Not standard but as an option

Are you going to make the legs collapsable?

Yes, collapsable...

Dennis...the other day I saw an inexpensive grill with interesting feature. The legs were ladder legs (notched) that could be set at different heights.

Do you remember where you saw it? Or where I could track down a photo of it?

Thanks again all for the help.. :wink:

Height question

This thread made me wonder about the height question again, since I just saw a pic of a #7 RJ-K, It is definitely taller in the dome - much pointier than the OTB.

I know there was some discussion of this previously, but what is the height from the standard grill height to the dome top on a KK? I understand the math behind usable space and area, so we dont need to cover that. How much vertical area is there above the main grill and how tall are you thinking of for the upper grill (i.e. half the height?)

Followup Q for Dennis: Do you see KK continuing the production of both styles, is the OTB design becoming popular enough that you will consolidate production into one shape?