jnoble

How do people clean out their ashes

I'm a neat freak.  I clean my ashes out of The Beast (a KK BB 32") about every week.  I cook on The Beast 5-6 days a week, so between the regular lump that I burn on everything but my Low-n-slow cooks, I get a fair amount of ash.  

I, like most, used to use an ash tool and finish with my shop vac with drywall filter.  I was at my local hardware store when I saw the following ...

post-1831-0-53907600-1415209077_thumb.jp

That little which broom/dust pan combo gets about 95% of the ash out quite easily.  Then I just dump the ash in a galvanized bucket and let it accumulate.  My neighbors want to ashes, so about once a month I tell 'em to send the kids over to get the ashes.  

I do a monthly run around on The Beast, making certain that all is ship shape.  That's when I use the shop vac to really do a deep clean.

With the 32 it's really easy to just slide a box under the front draft door.. no need to do all that strenuous scooping.. lol

I generally push the ash under the firebox and pack it down.. it' amazing how long you can go just packing it again and again.

I think the high humidity here helps too.. unless it obstructs airflow I just procrastinate as long as possible..

• Like 1

<... unless it obstructs airflow I just procrastinate as long as possible..>

This!

But when it is time to remove the ashes I just use a large metal gardeners trowel and get most of the ash.  Then my Festool vac gets the rest (cold KK/coals of course ;-))