bwright

Goat: Cabrito

Any ideas? I am cooking a very small goat today, about 3 1/2 lbs. Marinating w/white wine, thyme, lime rind and juice, garlic, onion, Jamaican mint leaves, salt and pepper. Guess I'll do it pretty slow for medium length of time. Trying to mimic cabrito from Guadalajara, MX. Will let you know how it comes out. Any thoughts on goat welcome. Going on in an hour or so. If you know anything and happen to be on line give me a call at 626 577 7852

Re: Goat: Cabrito

I cook cabrito just about every time I BBQ. Last time (about a week ago), I rubbed it with kosher salt, turbinado sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and a little cayenne. Then cooked it using the 3-2-1 method with hickory wood at 225 deg F. The goat usually weighs about 18 lbs. The rub may vary, but the cooking time, temp, wood and 3-2-1 method are always the same. The cabrito comes out great every time. For a really small goat, you might want to reduce the cooking time. Hope this helps.

The goats I buy are from local farmer/ ranchers, I buy what they call light weights, meaning the are in the 15 - 20 lbs range. they clean up ready for the pit at about 6- 12 lbs, I usually do the dirty work my self and quarter the animal, rub with garlic and crushed red pepper, oregano, salt. Add 10 lbs ice to a clean cooler, then the goat quarters, more ice to cover, 1 gallon of cider vinegar, and enough water to float the ice, let soak for 18 -24 hrs, cook at 225- 250 approx 4-6 hrs until tender. these goats usually cost about 20 -30 dollars each.

My wife and kids likes to pull the meat for tacos.

The goats I buy are from local farmer/ ranchers, I buy what they call light weights, meaning the are in the 15 - 20 lbs range. they clean up ready for the pit at about 6- 12 lbs, I usually do the dirty work my self and quarter the animal, rub with garlic and crushed red pepper, oregano, salt. Add 10 lbs ice to a clean cooler, then the goat quarters, more ice to cover, 1 gallon of cider vinegar, and enough water to float the ice, let soak for 18 -24 hrs, cook at 225- 250 approx 4-6 hrs until tender. these goats usually cost about 20 -30 dollars each.

My wife and kids likes to pull the meat for tacos.

Do you remove the skin?

So are you cooking a cut' date=' or a whole animal? It's really popular here in Texas, I have never cooked it.[/quote'] I cook goats that are cut into 12 pieces in total, i.e., each half is cut into six pieces. I cut the pieces up further after cooking them, but six pieces for each side is a good size for cooking. The goats I cook weigh between 15 and 20 lbs.