U2PLT

OTB as a bread oven?!?

Re: OTB as a bread oven?!?

I've found that when baking bread and pastry, a heat deflector provides a much more even bake. I suggest you heat sink the KK for at least an hour prior to baking. Pizza is a quick bake, and it can tolerate the direct heat. Bread is another matter. If you are using an enameled cast iron pot as pictured above on top the stone, then you are probably OK. However, a naked loaf, or one inside a thin metal loaf pan, and you are likely to burn the dough.

Re: OTB as a bread oven?!?

I depends on what your using for a baking stone. I've used thin, store bought pizza stones and with those you definitely need a deflector between them and the fire. I've also used Dennis' thick stone on the upper grate, with no delflector, and had no issue. Both were baking a free form sourdough boulle.

The deflector cannot hurt when baking, so if you have one you might as well use it for insurance. I like to use mine on the lower grate, directly under the baking stone which is on the top rack (sear grill inverted). This way it protects against direct heat, but doesn't shape the heat flow out around the edges as much as when it's on the basket handles.