The Pup

[EDIT] Content removed per request

Re: New Ultimate Contender?

Wow, very nice and would look nice next to my stainless Weber grill ;) ........ looks like something Dennis would

make. :)

If I didn't like my Komodo so much I would take a serious look at this unit. Any idea what these are retailing for?

T Rex

Not a contender for the Ultimate but for the first time there is another insulated ceramic on the market but took them 7 and a half years to follow KK's lead.

I have to say it looks like they did a good job with the grill. While I'm impressed with the investment cast lower draft door, that rear hinge assembly is aesthetically horrendous.

But this spun stainless shell has been done before by Viking with their C4. The PJ seems to be just a bit larger and insulated C4. I imagine it will get the same complaint the C4 got in that people expect it to beep and whistle like R2D2 when you open the lid.

PJ's Claimed Performance:

- A 400°F (204.4°C) inner temperature only yields an exterior temperature of 140°F (60°C)."

I can assure you that's not the temp taken at the top vent.. so I'm pleased to know that Komodo is still clearly has the best performance in the Kamado world..

;);););)

Here are the details for comparison from the Naked Whiz website.

This Komodo Kamado Supreme Textrued OTB was built mid-2006.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews ... ado/kk.htm

Inside this review of the 23" OTB model, he measured the surface temps on the dome of the KK vs. a large Egg.

Quote:

At 400 degrees, the temperature of the dome on the Egg varied from 180 degrees at the lower edge of the dome to 245 degrees at the top of the dome near the upper vent.

The Komodo Kamado varied from 110 degrees at the base of the dome to 160 degrees at the top near the upper vent.

I'd like to see more but all in all I think they did a pretty good job..

I have no intention of buying anything but KK. The one thing I would like is a different top vent. Something that offers finer airflow control and is EASY to keep clean and tar free. But that seems to a problem only I have, tarring up the top vent. And I have figured out ways to deal with it. This stainless thing is pretty cool looking, albeit that rear spring/ hinge assembly is awful like Dennis said. But for now, all I want is that stainless KK Portable!!!

I have no intention of buying anything but KK.

Thanks Doc.. Love the way you think.. ;);)

The one thing I would like is a different top vent. Something that offers finer airflow control and is EASY to keep clean and tar free. But that seems to a problem only I have' date=' tarring up the top vent. [/quote']

I have a new KK 101 way I explain airflow and heat control that can probably solve some of your mesquite tar build up problems..

I'm posting the readers digest version here (extended version here)

Airflow creates heat and lump charcoal will readily soar to high temps if given unregulated airflow.

There are two ways to regulate your KK's airflow..

Strangle the intake using the lower draft door airflow dial or

suppress/stifle the exhaust using the damper top.

Keeping it simple..

Control from low to 400-450º using the lower airflow wheel/dial leaving the top open and not restricting the airflow..

To control from 400-450º up, close the lower airflow wheel/dial, pull the lower door open a few inches giving unlimited airflow. Now control your high temps from only the damper top.

Doc, using this technique for low and slows should take care of your tar build up..

Hi mguerra I agree with you on the cooker, KK or nothing. I have been thinking of using the primo chimney top instead of the KK, it will not look as nice but I can live with that for a couple of hours . But my reason is very different than yours. I've set out to keep my KK factory fresh and clean. When I smoke something, the smoke discolors the stainless band and bronze tiles which I then need to clean after the cook. It took me an hour and a half to clean my KK after doing a roti chicken yesterday. The Primo top keeps the smoke going straight up and away from my KK AND It's covered so I don't have to worry about rain too. I will try it tomorrow and will let you know how it went.

That stainless steel unit looks like it belongs in a sterile operating room! Even if it were to cook as well as a KK (I know that's presumptuous), it has no aesthetic. As for the current damper on the KK, I find it to be quite sensitive, and can fine-tune the temperature with just the slightest of adjustment.

Frans,do you clean the KK after every cook? I have found, and several others as well, that a product called Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does wonders. That Primo top kinda alters the beauty of the KK doesn't it? Depending on what kind of tile you have you can pre-empt a lot of grease build up by using car wax on the tiles. I do this on my terra-blue and the terra-cotta unit that I have been using nearly non-stop for a few years. The cleanup is less than 20 minutes, and I don't clean it after every session, it also doesn't have a cover( the terra-blue unit at home does). This also keeps the tile and grout sealed.

Hi Primeats,I will look for that product thanks for the tip. Yes I do clean it after every use to prevent build up of soot, grease. I also takeout the fire basket and blow it with an air compressor and reload with charcoal when needed. I will try the carwax tip. Yes the primo top alters it a lot not to be left there on a permanent bases in fact it looks ugly. Thank you.Frans

Move Thread?

Hi All -

Just a couple of notes after reading this thread - I get that we want to keep abreast of new equipment coming into the marketplace - especially those that have to deal with ceramic cooking. Good enough but lets place this information where it belongs - in this case "The Ceramic World Online & Other Relevant Links" would have been a better fit. Also, I don't think we need a page of information (read advertising!) for another product on our forum - the link will suffice.

Please know that I don't want to discourage any posts. I just like to see the posts where they belong and not be accidentally misconstrued as blatant troll advertising. That's actually how I took this post at first glance.

Dennis - you are a class act. Many forum owners would have discouraged this post. You not only kept it but had some positives to say about the product - Nice!

OK, I am off my soapbox except to say that this thing looks closer to a stainless steel over-sized hand grenade than it does to a ceramic (or any) smoker! (JMHO, YMMV) :twisted::lol:8)