slu

Shipment Update?

Re: Shipment Update?

Dennis' date=' what's the latest on the stranded container of ECC? Is it still in Kobe?[/quote']

That was a container of cookers not ECC.. I have 5 tons of EEC sitting in the factory that I wanted to ship early summer but NYK was overbooked and would not give permission for all semi-hazardious shipments..

There has been so many price increases recently that I can can't send 20 foot containers any more.. and the surcharge for semi-hazardious materials is to much to only send 5 tons..

The guy who was making it for us finally threw his arms up and quit because his shell suppliers could not give him consistent quality.. If the material he started with varied from 4-15% he could not make me 3-4% ash..

The stuff I have is 5-6% which is good but not what I want.

I'm convinced the only way to do it is to buy the poorly carbonized shells and reheat them to guarantee the low ash content..

Re: Shipment Update?

The stuff I have is 5-6% which is good but not what I want.

There's an effect making things such as furniture, where one is agonizingly aware of every imperfection, but does one's best. Then, over the lifetime of the object, no one ever notices again, including the maker.

As a reviewer of your first batch of charcoal, I have to say that I indiscriminately use the remainder of my original hoard of "reference" extruded coconut lump, and your first shipment of extruded coconut lump. The boxes are all a bit hard to reach, and I grab whichever box I can, then don't give it another thought.

The flavor difference is all I care about, for low & slow cooks I much prefer any extruded coconut lump over any hardwood lump charcoal. Ash is secondary, I live with it. For 24 hour or less cooks, it really hasn't been a problem.

So of course, if the shipping imposes a significant premium, it's worth preparing the best product that you can. But if I ran out, I'd pay what you asked for the best charcoal you could make at the time, and not agonize over it. People who don't have my hoard of extruded coconut lump may feel this way right now.

I agree Syz, I use the extruded lump for low and slows strictly because of the long burn time. I expect after an 18 hour cook that I will have to clean out ash. As long as the extended cook time is there I am not so concerned with the ash content. Too bad about the shipping issues though. I'm running low on extruded.

Dennis: I am in agreement with the other owners. I don't have any coconut charcoal at all, and i want some! We all are beneficiaries of your perfectionism. Yet, in the case of the extruded charcoal, we want whatever your best is under the circumstances. We know that whatever you put your name on will be the highest quality that you can produce. It will also be probably the best anywhere available. Anyway, the difference between 4% and 6% ash is very insignificant. If you ship, then I will buy.

I will throw my hat in here too. When I use the extruded, ash is my least concern. Its the long consistent burn, and the almost blank canvas it provides as far as smoke. I use it when I want to do something special with specific flavors.

I can burn well over 100 pounds of lump before I have to clean out ash. That equates to several FULL baskets of KK Extruded before i even have to think about cleaning it out. I just push the ashes up around the edges in the back and sides when the mound in the middle is too big.

I would like to see a RELIABLE, readily available source for the extruded coconut. I think your previous batch was very good quality, and would be damn happy to have that exact blend available whenever I wanted some more. I would even accept a little more ash, if it brought the price down some too.

I like the charcoal - but dont like having to hoard, stockpile, and ration its use!