smokykensbbq

Perfect Brisket

This brisket turned out perfect! I rubbed this brisket with my homemade rub, wrapped it and let it sit overnight in the fridge and then smoked it with three kinds of wood on the KK for 9.5 hours until it hit 192. Pulled it off the KK wrapped it up and put it into the cooler for 45 minutes and then sliced it down! n68056

Re: Perfect Brisket

Do you cook with only wood? How do you keep it from getting bitter? What temp.

No, I usually cook with Royal Oak or Cowboy and then add chunks of wood to the fire while the temperature is getting up to where I put the meat on the smoker.

I have never had an issue with bitterness from smoke wood. I think the secret to smoke wood is to add a couple of chunks of the wood without getting the smoker too hot where the wood is catching fire. I will bring the smoker up to temperature (which is 225 degrees) with the smoke wood already on the coals in order to get that white smoke out of the way.

I will be doing a couple of pork butts this Friday night for a Saturday graduation party where I will use two different types of wood to bring out the best flavor. Once the pork butts are off I will be grilling up about around twenty five pounds of chicken breast for the same party! I will be very busy this weekend!!!