GrillDoc

Lighting Looftlighter

Re: Lighting Looftlighter

A charcoal chimney can get a raging fire going in 5 minutes. However, if you start it with paper, you do get a lot of paper ash flying everywhere. Normally I fill it only 2/3 full for the fastest start. Sometimes I'll fill the chimney halfway, hit that with a MAPP torch for 30 or 40 seconds, then add some more charcoal on top of the lit stuff. Eliminates the flying ash.

If you try the Looft, let us know how it works. The Amazon reviews seemed pretty positive. And it's cool looking.

I'll have to second the concern of lighting the KK with an electric device. The cord would be a bit of a pain to deal with each time I wanted to light the KK. JMHO...

I fill the basket with fresh regular lump and light with my MAPP torch. Works great every time! Also, the extruded lump is stubborn to light even with a MAPP. If I have a basket full of extruded, I mingle some fresh regular lump in with the extruded to get it all going more quickly.

If you want to try an electric device, run out to the local flea market or garage sale. Inevitably someone always has one for sale... cheap! 8)

Torch wins on multiple points:

Torch is wireless, and just as fast to light the fire. Torch costs much less that this thing, and if you are using propane the torch is cheap to operate too.

A cool device, for sure. I just think i small torch is more practical.

Yep. When I got the KK to replace my old Imperial I bought one of these. I had always used simply newspaper in the Imperial but though I needed something more impressive when I moved into the KK aristocracy. It works pretty well, either from above or through the removed door. It takes two or three minute to get it started a bit and then have to wait another few till I have a full fire. To be honest I have returned to simply putting four or five pieces of newspaper in the basket but sometimes use the Looftligher. I have a plug right by the KK so this is no problem for me. I have a knee replacement and back problems so putting the Looflighter in the bottom is a pain (literally) for me. I do sometimes also use the looflighter when I don't get a good start with the newspaper or just to goose the temperature a little. A nice, but probably, superfluous device. I guess a Guru or similar would solve some of these problems but I am still a bit old school except for the Looftlighter.

I'm still a huge fan of a cheapo hair drier.

I'm still a huge fan of a cheapo hair drier.. Especially if you are futzing with a low volume of burning charcoal like when doing beef jerky.. great way to stimulate a slow cook or to quickly crank it up..

Try it once and you will be hardwiring the area where your KK is..

I did not have power in the backyard so I tapped into my wall light then ran a thick extension cord thru PVC to a tree next to my grill..

NOTE: This is not a recommendation for a less than code installation in the US..

Just my third world solution

I bought two of these, one for a friend from "Bunnings" the major HW chain store in Australia and they were about $30ea.

Works great for lighting and speeding up the process on both charcoal or wood.

Clean and safe and I have a plug right near by

Also very impressive and has a cool Euro name!

I might be tempted to try this product but one of the Amazon reviews references having to continually hold the switch in the "on" position when in operation. That is turning me off because I have small hands and generally dislike the child proof features of lighters because either it puts my hand in an awkward position or I have to use two hands. The review referred to it as a "deadman's switch". Can somebody tell me how this switch operates and whether it would be difficult for a person with small hands?

Susan

It is sometimes a bit aggravating that the switch has to be held down continuously but I don't think small hands would be an issue. It only takes a bit over two minutes. The other option would be to have a simple off and on switch, but the air coming out the end is very hot and it would be pretty dangerous. At the point where the switch is it is about the diameter of a flashlight using D cells. It takes very little pressure to keep it on.

the Looflighter is perfectly good.

However I use a long pole, weed burner when grilling. Similar concept to the Looflighter, actually, since you are pushing hot air over the coals. Touching the flame over the coals gets it started, but even when the flame is several inches away, the hot rushing air does a great job of accelerating the burn.

For low n slow, I use the minion method, which means using the chimney. And for lighting the chimney, I use TrueCue match starters. Anyone else use these? A small pyramid shape of wax and sawdust. and a match tip at the end. you strike it on the box, the tip flares up and you just rest it under the chimney. Super cheap and no petroleum smells.

I use a weed burner too and really love it. But the hot air coming out of the Looflighter is attractive when you really don't have time to wait for your fire, especially in light of Dennis' fondness for the hair dryer. I might give it a try now that bwright was kind enough to allay my fears. Interestingly enough, just this morning my husband was ranting about the childproof cap on a gas tank that he uses for the lawn mower and how it took the fellow at the local gas station almost ten minutes to get it off and that he is going to Connecticut next week to buy a new gas tank because they don't have the childproof requirements of New York.

BTW, I checked the True 'Cue starters on Amazon and they have them half price ($6.00) and eligible for free shipping with an order over $25.00.

Susan

Over the years I've used a MAPP torch, a modified Harbor Freight torch (Drunk J's design), a weed burner, chimney, but after getting a looftlighter a couple of months ago, there's really no looking back.

The switch doesn't require much pressure to hold down, and you have a tremendous amount of control over just how much coal you light and how hot it is.

I definitely recommend!

Mike

Torch is wireless' date=' and just as fast to light the fire[/quote']

I'm also a torch guy, but just curious: Is this assertion speculation (what we both want to believe) or have you actually made the comparison hands on?

Also, has anyone made the comparison, lighting extruded coconut charcoal?

My assertions are based on actual experience. I've not tried it yet on ECC, but on several loads of Royal Oak.

I'll try the ECC in the next few days and report on how it works.

My experience with Royal Oak, though (both fresh and previously lit) is that it lights faster and with much more control than any type of torch I've used, not to mention chimneys. Just my $.02 worth, but I'm hooked.

Mike

Thanks! I'm intrigued.

I can see having both a Looftlighter and a Mapp torch. For low and slow I always use a smoke pot. :idea: Part of setup is nestling the smoke pot over the middle of the charcoal, and getting a small fire to start first right under the smoke pot. Nothing beats a Mapp torch for this specific task, which heats up the smoke pot as an incidental benefit. I can imagine what I'd do if the Looftlighter was my only option, but it would be more awkward.

:idea: Two quart cast iron dutch oven, 3 1/8" holes in bottom, filled with chunks and/or chips of smoking wood, lid sealed on with flour paste. This is far more wood than one ever uses, going jungle, and the effect is simply different. We cannot conceive of going back.