bri134

New Member/Owner in the Nation's Capital

Hey Everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I absolutely love this community and its passion for outdoor cooking! I stumbled onto this site a couple years ago whilst doing 'homework' on smokers. I whetted my appetite with a Weber Bullet, which worked OK while I was stationed in Hawaii - many many smoked butts, tri-tips, rib roasts and various fowl were consumed all for the betterment of my outdoor cooking education. I've recently been transferred to the Baltimore/DC area and the colder temps just wreck my bullet temps, and my family and I have gotten used to year-round grilling and smoking.

So, after trying to convince the wife for the better part of 18 months that pulling the trigger on one of Dennis's gorgeous pieces of culinary art, she finally caved and here I am. I'm (im)patiently awaiting shipment of a 23" cream and gold pebbled masterpiece of grilling hardware.

At any rate, just wanted to say hey and to thank you all for the truly impressive amount of help, advice and reassurance you've given to people like myself that helped me take the KK plunge.

Cheers,

Brian

Re: New Member/Owner in the Nation's Capital

Brian, welcome aboard! Glad to hear you were able to convince your wife to commit to a KK, and of your recent arrival to the DC area. My wife took a bit of convincing, but she hasn't complained once since mine arrived about 3 yrs ago. I have a 3 rib Standing Rib Roast on right now, as a late Mothers Day dinner. I am about an hour south of DC. If you hurry, you could just about make it to dinner!! Tom

24 hours pre-arrival inject a pork butt and put in the fridge. Have hot batteries available for the camera. Set aside some tip money and or adult beverages for whoever is helping move the beast in place. Get your torch or charcoal chimney, if you don't have those yet. Go to Wal-Mart and buy six bags of Royal Oak lump. Join Amazon Prime and get free two day shipping on a Maverick or Oregon Scientific remote thermometer. I suggest the Oregon Scientific AW-131. If you are in to it, put a special cigar in the humidor. If you enjoy spirits of any sort, put a special bottle in the freezer, ice cold spirits are awesome! Get fresh spices to make up a good rub. Clean off your favorite outdoor chair and throw a cover over it. Find your rain gear, just in case it's raining that day. Clear the path from the drop-off point to the final resting spot. Get your 2x4's and pad them, if you will use that method to move the behemoth.

Wait.

I like Torano and CAO products mostly. Also Rocky Patel Sun Grown and also his Vintage 1992. Torano has a cigar you rarely see in stores or on the net. I call their office to get them sent to me. It is the red label Nicaraguan. Inexpensive and super flavorful!My favorite CAO varies between the Italia, Anniversaire, and the Criollo. They are all three damn good.

I know of, and also enjoy, the Toraño Nicaraguan Selection, although it is hard to find. From CAO, I like the Brazilia and the original red label Maduro. Unfortunately, I haven't really found anything by Rocky that I like enough to keep in regular rotation. Try the Toraño Exodus 1959 50th, it's a bit more complex than the regular Exodus 1959, which is already a great cigar. I am also really enjoying the Toraño Single Region Jalapa, which just came out last year. It is, as the name suggests, completely made of tobacco from Jalapa, Nicaragua.