primeats

Tru Tel Options**

Re: Tru Tel Options**

Dennis' date=' that's very useful information. Let me ask this: for a person who would bake pizza once a week, what would be the maximum temperature at which you would fire the pizza without doing damage to the KK? I didn't acquire a KK to bake pizza; it's a happy coincidence that it does such a fine job with it. However, since I plan on being buried in it, I want the KK to last a long time!![/quote']

Honestly I have no idea.. A KK has never been reported to have damage from repetitive high temp cooking. I have a couple year old KK here in Bali and will be getting a spanking new Metallic Bronze for Sai soon.. Maybe I'll run this older one at 1,000º for hours and see if anything happens.. I can aways send it back to Java for repairs..

Re: Tru Tel Options**

Syzygies' date=' did you take the Neapolitan class and if so did you try any on the KK?[/quote']

Cooking with Rosetta

Tartine Bread

Yes, we took several classes including the pizza class. Several revelations for me:

[1] I was being too muscular in my approach to kneading dough, more suitable to making pasta from freshly ground flour, than to bread or pizza. Roughly, the air pockets formed by the yeast are intended to expand primarily from steam. If one is too brutal with the dough one gloms them shut, defeating their purpose. This lesson was reinforced by my recent experiments making sourdough bread, inspired by the techniques in the Tartine Bread book for working with really wet doughs one can't traditionally knead. One never "punches down" but rather folds the wet dough over itself, with wet fingers, in a covered bulk rise bowl. Any volume lost, ever, is from the handling, and one attempts to minimize this. Rosetta, similarly, is very gentle with her dough at all steps.

[2] Rosetta measured 650 F at the actual cooking surface in many different pizza ovens in Italy, using an infrared shooter thermometer. (She is trained as an engineer, and asking people to tell you what temperature they believe they're using is not a scientific approach.) A wood-fired pizza oven is fundamentally different from the KK, and one cannot slavishly copy a temperature one has heard "real" pizza ovens use, with the same effect.

[3] To use this temperature, she leaves out any foreign substances in her dough that could burn. Milk, oil, sugar, anything like that. Her dough is flour, salt, yeast, water. At 650 F it fairly explodes from internal steam as it cooks. Great on the KK. I felt like I wasn't really making pizza before.