mguerra

Air Combat USA

Check out aircombatusa.com

I went and flew with them Sunday doing their "Fighter Lead In" program. What a gas!!! In six dogfights I lost three and won three, but that's not really the point. It's just fun to pull four or five G's, fly inverted, roll, loop, spin and just get the airplane ANY way other than straight and level. If you are a pilot, you will love it, and if not, they will fly you so you don't have to be a pilot. If you are an adrenaline junkie who loves getting totally jacked up and on the edge, on a motorcycle, or a roller coaster, or base jumping, or in any extreme sport, this is for you. You hear people use the term " the most fun you can have with your clothes on" This is absolutely it. I have never been motion sick in my life, this got me to feel just a tinge of quease. Best anniversary present I could ever get, next to the hotel later that night!

Re: Air Combat USA

My sneaky wife got me the package at our school auction and we went to Orlando and did that in early December. It was a lot of fun and I, too, broke even on "kills". They told me that only about 5% of people who fly with them are pilots. I have a little recording accelerometer that I took with me. Here's the trace from one of the fights:

encounter4.png[/attachment:339hdaet]

post-6591-139082392472_thumb.png

I am a pilot with a little over 11000 hrs but have never done real aircombat. I did spend 14 years flying pipeline patrol at 200 feet yanking and banking a Cessna 182 and the last 7 years flying a Corporate Jet aircraft. I also spent many hours flying online aircombat games. Sounds like a hoot, maybe one day I will have to give that a try!

I only have a couple hundred hours but did do some aerobatics in gliders. I haven't flown recently, though. One thing they told my opponent is that sometimes pilots do worse than non-pilots because most pilots are taught to avoid unusual attitudes while unusual attitude is almost all they do at Air Combat.

They seemed quite professional and take safety seriously. Something like 40,000+ "missions" without an accident.

Their whole schedule was pushed back by heavy morning fog so we landed at sunset. Here's a pic:

sunsetflight.jpg[/attachment:1014z28q]

post-6591-139082392482_thumb.jpg