bri134

First Brisket Ever

Well I was pretty nervous about doing a brisket, I've read horror stories from other people about them being too dry, too tough etc. I put this on with 3 slabs of ribs - it was a 7.5-ish pound flat, and it took about 9 hours at 225-230 - foiled it with some apple juice at 165, pulled it at 205. 45 minute rest, then sliced and devoured. I was completely relieved to find that it was very moist and tender, and I actually lucked out and got the 'accordion' texture that everyone says you should shoot for, plus I got a pretty good smoke ring on it. :D Since I'd never done one before, I just poked around for a brisket rub and went with it - wasnt bad, wasnt fantastic; if anyone here has a good brisket rub that they wouldnt mind sharing, I'd love to try it out as the fam is asking for another brisket this weekend :)

fetch?id=68195fetch?id=68196fetch?id=68197

Re: First Brisket Ever

My favorite brisket rub is the Big Bad Beef Rub from amazingribs.com, here:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html

The Texas Barbeque Mop Sauce on the same site is a perfect compliment to the rub. Every time I have cooked a brisket following Meathead's instructions it has been a big hit.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

I really like the site, it has lots of background information as well as recipes. I've only had my KK for about a month and I haven't done a brisket on it yet. I'm sure it will be happening soon though.

Foiling at 165 is the key. I resisted foiling anything in the KK, thinking it was unnecessary, at first. But after my first foiled high temp brisket, I was converted! The first part of the cook prior to foiling gets the smoke ring and flavor. The second part after foiling gets the juicy tenderness. We have discussed this at great length, but for newer members, try a brisket both ways. You will never go back to unfoiled.

I live in Austin, TX. If you go to any BBQ restaurant in and around Austin, the only rub they use for brisket is Kosher salt and coarsely cracked black pepper in a ratio, by volume, of about 2 salt to 1 pepper. I use that rub myself when I BBQ brisket and the brisket always tastes great. I just rub it in the day before I BBQ. I use this simple rub for all beef that I BBQ, including short ribs, back ribs and chuck roasts.