rpadilla

outdoor kitchen

I'm new to the kk world and hope to have one once my new home is finished along with my outdoor kitchen. i originally wanted the kk with an gas grill. After further consideration I wonder if I should add a charcoal/wood grill with a grate which can be raised. I'm concerned that i'm making this too difficult and am only confusing the whole process. I also looked into the traeger grill perhaps in leiu of the kk because it can has a large cooking surface and I dont have to remove food in order to turn,move, or add meat. please give me your input on this whole mess I've created in my mind. I'm now reading that the traeger is poorly made as they have moved their maufacturing to China.

Re: outdoor kitchen

You probably will never use a gas grill once you cook on a KK! There are literally hundreds of posts attesting to this on the various ceramic cooker websites. However some on this forum have suggested a gas grill could come in handy for cooking/warming various side dishes while the KK is in use for the main meat course. If I were building an outdoor kitchen from scratch I would build the KK in as the main cooker and incorporate a secondary charcoal grill like a Weber. Or if you have the time to wait and the money, you could wait for the, hopefully soon to be available, KK Portable. I am in line for one. Or do as a few folks here do, have two KK's. Either both full sized, or one of the 19.5's as your secondary. Those of you forum members who never touched gas again after getting your KK might want to comment! A secondary KK will be far more versatile than a Traeger, and easier to fuel.

I'm in the two KK camp (one 23" and one 19.5" - but if I were to do it over again I'd do two 23"). I'm occasionally tempted by a Weber Performer or similar grill for quick burgers or brats, but the 19.5" isn't that much longer to get to temperature and is much more versatile (I use the big one for low and slow using extruded coco charcoal and mini-me for high temp with lump). I do, however, still use propane. I have a 65kBTU burner I use for a large outdoor wok and having a few more side burners for other stuff like simmering sauces would be useful. A gas grill, or even a Performer, would probably not be as valuable to me as extra counter and storage space or the holy grail of outdoor kitchens - the sink!

I had my outdoor kitchen built with the KK, a 42" Lynx Gas Grill, and Firemagic PowerBurner, and I still have my Imperial Kamado around as well. I still use all these heat sources frequently, particularly when cooking for a crowd.

I would not have it any other way.

Having a very large sink with a garbage disposal, as well as lots of electrical outlets has also come in very handy.

I mostly use the built-in KK for low and slow cooks.

thanks for all the great ideas and believe me i'm taking all input seriously. I am new to kk's however I have experience with bge's and want to make the leap to the kk Big Leagues.I had a bge and a 42" Alfresco gas grill. My concern is if I use the kk as the primary cooking medium I will run into problems when needing to cook for a large gathering needing high heat ( burger, steaks, dogs, etc.). This why I've been including a second grill although I hadn't considered another kk. I know the kk will do it all however for large gatherings is high temp cooking on one 23' kk feasable? Am I wrong in thinking that having to remove meat from the top grate in order to access the food on bottom grate in order to replace with more food to cook is a hassle? Is the bottom grate the best(only) postion for searing or can the higher positions work as well? What is your opinion on the rotisserie and any other accessories you have found useful? Are questions such as these best entered elsewhere on this site and finally thanks for taking time to help me.

I do burgers on the main grill all the time, unless you're looking for "black and blue" burgers you can probably even double up and use the upper grill at the same time. Steak is a little more difficult depending on the type (I like my sirloin at mid-high, but my filet seared), but typically the final/initial sear is done quickly so doing the bulk of the cooking, transferring to a plate (or second KK), and doing a quick sear assembly-line style seems pretty feasible as well.

However, I don't tend to cook for very large groups (I want to say 8 was my limit so far). What I don't like about the big gasser on the side is the propane vs. charcoal flavor. At grilling temps and with "junk meat" like burgers it's a bit more subtle, but it's still there - even if after the A1 or hot sauce it's mostly in my mind :)

Edit: The rotisserie is a neat toy, but personally I haven't found much use for it (which pains me because I know Dennis put a lot of effort into integrating it!). The tools you get for removing the grills are fantastic helpers, especially if you want to do a sear and remove the main grate while it's still hot. Beyond that, a GrillFloss for rough scaling, silicone gloves, and a long set of tongs are good additions.

You'll have to figure out for yourself how you like to light the thing. A charcoal chimney is good, many people like a MAPP torch, there's the propane option, and the little paraffin-foil starters. Many of these are best when paired with a chimney, so that's a good first purchase.

I also looked into the traeger grill perhaps in leiu of the kk because it can has a large cooking surface and I dont have to remove food in order to turn' date='move, or add meat. please give me your input on this whole mess I've created in my mind. I'm now reading that the traeger is poorly made as they have moved their maufacturing to China.[/quote']

I can answer the Traeger question as I got rid of one to move to ceramic. They are OK smokers, but pretty crappy at high temp grilling. I always felt that everything I ever cooked with one tasted the same...even with different pellets. And heaven forbid you ever get those pellets wet....ruined. Got rid of the Traeger and never looked back. The thing I love about the KK is it does everything well....from high temps to low.

-=J

what do you guys think about this outdoor kitchen grill line-up: lynx 42" gas grill, weber ranch kettle ( this is the xtra large char-coal grill), and a large kk. any ideas on changing one of these for another type or model, omitting one completely, etc. i'm thinking i'll use the kk for most of my cooking have the other grills for large gatherings when i may need larger cooking capability.

My 2cents... i think you can dump the gasser.

I only have KK, a 19.5 and a 23.

I have cooked for up to 60 people, 32# of butt and 30# of ribs, plus dogs, burgers for some of the guests.

I cooked all of that on the 23, butt over night, ribs came off as guests arrived, burgers and dogs on demand.

I believe that Chris Lilly had 8 butts on his 23 while doing the NYC cook out.

IT can turn out a large amount of bbq.

What are your opinions on removing the legs of a kk when it will be placed in an yet to be built outdoor kitchen. Should I keep it as originally designed in the unlikely event I may want to move it vs the ability to make it look permanent. Gonna break ground on the new house latter this month or early next. I can't wait to order my KK and get to cooking.

What are your opinions on removing the legs of a kk when it will be placed in an yet to be built outdoor kitchen.

The legs on a KK don't remove very easily (I'm sure it can be done, but you'd need some masonry skills and tools to do so without compromising the structure). However, Dennis did special craft one for swalatee79 - you can see a picture of it here (scroll down for some detail shots with the KK). Personally I like having the wheels so I can move it around if I need to, but his 19.5" does look right at home in his kitchen.

Keep the legs on. Somebody has one without legs and was having some moisture issues with it. If nothing else, the legs give you a purchase point to attach moving straps/ ropes. Can you imagine trying to move this beast without something to grab on to?! And no wheels? It's a no brainer.

Keep the legs on. Somebody has one without legs and was having some moisture issues with it. If nothing else' date=' the legs give you a purchase point to attach moving straps/ ropes. Can you imagine trying to move this beast without something to grab on to?! And no wheels? It's a no brainer.[/quote']

Let me comment on this since it is my case you refer to. The moisture issue is a minor issue that has been discussed with Dennis and others on another thread and is easily being addressed with their input I received. It may well not be applicable nor relevant in his specific instance.

For a custom outdoor kitchen with built-ins, his decision on how to proceed should be guided by the actual design of the kitchen and its intended use. For a built in application there is typically no need or plan to move the grill around, and other considerations may come into play such as ensuring that that the cooking surface is at counter height. I suggest that he let his kitchen design determine whether he keeps the legs or not. In my case I chose to go without.

Dennis was kind enough to build my KK to specifications and I remain extremely pleased with it.

P.S. Other have also suggested that rpadilla not include a Gas Grill, I say if he wants to include a built-in gas grill he should go for it. I included a Gas Grill and Power Burner in my kitchen along with the KK and I am glad I did. I posit that the decision criteria for a complete custom outdoor kitchen are some what different than for freestanding cookers.

Help! Have been trying to contact dennis this wk (email, phone, etc) to no avail. I know this is not the proper channel to do so however I,m short on time. Traveling to L.A. area tomorrow (7-26) and had hoped to see the kk in Carpenteria but was told it is no longer there. I,m hoping there are kk,s in inventory in the L.A. area I can view. Any help is greatly appreciated.