ThreeDJ16

Fire Wire Skewers

Yep. I have some...used them once or twice, but damn if i can remember what i cooked with them. I can tell you that they hold a HUGE amount of food compared to a regular metal or bamboo skewer. They worked well, especially curling them around to keep all the food over the firebowl of the KK.

I seem to recall that they might have been a little TOO long. Ill have to go check the camera - its probably one of those cooks that I took pictures of but never posted.

I do recall that the solid part, what you would consider the "needle" is sort of big. Its probably 1/8th inch wide, and its a rounded tip. So it will work fine on bigger chunks of meat, but you can forget smaller items like shrimp or mushroom caps (they will break since its not sharp).

I got them on Amazon with free shipping - not a bad deal but not used as much as I had thought i would.

Hmmmmm... so the big complaint that I am reading on the Fire-Wire is that the probe we use to pierce the meat hangs out of the grill so it can be handled after the cook. I take it you guys are just giving it a quick wipe with an anti-bacterial wipe so as to kill any bacteria that might grow during the cooking process? The assumption made by the critics is that when you slide the meat off of the wire, it passes through this bacteria farm and all your goodies are now tainted... Thoughts?

Hmmmmm... so the big complaint that I am reading on the Fire-Wire is that the probe we use to pierce the meat hangs out of the grill so it can be handled after the cook. I take it you guys are just giving it a quick wipe with an anti-bacterial wipe so as to kill any bacteria that might grow during the cooking process? The assumption made by the critics is that when you slide the meat off of the wire' date=' it passes through this bacteria farm and all your goodies are now tainted... Thoughts?[/quote']

For what it's worth:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Over time will the Fire-Wire have negative effects on your KK?

Hmmmmm... so the big complaint that I am reading on the Fire-Wire is that the probe we use to pierce the meat hangs out of the grill so it can be handled after the cook. I take it you guys are just giving it a quick wipe with an anti-bacterial wipe so as to kill any bacteria that might grow during the cooking process? The assumption made by the critics is that when you slide the meat off of the wire' date=' it passes through this bacteria farm and all your goodies are now tainted... Thoughts?[/quote']

I'm thinking that I would probably leave the ends inside anyway, and that will kill the nasties. I think the flexibility is advantage enough, I can use pliers or gloves to do the turn.

Yep. I leave the whole thing in the grill. The kk is just too tight to crush the wires in the lip. I flip them with tongs. One end is a loop, and the other is the metal "tip". The stainless braid is a little thicker than a maverick probe wire.

Like Fetz said, the flexibility and amount of food on each one is the biggest benefit.

If I remember correctly cooks illustrated didn't care for them in their review. If that matters....

Thier main complaints were several. First, turning the skewer ended up just spinning the meat and required the use of two hands to flip the skewer (imagine trying to flip a piece of string). They also complained that the "stay cool handle" is the only way to take meat on and off. Trouble is the tip doesn't get hot enough to kill bacteria so you run the risk of contaminating your food when you remove it.

I've never used them though so can't give my personal opinion but I have never been let down by CI.