ThreeDJ16

Da Brewery!

Re: Da Brewery!

No' date=' it is not a still [/quote']

And the tiles will never fall off my pink grill, either!

Hehe, yeah, yeah. It is very close, but notice my cooling coils go to the bottom of the boil vessel. On a still they would go to the top and it would be sealed off. :wink:

So, wanna buy a fifth of firewater - Firemonkey? hehe 8)

-=Jasen=-

The real fun was building it. I love to build things (every single piece of the brewery was hand built by me - from the site glasses to the grain mill). I will post pics of some of my other projects - gas forge & wine press. The problem is I have such a limited space for these projects. I need to start selling some of them off. I would actually love to sell the brewery so I can build another - hehe - vicious cycle I know.

-=Jasen=-

1 hour ago, ThreeDJ16 said:

since the old pics were lost, I'm guessing during a forum upgrade.

Yep, happened a few upgrades ago. It was just too much hassle to re-link them all. 

Sorry to hear that you sold your brew stand. I'm surprised that you didn't try to upgrade it with a nice March pump so you wouldn't have to lift heavy kettles of wort. 

21 hours ago, tony b said:

Yep, happened a few upgrades ago. It was just too much hassle to re-link them all. 

Sorry to hear that you sold your brew stand. I'm surprised that you didn't try to upgrade it with a nice March pump so you wouldn't have to lift heavy kettles of wort. 

It was actually a little more than just a transfer pump needed (as I had one).  The brewery had to be moved in and out of my storage area and the fermenters needed to be moved up a set of stairs to get into the house. 

To be honest, I can't even think of the last time I had a beer.  So hobbies change, evolve or get taken away...so is life.

Edited by ThreeDJ16

Completely forgot about the wine press I made (which was sold along with the homebrew setup).  Naturally, like the brewery pics, these are very old.  Added adjustable legs, casters and an outlet drain valve after these pics.  But this was really a fun project since it involved both metal and woodworking.  Made with white oak slats mounted to two sets of metal straps so they could be bent in and removed in two sections to allow cleaning.  Also a SS plate in the bottom with over 200 holes for the press plate to mash fruits against.  Used an old keg which made it easy to contain the setup.

It did get many years of use making different fruit wines and juice for cyser meads.

Press1.jpg

Press2.jpg

Nice press. Has cider making all over it! 

When I retired a few years back, I brought in my contractor to build me a brewing room in my basement, so I don't have to haul anything up/down stairs anymore to brew or clean. As I get older, I'll probably buy a scissor lift of some sort so I don't have to lift carboys of wort anymore. Even though I've shifted to all plastic because of the weight of the glass ones, they can still get a bit heavy when full. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Nice press. Has cider making all over it! 

When I retired a few years back, I brought in my contractor to build me a brewing room in my basement, so I don't have to haul anything up/down stairs anymore to brew or clean. As I get older, I'll probably buy a scissor lift of some sort so I don't have to lift carboys of wort anymore. Even though I've shifted to all plastic because of the weight of the glass ones, they can still get a bit heavy when full. 

Cyser is somewhat like a hard cider.  It's a fruit based mead (each one has its own name, but I cannot remember all that...LOL).  I made an apple version and a few others.  Also made watermelon wine, muscadine wine and several other fruit wines.  Wasn't much point of making grape wine since good wine was much easier to buy. 

Sort of another reason I quit homebrewing.  Don't get me wrong, absolutely loved doing it and smell of fresh wort brewing with hops in the air was awesome.  But I started in the late 80s and did it for many, many years.  Back then, my state and it's closest neighbor to me didn't allow any beer above 6% which completely kept all the great microbrews out of these states.  Once the laws changed and good beer flowed freely again since before prohibition, the need didn't exist anymore.  Also there just wasn't space to setup anywhere except the existing location.  The brewery had 3- 130k btu propane burners, so nothing indoors was an option, even if I did have the space.

Kept it for many years thinking maybe one day we would move and I'd have a garage or larger shop where it could be rolled in an out, but we decided to stay in our existing home after all the surgeries.  Since I rarely drink anymore and we weren't moving, last year I made the hard choice it to sell off most of my creations (which I built most from scratch or scrap, down to the sight glasses and grain mill) for someone else to enjoy.  It was made to last generations, so I'd like to think it will get passed on to someone else and live on.

:smt022

Understand - life changes things. I've been brewing off/on since it became legal back in '79. Been brewing steadily for the last 12 years. Same story here in Iowa, took a long time for some of the good beers to start showing up in our market and it took some legislation to make it happen as well. But, as I like to tell folks, I like to brew "the weird shit!" Tomorrow I'm pouring my Matcha Green Tea Double IPA at our "happy hour" at a local brewery. My beer club's annual Festival is in 3 weeks and my 2 beers for that are a Red Rye IPA and a Hoppy Wheat, both made with Zappa hops (a new strain, named after Frank), so both beers are named after Mothers of Invention albums - Chunga's Revenge and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tony b said:

:smt022

Understand - life changes things. I've been brewing off/on since it became legal back in '79. Been brewing steadily for the last 12 years. Same story here in Iowa, took a long time for some of the good beers to start showing up in our market and it took some legislation to make it happen as well. But, as I like to tell folks, I like to brew "the weird shit!" Tomorrow I'm pouring my Matcha Green Tea Double IPA at our "happy hour" at a local brewery. My beer club's annual Festival is in 3 weeks and my 2 beers for that are a Red Rye IPA and a Hoppy Wheat, both made with Zappa hops (a new strain, named after Frank), so both beers are named after Mothers of Invention albums - Chunga's Revenge and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. 

HAHA...I did some off the wall brews myself.  Once I did an IPA with grape juice and called it Grape Ape Ale.  I enjoyed it. 

One thing that is very much missed is the enjoyment of having a brew party.  We would put something on the smoker and just make a day of brewing.  Especially since all grain took the better part of a day anyway.  

I really enjoy hanging out with the folks in our club. 

Craziest beer that I've run across was made by a guy in our club - Mountain Dew Ale. All the liquid used in making this beer was Mountain Dew! He poured it at one of our Festivals. Before we knew it, the line was 20 people deep! Crazy what folks go for sometimes!