rorkin

Has anyone tried a salt crusted prime rib ??

Re: Has anyone tried a salt crusted prime rib ??

I tried a whole roasted chicken cooked in a mound of salt when I was at BBQ U this past spring in Colorado Springs, great flavor, but wayyyy salty. I really wanted to like this and I don't mind a little salt(country ham) but that was over the top too much. I have been told by a customer that they tried a New York strip roast encrusted with salt and it was the best roast they have ever had. This is hear say and was probably influenced by several cocktails, as well as the crowd being predominantly British.

Baking fish in salt is a common Italian technique, and it doesn't come out too salty. A recent favorite book of mine is over-the-top precise on how to do this; worth an experiment for crossover applications like the question here. The book is worth the price just for the swordfish recipe, which I can't stop making (Pesce Spada alla Ghiotta - Swordfish "Glutton's Style" with tomato, capers, and olives). I highly recommend this book, and you'll notice it made lots of holiday lists. I have many books discussing this method, but these are the most precise directives that I have seen:

My Calabria: Rustic Family Cooking from Italy's Undiscovered South [Hardcover] Rosetta Costantino (Author), Janet Fletcher (Author), Shelley Lindgren (Contributor)

Branzino Sotto Sale

Whole Salt-Baked Sea Bass

3 pounds (1 1/2 kilograms) Diamond Crystal kosher salt

4 large egg whites

The thick salt coat seals the fish during cooking so none of its juices can escape. Mixed with egg whites and water, the salt forms a hard crust in the oven, which you will need a mallet or hammer to crack.

For this recipe, please use only Diamond Crystal kosher salt. Morton kosher salt, another popular supermarket brand, is made by a different process, so the crystals have a different shape and are less absorbent.

In a large bowl, combine the salt with the egg whites and 1 cup (250 ml) water. Mix with your hands until the salt feels like wet sand.

People on this site I found seem to give it rave reviews.. ONly mention of salt is that you cant use the drippings because of salt. I suspect when properly done.. The crust simply holds in moisture and does not overly salt the meat.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/rock-salt- ... etail.aspx

Just do it then!

Is "I suspect when properly done.." your reaction to those with dislike opinions? because speaking for myself I think I did it properly.

speaking for myself I think I did it properly.

By which you mean that you executed a procedure as well as anyone could, yet in this instance you were unhappy with the results (too salty). I believe that your execution skills are beyond reproach; I have one of your covers!

This calls into question the procedure. How did it differ from the over-the-top procedure that I quoted? Same brand of salt? Same ratio of egg whites, water? If there were differences, then the details of the procedure might matter; that's what we're all trying to figure out.

We all hit walls in cooking, where we can't possibly believe that apparently minor differences in technique matter. Most don't, but then there's the occasional epiphany that some do.

Dang it. Hate it when this happens. I stand corrected!!! I guess I didn't do a salted prime like I thought. I'm just discussing it with the Wife as I couldn't remember any eggs!! She said we've never done a salted prime! ouch!! and she always helps me, in fact for the most part has taken over all the seasoning. Said she'd never do that to me because she knows I don't like salt. All I can think of is it must have been a rub we did. Again, it was a long time ago. I can remember slicing/peeling the outer layer of meet off because it was like eating salt lick.

Please accept my apology.